sammiejo63

Awkward Victorian terrace house lay out - advice needed!

sammiejo63
8 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi there, I am new on Houzz and could really do with some advice and sharing of information. When we brought our house it had the most awkward lay out ever and now its time to change it!

For some reason our stairs are at the back on the opposite side to the front door and the garden door is at the base of these stairs. Meaning the front door is next to the lounge. Plus the roof is a butterfly or London roof making an extension more expensive and difficult.

Does anyone else have a similar floor plan and have you moved the stairs or done renovation works to change the lay out to a more traditional lay out?

We are trying to figure out the best and most cost effective renovations to do. We definitely want to keep 3 bedrooms ideally with separate entrances (so we don't have to walk through one to get to the other). We don't mind a downstairs bathroom but we want to extend the kitchen either by stealing room from the living room (but this is complicated by location of stairs and garden door) or by doing an extension (but would be last resort because of cost).

I have tried googling what others have done or looking for floorplans for neighbouring houses but to no avail! I would appreciate any help, advice or signposting! Many thanks,

Comments (17)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.