webuser_778500022

help with living room rug and couch set up!

AJ
last year

I have learned over the past month I am not a designer as much as I’d like to be :)

We have an open floor plan and I’m trying to pick a rug for our living room, get a coffee table, and place the couches in the best spot.

A little background - I have a jumble of colors so I am changing our drapes to a light color with a champagne gold curtain rod. I’m going to move the grey couches to the basement when it’s finished and likely get an L shaped cream colored couch in its place. I think the grey chairs will have to go too, but I’m having some difficulty designing this room. I’ve purchased and returned four rugs so now I’m thinking it’s me, not the rug!

From what I have read, the rug should be at least a foot on either side of the couches and either all the legs or at least the front legs should be on the rug. It just isn’t working with the rugs I’ve ordered.

I ordered a 10x14 rug and it was so long it crouched in on the kitchen stools a bit too much. Flipped the other way it was flush with the wall (I read that is not good) so it seemed just a few feet too big.

This rug here (shown) is 9x12. It seems good for the length side to side but the width seems small (the couch doesn’t sit all the way on it) and I feel like it makes the living room look smaller?

Ideally I think I need a 11x12 or 12x12 rug but I can’t find one anywhere in a neutral color.

Any thoughts? I’m a bit desperate for help. I’ll take any advice - rug size, couch and rug placement, coffee table shape, additional items needed, anything!

Thank you so much!!

Comments (12)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.