gayletm

Need help with living room furniture choices

Gayle
Hi there,
I have a long rectangular shaped living space with a dining area at one end and living room area at the other. I recently bought an L shaped sectional couch which goes against one of the long walls.

I'm trying to decide what furniture to put on the opposite side of the room (by the large window with wooden venetian blinds) in order to balance the room out and make it less one sided.

I have this red armchair which I like. Does the white Eames chair work beside it or does this now make that side of the room too "busy"? Does the simple little end table work better beside the red armchair and leave it at that?

Would welcome your opinions! :-)

• Gayle
    Few more photos
  • Related Discussions

need help with open plan kitchen /living room

Q

I agree with everything said so far. Would suggest you get built in book shelvers on both sides of fireplace, lift tv into a slot it fits perfectly into (make sure you have power on both sides). Then it will disappear more rather than fight with fireplace as focal point. I am always disappointed with mirrors over fireplaces, they become dark, are to high to reflect much. Plus then you have three rectangles fighting for center stage. I'd say very colorful artwork instead. Wonder if you can reorient tv where the big chairs are so both tv and fireplace are addressed? Color, maybe you should decide on furniture first?
    ...See More

Need help deciding on furniture for my open plan living rm & sun rm

Q

When you get rid of the brown leather furniture, I suggest you again get a sofa and 2 chairs as they will offer you more flexibility than a sectional sofa. You may even have space for a sofa and 4 chairs, or sofa and 3 chairs. It totally depends on your space and layout. Your choice for your sun room furniture should complement the living room, but be somewhat different. You may want to use lighter colors in the sun room section and more plants. The lighter colors will better withstand the fading problems that sun can cause and the plants will benefit from the sun.
    ...See More

Need help with my L Shaped Living room

Q

Hi. The picture hasn't attached.
    ...See More

need help for my living room /dining room want fancy doors with glass.

Q

my room is 42 square yards, want to divide it with folding doors to bring in light to room.want a unique door with glass.to give effect.i have a 2plus 2 plus snuggler suite in one room , dining table 6 chairs in another
    ...See More
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Put print pillows like in white chair to sofa.
    Gayle thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Gayle
    Hi TravisInteriors, thanks so much for your comment. That's really helpful.
    No, only have one of the white chairs. I think you're right that it's too much so it will go. Will I keep the little silver side table beside the red chair?
    Completely agree about the mirror over the fireplace needing to be replaced by art. Have been looking out for a nice graffiti/pop art piece to go there but haven't found anything I love yet. But it's on the to do list! Thanks again
    Staged for Perfection
    Looks good. I like what travis said about the chairs. Add a huge piece of art above the fireplace and go bigger above the sofa. For me the TV stand is too low and therefore looks too small. It is not balanced with the bookcase on the left. I think get a Tv stand that is higher - maybe the same height as top of doors on bookcase. Everything else is great!
    Gayle thanked Staged for Perfection
  • unwantedadvice
    candeela, your living space is very nice. I would prefer to see one more Eames chair with small table between than the red chair. Not balanced correctly with red and white chair together. Can you use red chair someplace else? Since you have the sectional, I think two smaller scaled chairs would look better. :)
    Gayle thanked unwantedadvice
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    I'm not liking the bookcase on wall by red chair. Remove and add a floor mirror in dark frame. 6 ft. To add interest on that side. Remove 1/2 the things on bookcase by firepl. Looks cluttered. When rest of room is minimal. Less is more. Add a couple of bowls in red or yellow.
    Gayle thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Table by chair is fine.
  • Gayle
    Hi Staged For Perfection,
    Thanks so much for your advice. Good advice about the tv stand - I hadn't ever noticed that it wasn't balanced with the bookcase but now you say it seems obvious! I'll see if I can get legs for the current unit to make it higher.
    Thanks also for the advice about the art - I will have fun looking for some new pieces!
  • Gayle
    Hi Travis, yes the storage unit on the wall by red chair isn't the prettiest! It stores several hundred cds and is fairly flush to the wall, I chose it for it's practicality rather than it's beauty...! I would love to get rid of it but not sure where all the cds would go... If I could find a more attractive unit for doing the same job that would be good.

Will see if I can remove some of the items from the bookcase to left of fireplace - I agree that it would look better with less on it.
  • m3459
    candeela, in reference to balancing the low tv stand and the bookcase, you can balance this by re-installing the shelf above the television at the same height as the top of the bookcase and then work on the entire with placement of art. Also, pay attention to height and scale and balance on that wall as a whole when you are placing objects on the shelf or bookcase or mantel. Great room, by the way. You are well on your way. Just a little tweaking is all that is needed.
    Gayle thanked m3459
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Didn't know people still had CDs.? Can't you just down load all onto your computer or IPod? Really no reason to have. Maybe could store in closet.
  • Gayle
    Ah I like having the cds for old times sake! I was an avid cd buyer in my 20's and still like to buy the original cd if I really like the album, to support the artist. But I take your point :-) Thanks
  • leelee
    Pull the red chair in so its front feet are on the rug. Move the shelves that are next to the FP. You need a much larger picture for over the sofa. Move the pic that's over the sofa now over the fireplace. A horizontal pic over sofa will work better than a vertical.
    Gayle thanked leelee
  • Gayle
    Hi m3459,
    Thanks for your comment. So you think the shelf above the tv would look better installed at the same height as the top level of the bookcase on the left of the fireplace? I thought that might look a bit "matchy matchy" hence installing it a little higher. But I was probably wrong!!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Lee lee great art.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    I don't think shelve over TV is the problem. As what is on it. Remove all, replace with 3 tall pots 2 ft and under to corner only. Go black and white chevron,or another contemporary look. Ikea has.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    You have a great eye, and a good design sense. Keep up the good work. P.S. You are supporting the artist, when you download from ITunes. Also. Just sayin.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Vertical art over firepl. Bring eye up.
  • Gayle
    last modified: 7 years ago
    Thanks Travis for the nice comments. Take your point about iTunes, very true ;-)

Chevron pots on that shelf sound like a nice look. are you meaning 3 pots towards the corner (end) of the shelf, leaving the rest of the shelf empty?

Regarding artwork I think as a temporary measure I might replace the mirror over the fireplace with the print that is currently over the sofa. And then I'll go looking for a large horizontal piece to go over the sofa, with bold colours. I like the art that leelee suggested.
  • Gayle
    last modified: 7 years ago
    Maybe something like this over the sofa? It's 140cm x 100cm ( 56" x 40" inches)
  • leelee
    Found art on etsy.
  • leelee
    Candeela, love your rug and the b&w swirl pillow on the red chair.
  • Gayle
    Thanks leelee!
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    Sounds good try art over firepl. Z Galleries has some great stuff for over sofa. Yes just 3 pots, nothing else. Remember you do not and should not, put items on every surface. Remove things from room don't add.
    Gayle thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Gayle
    @travisinteriors Thanks - will check Z Galleries out. I pulled the red seat away from the window last night and angled it slightly towards the tv. Looks good, focuses the attention towards the centre of the room. Thanks for your advice
  • hgtvobsessed
    Hi, have you considered rotating the sectional to face the fireplace wall, the chaise would then be parallel to the window and you could set up the red chair and silver table by the bookcase as a reading vignette and at the same time still face the TV since it's angled that way anyway. Lowering the shelf at the height of the bookcase to add symmetry sounds good as well. Not sure if this would be too tight but it would feel more intimate. You could then set up a sofa/console table behind the sofa with storage and put all you CDs and DVDs there. Oh, big art work a must. Good luck! Hope you post pics of the changes you decide to make!
    Gayle thanked hgtvobsessed
  • Gayle
    @hgtvobsessed Thanks very much for your comment and advice. I really like the sound of that layout however unfortunately the room isn't quite wide enough, in my opinion, to have the sectional facing the fireplace. I used to have that kind of layout and I felt that it chopped the room in half and also meant the natural walkways through the room were cut off, I always felt like I was having to walk around the furniture. Thanks for your feedback though, much appreciated.
    I've been looking up some art online and am going to try to make some purchases this weekend. I will put up pictures once I've made some changes!
  • Gayle
    Just a little update.. Added legs to the tv unit to raise it up. Pulled the red chair out from the window, and de-cluttered the shelf over the tv a little. Still sourcing new art but hoping to have it soon!
    KURTINZ.COM
    you did well Candeela.. waiting to see the final result of your living room. And i would like to suggest this cushion fabric design to your red chair and put wall light.
    Gayle thanked KURTINZ.COM
  • unwantedadvice
    candeela, amazing how nice the tv cabinet looks with legs. Good job!
    Gayle thanked unwantedadvice
  • Gayle
    Latest update!
    Made a few changes to the book cabinet to the left of the fireplace. Added chrome legs to match the legs on the tv cabinet and added doors to the top half to try to make it look less cluttered. The lighting in the photos isn't great but hopefully you get the idea.Am quite pleased with the result.

Am still trying to decide on art for over the fireplace, keep changing my mind but considering getting this canvas (see picture).
  • Gayle
    last modified: 7 years ago
    or this is another canvas I like - they're basically the same piece with slight colour variations. They're both approx 30" x 20". Is that big enough or should I be aiming for something larger again? Would welcome your opinions! Thanks
  • unwantedadvice
    candeela, another great update! All looks quite cohesive along that wall. I prefer the balloon print on final pic. Balloon is heading into your space, if you know what I mean. Wonderful job with all your color choices.
    Gayle thanked unwantedadvice
  • unwantedadvice
    Another thing you could do about the art is tape off the dimensions over your couch and you should get a better idea about size for that space.
  • Gayle
    @unwantedadvice Good idea about taping the area, will do that! Thanks
  • unwantedadvice
    You're welcome!
  • Gayle
    What do you all think of this zebra print canvas that I got for over the sectional?
  • unwantedadvice
    Ooh, I like! Looks nice. :))