pumilionis

Kitchen cabinet help

pumilionis
8 years ago

I just moved into a new place and I really dislike our kitchen. Due to finances, anything I do will be DIY. I originally thought about painting the cabinets white, but with the beige walls, beige-y countertop, beige-y floor, and white appliances (none of which are going anywhere), I don't think white would be much of an improvement. Any suggestions? Or should I just learn to live with it as is?

Close up of countertop and floor.

Comments (21)

• Vicki Denson
    8 years ago

Your appliances are white, your counter top looks as if it has white in it, and your floor seems to have a small amount of white. White would look good. It would be easier to pick up a darker beige from the counter tops and paint your walls a darker color. Your cabinet wouldn't stand out as much.

• Gaby Berman
    8 years ago
    You should get some new appliances
  • Related Discussions

Need help with Kitchen especially pelmet!

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks for all the replies. I have the blind ordered so I cannot change this. However, if it were to be fitted to the outside frame of the window, it would be let down on top of the tap. I`m not planning on tiling, as we`ve recently repainted the kitchen. I am trying to attach some photos from this website to show examples of pelmets that may work. Is there a way to do this??
    ...See More

Help???!! What colour for kitchen cabinets please??

Q

Comments (0)
    What colour should I paint these kitchen cabinets?
    ...See More

kitchen refresh needed- new wall and cabinet paint

Q

Comments (8)
    I painted my kitchen three years ago, and I love it. It's hard work and can take some weeks to do. You need to take doors off, remove the hinges and handles. Remember you need to prime and paint two coats on each side, so for a door that equates to six coats of paint and letting each coat dry. I used Mylands of London paint, I'm just hooked on this paint as the eggshell is dead flat with only 8 percent sheen, you wont get another paint any flatter. And if the paints good enough for Downtown Abbey, then it's good enough for us. I would hold back on painting wall tiles, as they are white and look fine , paint the cupboards first and see what it looks like. I choose Myalnds paint and had the colour mixed in a farrow and ball blue green. See photos. Good luck Yvonne
    ...See More

Need help with my new kitchen

Q

Comments (3)
    There's a lot of cream/same colour in that room. You could contrast or offset. Try glass fronted wall cabinets in, say, blue. Or open shelving to display pictures, books, colourful jars etc.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Stone Harbor Hardware
    8 years ago

Paint is a relatively inexpensive update, and it would definitely change the look of the kitchen. I'd change the cabinet hardware as well - maybe something sleek and simple? There are lots of options for knobs and pulls. Good luck!

Douglas Cabinet Collection · More Info

Contemporary Square Cabinet Collection · More Info

128mm Curtiss Pulls · More Info

Curtiss Cabinet Knob · More Info

• PRO
    Lindsay O. Creative
    8 years ago

I like the warmth that the cabinetry adds to the room, but I would change the hardware. If you're going to do any update, I would replace the countertop and add a tile backsplash.

• PRO
    VT Industries
    8 years ago

There is a tool on our website that allows you to play with different cabinet, wall, countertop and floor options. www.vtindustries.com Hopefully that will help! Good luck!!

• pumilionis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I would love new appliances, but this is a very inexpensive townhouse and the original appliances are serviced by the townhouse association. So, the white stove and white fridge are unfortunately here to stay. This is just our starter home anyway, and our plan is to be out in 5 years.

I have been looking into the Rustoleum's Transformation System! I was not sure which color to go with for our kitchen. Perhaps the linen would bring out the beige in the floor and countertop. Thank you for the trim suggestion, I was already looking at DIY guides for that, but it is nice to have confirmation.

• retroearth
    8 years ago

I like the cabinets and white appliances. They work together in a mid-century retro way. The blotchy counter tops and floor are not too appealing. Replace them with solid colored or vintage patterned laminate and vinyl. Look at retrorenovations website for ideas.

• jonathan3
    8 years ago

How old is your house? Those cabinets look like birch plywood with years of clear shellac or polyurethane or maybe even an oil-based product. I do not think you can simply paint over that finish. Please find someone who knows wood and their finishes before you take on a job better left to the professionals and end up very sorry. I have painted old cabinets and they looked better but the finish never looked professional. Look for kitchens with light maple finishes and see if you like any of the color combinations. You might find a wall color and knobs that you like with your cabinets. Painting the walls and/or ceiling would be a better place to start on a limited budget. Changing the knobs and pulls will also update this room. If you search photos on this site, you may also find an accent color that would help you choose a color for your walls and maybe a rug for this space. I think you just might like this space better if you cleared all the clutter, even the photos on the fridge because it looks like every inch of workspace is full. Only keep items on the counter that are used everyday and a display board somewhere else could be used for the photos. Also, it looks like a former owner already changed the flooring and the counters to update this space.

• pumilionis
    Original Author
    8 years ago

A little more info about our place.

These townhouses were built in 1966. My in-laws purchased our unit in 2010 for $38,000 (3 bedroom, 1.5 bath, finished basement). The most expensive unit I have seen listed in this complex was $56,000. As such, our updates will be very limited (hence my attempts at DIY-ing) because we don't want to put more money into this place than we could hope to get back.

I moved in with my husband a few months ago. Updates that were done by a contractor at that time (without my input) include: new laminate kitchen countertop (pictured), dishwasher installed (there wasn't one before), painted walls, ceiling, and trim on main floor, new light fixtures in kitchen and bathrooms, new carpet on two floors, new tile floors in the 2 bathrooms, two new toilets, new surround in shower & tub refinished, new sink in half bathroom.

Redoing the kitchen floor would be too costly in light of the updates already done and the overall value of this unit. So, the counters and floors in the kitchen are here to stay. Since the walls and ceiling were just painted professionally, I would prefer not to mess up their good job.

• Carol Johnson
    8 years ago
    Painting cabinets is not an easy task. I'd look at cabinet hardware & accessories.
  • Kris Mays
    8 years ago

White would look very nice. You cold also have fun with a color, too. You really have a blank slate, there.

• rosiegabby
    8 years ago
    I think new appliances and hardware is a better option. You could find some scratch and dent stainless steel appliances at an outlet.
  • User
    8 years ago

According to what I've been seeing you are ahead of the curve. Slab cabinet doors are showing up more and more, I would not paint the cabinets, just a good cleaning and new hardware.

Try using the shelf for china display, just a few pieces. You seem short on storage. Are you using bins in the cabinets? You'd be surprised at how much space there really is in the lowers. If you clear a lot off the counter you'll lighten up the appearance and the kitchen will be more useful. If you have a garage a wire etagere can store many seldom used things. Pare down your kitchen equipment to the things that do more than one function. You do not need to spend a lot of money, it's all in the organization. Pick a color you love and use it for accessories. You will have an updated and functional kitchen.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago

I think I would do all the rest of the things you want to do to the unit to make it yours before I considered anything in the kitchen.

McLean Gardens Condo Kitchen · More Info

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

The kitchen is quite nice I think, but needs order and all the stuff put in storage items that look decorative. Two appliances tops on counters and then creative ideas for other storage in the home. If I were to do anything I would invest in a nice backsplash. Use something simple like subway tile in an interesting pattern to give the room some sparkle. Also puck lights under cabinets will add pizazz at night.

If a backsplash is not in the budget and sometimes they are not; I have been saving for a backsplash so I understand! But a modern stencil design could be done in a strong accent color on the backsplash and the soffit. Use a color that is seen in an adjacent room.

You kitchen has this feel n the picture; you could invest in the long handles as mentioned above. This kitchen has ss appliances but you do not see them and I think your white appliances look great.

Note that all items in the picture on counters are decorative so limiting your counter appliances on two different areas will remove the lined up look which makes your kitchen look crowded and translates as no room. It takes work to organize everything in creative and artistic ways, but a small kitchen cooks fast and cleans even faster.

• Susan Davis
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My daughter has a drying pad and they are so sleek. I am buying a couple for my kitchen because they are clean and absorb all that water!

This is a stencil that cool and doable either by your self or hired out as you have such a small space.

Kitchen Backsplash · More Info

• brickln
    8 years ago

Another vote for no paint on the cabs. Black glass backsplash, or paint if you don't want to make that investment.

• Michelle Bruner
    8 years ago
    Annie Sloan chalk paint does wonders. No prep .. No sanding or anything. It may seem expensive but it goes a long way. Google it and you can see painted kitchen cabinets. Beautiful
  • pumilionis
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I did stain our bathroom vanity and added new hardware with some success, which is why I felt ok taking on the kitchen. But maybe I'll just leave things alone.
  • enjoyablejobby
    8 years ago

We bought all the kitchen appliances online from http://www.gerhardsappliance.com/ge-monogram.html

Wonderful quality,loved the website and the product.

• PRO
    FATHOM design company
    8 years ago

Here is a unique color I chose for kitchen cabinets.

My New Mexican Casa Renovation · More Info

I used similar hardware to yours so you wouldn't have to change that. That gets expensive.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.