mike_j8

Patio / Outdoor Seating + Kitchen area design ideas/critique

Mike F
2 years ago

I have a single storey rear extension on my 1930's semi-detached UK house. I want to build a patio / seating area that is level with the bifold doors opening. This means the patio will be approx 30cm higher than the lawn. Total length of garden is 18m, so dont' really want to go any bigger with the patio area.

I have mocked up an initial idea as pictured below (bifold doors are in the 'gap'). Fairly straightforward:

• Walls on the patio are 60cm tall, they overlap the bifold doors by 50cm each side, symmetrically framing the doors.
  • The side with our access alley has space for a bbq/kitchen area. Kitchen layout itself is just representative but would be similar.
  • Patio furniture also just representative, wonder whether we'd use more relaxed 'lounge' furniture more than a traditional patio 'dining' table.
  • Privacy screen made of 40mm cedar or larch, spaced 10mm.
  • Light-mid grey porcelain tiles.

Very grateful for any advice, critique or alternative ideas. I don't feel particularly wedding to this precise design, materials or colours, so suggests very welcome.

• I've sized the all 60cm tall to match the height of the bbq area worktops. I'd perhaps like lower walls - easier for people to perch on, and when viewed from the house - won't obscure the rest of the garden so much. However, I can't go any lower than 60cm for the bbq area worktops - so wouldn't make much difference.
  • I will have a drain running along the bifold doors. I wonder if I should put other drains in (where?). We have clay soil, so the lawn doesn't need any additional water running on it.
  • I'm keen to have some lighting - any locations, product suggestions and mounting point ideas appreciated.
  • Thanks.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.