fragle0

Help with my living room

Caitriona
Hi everyone who can help. This is my third time putting up this message but I dont get any replies :(
Disaster with wallpaper #whatwasithinking. Want to change it but am finding it really difficult. I want to enhance the mirror and for that to be the feature in the room. any suggestions as to what wallpaper would be best? Soft light grey maybe? The couch is black with white/black cushions and the curtains are a purple. I need to change out layout of room also but will concentrate on wallpaper first.

• Caitriona
    This correct?
  • Caitriona
    Those measurements OK CDR? Sorry to be a pain
  • Related Discussions

Need help for my living room colour scheme!

Q

Is the chandelier thing seeming a bit small for the room or is it just me? Given that your walls are plain, the sofa is plain how about a patterned rug? Do you like Persian rugs? I find that dark green wainscotting too heavy and would paint it a lighter color. Given you have just moved in I assume you are planning to be there a while. If you like traditional style do you want a fairly safe color scheme re walls and curtains, keeping future resale in mind. Or are u happy to decorate according to your tastes? The mirror seems a bit small to me.
    ...See More

Need help with my living room

Q

Photos of the living room is helpful.
    ...See More

need help with my living room

Q

Hello CG, you can buy some of these and try them on site. From the pictures you posted I get the feeling you have 2 colors with similar saturation both fighting for attention. It's a little too much. I would keep the green but go softer on the red (i.e rust). You can also let yourself be inspired by the grey/silver/bordeaux floral and stripe pillows to create a brand new color scheme using these colors instead. For example, a very soft gray on the walls, gray carpet, grey/bordeaux combo in the curtains and for the sofa accents, pillows similar to these 2. It's decision time. Go for what speaks to you, but do it with elegance :-)
    ...See More

Need help for my kitchen living room

Q

I'm thinking the same way Darzy,maybe I will go with all the same or find a nice tile. I am getting ready to refit my kitchen so may need some help.i am thinking of a grey coloured farrow and ball colour on the bottom cabinets and white on the top. On the back wall of the kitchen I have a brick chimney hood so this time I would like to do something different and not as bulky looking so was thinking of doing a small mantle and just putting a downdraft behind my cooking hob if anyone can advise does the downdrafter really work?
    ...See More
    CDR Design, LLC
    Yes, Fragle, that will work. Based on you having said that the open space is approximately 96 inches by 96 inches. (Length of couch is 96 Inches and distance from couch to chairs is 96 inches).
  • Caitriona
    Thank you. I will double check when I get home that the measurements of the open space is correct
  • Caitriona
    Guess what??

So I was browsing yesterday in a furniture shop and saw a grey ottoman......i thought oh thats nice, that would work in our room but was afraid to look at the price. When I looked i couldnt believe it...75 euro /100 usd. I couldnt believe it!! Joe was with me and agreed that it would work. I have been to this shop a hundred times but this is new in and theres a sale on.

I am still waiting on the carpenter guy to get back to me, have been waiting almost 2 months now and thats just for a price! And I have phoned him 3 times about it. The reason I was holding out for him was because I know he does excellent work. Anyway I am getting peed off at him now.

So the ottoman is grey, the same as the curtains, I have tried all morning to look for a picture of it but cant get one, its not on the furnitures shop website and I didnt have my phone with me that day to take a picture. Its small at 37 inches all around but what about getting two of them??

It will be longer then that 2/3rds of the couch but would it work??

Would grey work? I have ordered one anyway cause she said there low stock (course she did)
  • Caitriona
    CDR Design, LLC
    Good find! We said your open space was 96" x 96".

So, if you bought 2 of them, they would take up a space of 37 x 74". I think the length would be fine at 74.

The width (37) will take up only a little more than a 3rd of the space. I think it will look fine, given that the room is sort of a walk-through area. But, you will not be able to reach to put your feet on it, if that is your desire.

You could buy 4 of them. Then you would have only 11 inches on each side between the seating area and the ottoman.

Conclusion: I think it is worth a try, buying 2 of them (as long as you can return them).
  • Caitriona
    Super, thats great. Ill ring and order two and ensure I can return. woo hoo
  • swetman
    Love all the changes you have done , great job getting rid of the wall paper what an improvement. I just can't get over the round mirror have you tried a rectangular one just for interest sake?
  • motupeg
    The ottoman looks great Fragle. I invision your little one standing next to it with her toys.
  • moggie73
    fragle, looks as though your patience has paid off. Nice find(s). Will be fun to see.
  • Caitriona
    Thanks all. Do ye think a grey ottoman will work??
    CDR Design, LLC
    I think if you keep the rug light, it will work. You haven't bought the rug yet, right?
  • Caitriona
    no, no rug yet, Joe of course cant see why we need a new rug. He wants to put our money into the family room.

U think a new rug is imperative?
  • Caitriona
    FINALLY a new ottoman!

A bit small and two would be too big but I really like it.

What you all think?
  • Caitriona
    .
    CDR Design, LLC
    It looks really nice!

Rug: yes, it is too small. Is it "imperative" that you buy a new one? No. No decor item fits into that category.

One idea you could try, until a new rug is in the budget: Angle both the rug and the ottoman. So, the ottoman would sit diamond-shaped and the rug would be turned accordingly.

It is worth a try and I think would make the rug appear like it has a larger footprint.
  • Jacque Fraser
    Why don't you try changing the colour of the walls to Egyptian cotton. Also try a lighter wallpaper, similar print but with light purple/lavender, cream in it? The picture below is just to let you see the paint colour. Goes with many other prints and colours. Good luck.
  • motupeg
    Jacque, Fragle redid the entire room. See April 27 entry.
  • motupeg
    I like your ottoman Fragle. The rug will come another time.
    CDR Design, LLC
    The other thing you could try, Fragle is to totally remove the rug.
  • Caitriona
    Thank you!! I will try both....angle rug and ottoman and remove rug altogether xx
    CDR Design, LLC
    Also, right now outdoor rugs are on sale. A lot of people use outdoor rugs indoors. The only problem I see with it is I think you would have a hard time finding one in the color you want and if it is just a temporary fix, maybe a waste of $.
  • Caitriona
    Tried the diamond shape but didn't look right.

What about this...... With no rug?
    CDR Design, LLC
    I think it looks better without the rug.
  • Caitriona
    Hi all, it's been a long time since I wrote on this post, hope people are still around.

I've been waiting and waiting and looking for a rug for this room and they have either been crazy expensive or just not big enough ( it's actually very hard to find a rug bigger then 160 x 230 here) and I've tried and tried to get one made to size but can't justify the price.

I've been waiting on the sale on one particular store and it was finally on today, went up and the biggest was 160 x 230, not much bigger than what I already have there so hard again to justify the price. 380 euro down to 330euro.

What do ye think? This is way room is now
  • Caitriona
    Or should I just park this issue altogether and be happy with the room as it is now?

I'm pretty happy with it, maybe 80%
  • Avery
    last modified: 6 years ago

Hi, it looks like you've done a great job.....and yes enjoy the room and the "fruits of your labor". :-)

In the meantime, keep an eye out for potential rugs and sales at your favorite stores (online and brick and mortar) for the "one" that will make you 110% happy! It's ok to wait for the right rug....and there's a good chance that you'll find it when you least expect to.

• Caitriona
    Thank you Avery. This room has been going on for about 18 months now, losing the will with it!
    CDR Design, LLC

Fragle, I think the rug in there is too small, especially with the large ottoman. It's been awhile, but if you cannot justify paying for a larger rug, one options to remove the existing rug altogether.

Second option is to wait until you find something at a price you like.

• papoodles

Use what you have now- and start a savings kitty for when you find that beautiful larger rug :-) Can you find on in the UK?

• Caitriona
    Ok thank you. I'll keep on look out
  • Caitriona
    Hi all whoever is still with me on this one.

So found another carpet shop, very helpful and I think the cheapest I am going to get for what I want.

So, the rug, the rug, the rug, I have my own head and everyone else's head wrecked about the rug!!

Found a nice sample, just back to size. I've gone through all the posts again and it's either to to be two foot out from the perimeter of the room or else to go just under the legs of the couch and the armchairs.

Correct??

Just have few queries? If we wanted to change the furniture or layout of the furniture would we be stuck then with a rug that doesn't suit?
    CDR Design, LLC

The safest plan (given you could want to change the furniture in the future) is to buy a rug, leaving 2 feet on the perimeter. You did not want to include the bay window area in this, as I recall. So the rug would be a rectangle.

Memorial Day here is the US: honoring all those who gave their lives in battle for our freedom today.

• Caitriona
    Oh wow, is that a big day? Public holiday?

Have a good time however you celebrate.

Would it look weird not being in the bay window?

Do you like the color?

Any other options with a potential furniture change in maybe 5 years? As that I know will be expensive for rug that size
  • Caitriona
    Ps I love this room CDR, thanks so much
  • Caitriona
    Hi cdr, can I trouble you again with the above questions?
    CDR Design, LLC

I am a little confused. Is the rug you are showing on the floor the existing rug or the rug?

The color of the small sample looks fine. The rug on the floor now is too small.

In my opinion, with that large ottoman, the minimum you need (fireplace to bay window length) is at least the width of the sofa and the rug needs to extend (sofa to chairs) at least under the legs of both the chair side and the sofa side.

Best for future: 2 feet from the edges.

You do not have to include the bay window area.

• Caitriona
    Ok thank you
  • Caitriona
    Baby girl born yesterday, 8lbs 6oz. Name undecided! ❤️❤️❤️❤️All went well
  • motupeg

Ohhh, How wonderful! Congratulations to you and your family!

• moggie73

What wonderful news! Welcome to your precious daughter. Hugs.

• Caitriona
    Thank you xxx
  • moggie73

fragle, I have been wondering your daughter's name? Are you getting any sleep? You must feel so proud of all you accomplished before she arrived. What a lovely home for your wee ones.

• Caitriona
    Moggie, thank you so much. You are so sweet.

Olivia Maria.

She's as good as gold and sleep is not too bad, getting a few hours here and there. She's a real pleasure

Xxxxxx
  • papoodles

I've been thinking of you,Fragle - I remember those sleepless nights when the babies first came home and everyone was sleep deprived but life-as -always still had to go on, esp for Mommy. So happy for you that you have a 'good' baby, I love the name too:-)

• Caitriona
    Papoodles, you just make me cry. She's a pure joy and my emotions are still all over the place.

Yes, life goes on and what a pleasure it is. They bring you so much joy

Thank you papoodles
  • moggie73
    last modified: 5 years ago

How perfectly precious! Welcome to the world, little Olivia Maria.

• papoodles

Olivia is just beautiful!! :-) Love the photo of your two girls- I bet they'll be fast friends for life, judging by the love in their eyes. Soo happy for your family..

Nandina Home & Design

Our projects might help!

Classic Inspired · More Info

Modern Art Loft · More Info