gayletm

Need help with sofa choice for living room

Gayle
Hi there,
I have a long rectangular open plan living & dining room with a kitchen off it at one end. At the other end there is a fireplace and along one of the long walls is a large floor to ceiling window &door opening to a balcony.

When we bought the place we got 2 black leather couches, a matching 3 and 2 seater.

I have always wondered if we should in fact have got a sectional L shaped sectional couch instead of the 2 couches as I feel that having the 2 seater couch going across the middle of the room divides it in half too much. I tried having the 2 couches facing each other but decided I didn't like having one against the wall with the big window as it blocks the light.

I would appreciate opinions!
I have attached photos of the current set up and also of a sectional I'm thinking of buying (except in black not brown) to replace the 2 existing couches.

• Gayle
    Here are some more photos including the sectional I'm thinking about getting and a panoramic shot of the room.
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    The sectional would be in balance with the lines of the room. Low and simple in the design, nothing that looks like it needs to go on a diet.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with my living room please

Q

Seeing it as an almost whole, I do think now that I like the soft, patterned curtain for the room. It could become overly severe, and that would be enough to stop that happening. Second thought, you don't need a side table for the sectional, but you do need something there to hold a lamp -- silver or glass would probably be best. The stand could be very plain, a box shape, even, in the same finish as the wood you already have. I liked these from wayfair.com -- though I might change the shades on a couple of them. Not that they're bad. The last one is an alternative approach if you fancy a bit of colour a-poppin'.
    ...See More

Need help for my living room

Q

Black Leather couch, Red Deal timber fooring, black kingstar fire insert with black granite heart, choclate brown UPVC tilt and turn windows. What paint colourshould I put on the walls? Should I stain the wood floor to a darker colour?
    ...See More

Need help matching new living room blinds to our furniture

Q

Thanks so much Studio M Interior Design! I feel much happier with my decision to go with those blinds after your lovely feedback :) I think a blue rug sounds lovely and I could keep it small. I also need to buy a very small nest of tables and some cushions, any suggestions on colours very welcome! All the best Evelyn
    ...See More

Need help with TV placement and decor ideas for compact living room

Q

I think the only place you could put a tv is probably the corner by the window...over the fireplace is probably too high. a walnut floor and new fresher paint colour would be lovely, would you consider painting the skirting boards and fireplace white or off white to modernise them a bit? we've painted the skirting in our living room (also a walnut floor) and it looks so much better than before. (Have yet to get around to the rest of the house!!)
    ...See More
  • Gayle
    Thanks. The one I'm thinking of is the brown one in the photo except in black. It's 90cm high. I'm just a bit concerned that since the L section would be by the doorway that it might create a bit of a tunnel effect at the entrance.
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    But you alreay have that with the placement of the sofa and loveseat. It will be GREAT
  • Gayle
    True, although the loveseat is a bit away from the doorway (further into the room) whereas the sectional would be right up beside the door.
    But I take your point, thanks very much for your comments, really helps to get opinions from others!
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    I would prefer a sofa and two chairs. The chairs, because they offer two armrests, seem more comfortable to me and they also offer flexibility in furniture arrangment. With a sectional, its formation cannot be changed.

The area in front of the windows looks very bare, and I know you tried the loveseat there, but if you instead had two chairs there, they would be pulled out slightly from the wall, allowing plenty of light to flow into the room.

The sofa height of 90cm is higher than normal.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
  • Gayle
    Thanks Caroline and Rare Bird,
    I hadn't really considered the idea of chairs to be honest. Perhaps that's something I should consider. Thanks for your opinions. I currently have 2 puffers in front of the window area but that is all.

When I went looking for couches most seemed to be around 85-90 cm in height when you include the cushions at the back. Thats what my current ones are too. Is this really higher than usual? I should mention that I live in Dublin in Ireland. I wonder do the norms vary country to country?!

What colour sofa would you suggest Rare Bird? I have pets so fabric is a no, I find leather much more practical. Cream perhaps? Or tan? (not a big fan of dark brown leather)
  • Gayle
    Sorry typo in last message (using iPad!), "puffers" = pouffes
  • Rare Bird
    Haha Im in tipperary fancy meeting u here lol Im afraid I always favour brown and always fabric cos i find leather cold am off out now but will consider other options and catch up later :)
  • Sharon Cameron
    Love your fire place!
  • Gayle
    Ah that's funny, don't think there are many Irish people on here! :-)
    I like fabric too but unfortunately with a fluffy long haired cat it's a no no, I couldn't cope!
    Tan, cream and beige sofas would all be ok with me if they matched the rest of the room? (not sure?) I'm just so used to looking at it with black sofas that I cant really imagine it with anything else.
  • Gayle
    Thanks Sharon. It's just an electric faux fire, looks ok though and makes the place really warm! I'm in an apartment so unfortunately cant have a real fire.
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    A cream sofa would be a wonderful change for you, and you could have chairs in a different color of leather, perhaps red. They would both work very well with your pretty striped rug.
    Red Leather Club Chair and Ottoman Combo · More Info
  • Gayle
    Thank you Caroline. Cream might be nice and the red is a good suggestion too. You don't think it would be too much cream/white though, given that the coffee table , tv bench and bookshelf (to either side of the fireplace) are all white?
  • Gayle
    Apologies, Carolyn I should have said (not Caroline)!
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    No, candeela, some rooms are all white. I would also change the mirror that is above the fireplace to a painting or framed picture with some red in it, preferably a vertical piece.
    Bike In Black White And Red No 2, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    Do with deep rich color leather, keep it simple and low and you'll be in great shape. Less is More......keep it simple.
  • Gayle
    Thanks Carolyn, good suggestion about changing the mirror, hadn't thought of that.

Gayle
  • Gayle
    @ Oellien Design - thanks very much. So in your opinion sticking with a darker colour (eg black) would be better than say tan or cream?

Having read other peoples opinions here I was thinking that maybe cream would actually work, particularly if I do go with the sectional I had been originally thinking of (it comes it cream too) as it would prevent it from looking too dominant. Hmm!
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    I think the darker grounds the space and will give it a crisp edge and the pop of accent colors on pillows will brighten and freshen the base color.
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    The maintenance on a lighter piece is tough, just like lighter leather in your auto. I love it and it works but a deeper color will live a longer life.
  • Gayle
    @ Oellien Design : ok great, thanks for your opinion. So from what you're saying a dark sectional , but low in height (lower than the one I've been looking at probably) would work well.

Its very helpful to hear the different opinions, I've lots to think about now!
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    Perfect
  • Gayle
    I did a "mock up" of what a sectional would look like in the room by pushing together by 2 existing couches and piling up the cushions to fill what would be the corner of the L section. This was to the great amusement of my boyfriend (!) but I think helps to visualise what a sectional would look like in the space.. ?
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    Perfect
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    The room looks lopsided to me with all the weight on one side.
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    With a chair floating off to the other side the balance will come back it is just the way the photo is taken.
  • Gayle
    I take your point Carolyn and see what you mean, however Im also quite keen on the sectional for the lounging/relaxing element! Will have to have a good think.. :-)

Thanks so much for all your opinions, it really helps!
  • Gayle
    Perhaps a chair or chaise longue by the window where the 2 pouffes are now would bring balance back? I.e. just to the right of where you can see the plant in bottom right hand corner of attached photo
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    A chair with a small round table beside it, plus your big plant should do the trick.
  • Gayle
    Yes, I could move the small round glass table currently beside the entrance door to the other side of the room by the window. Thanks Carolyn
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    Another thing to try is angling your rug from the corner where loveseat meets sofa to the area where the TV is located. Give it a try and see what you think.
  • Gayle
    I got rid of the sofa & loveseat am trying this new layout now, in case you're interested!
  • decoenthusiaste
    I like what you've been doing, with the exception of the mirror which isn't beautiful or interesting and doesn't reflect beauty or interest. Maybe a larger one hung vertically and a cool chandy dropping over the coffee table and reflecting in the mirror. I'm more of a one sofa-two-chair person myself. Kinda tired of dark black and brown sofas, but with kids or kats they may serve a purpose, just not a decorative one unless they're high dollar Italian.
  • Gayle
    Hi, thanks for your comment. I totally agree - I actually have a large art print on order (vertical/ portrait orientation) and that will be replacing the mirror when it arrives. From previous comments I received everyone seems have different opinions on sofa choices but I think I'm pretty happy with the L shape one I've gone with - it fits the space a lot better (I think!) than the 3 & 2 seaters I previously had. I contemplated going with a different lighter sofa colour but practicality won in the end!
  • decoenthusiaste
    Look forward to the finale! Please post.
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.