teddybear123

Sitting room

Teddybear123
11 years ago
Hello everyone,I have taken down my xmas decorations & my sitting room looks drab dull & dingy!! Going to redecorate this room but could use some help on colour & any ideas on positioning the furniture...I'm thinking Black White & Red??? was thinking of painting the unit & fireplace Black... accent wall above FP Red..& the rest of the walls white...what do you think? the only thing I cannot change is the leather suite....buying a new carpet drapes & cushions....The room itself is a funny shape & its difficult to place the furniture,as you will see from the photos....any help will be much appreciated Thanks

Comments (30)

• decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Ceiling white, walls gray.
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    This is hard for me to say and take it with a grain of salt, Red/Black and white is so wrong. Your furniture and details in the house are too traditional for that bold color scheme. I could do it with the rooms but not with the furniture too. If you can get new furniture than that bold look can be cool with your architectural details.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with dressing room /sitting room

Q

Comments (0)
    I want to make an original bedroom into a dressing room / sitting room. We presently have a wall of wardrobes in it. Good sized room with window and oak floor. I have trawled tru Houzz for ideas but cannot get any info. Anybody interested in helping me
    ...See More

Need help for my narrow sitting room

Q

Comments (3)
    Hello. I see you posted in December, but if you haven't already re-arranged: 1. I agree wholeheartedly about the roman blinds. (Nifty idea to reuse the great fabric of the curtains. I didn't think of that one ) 2. I'd move the armchair to the left of the fireplace where the lovely vase is. Vase under bay window instead maybe? 3. Put the TV on the wall below the framed photos: 90 cm above floor level is a comfortable height for seated viewing. 4. Then the sofa can go on the opposite wall, it's more welcoming when you walk in the door from the hallway. (To the left of the bay window) As for small L-shaped sofas, the smallest I've seen is a sofa bed from IKEA. Very tidy but I've not tested it for comfort. Has integrated storage for bed covers. Neat. 5. Then turn your rug and coffee table 90 degrees, parallel with the fireplace wall and in line with the bay. (Turning the long axis of these items across the width of the room will make it appear wider, especially where you already have the extra width of the bay.) Without dimensions of these items and the room I can't be sure will that fit. But if you're not already sorted I guess it's worth a try.
    ...See More

What new paint colour for sitting room

Q

Comments (2)
    I'd go for a warm light grey picking out the colour in the stone fire surround - have a look at Little Green Paint company's Portland Stone it comes in three depths of colour and looks beautifully restful. Then dress it with natural plants!
    ...See More

curtains for sitting room and bedroom with radiator

Q

Comments (0)
    fradiator under window in bedroom and in sitting room 3 long windows side by side. I want one long curtain.
    ...See More
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I am re-doing my guest room in white, black and red ochre. Red ochre is a warmer bownish red, very pretty. You could try that if you like it! [houzz=
    Spicy Hue SW6342 Paint · More Info
    ]
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    olldbobbi...I was thinking of Tir na Og by dulux its more a vibrant red....
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Malps I am changing the carpet,but that will be the last thing to be done...need to find a colour for the walls first..
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    I agree with MAlps that the room is too busy. too much stuff. e.g. sconces above fireplace and the the candle holders under them, together are just too much! I would get rid of the pedestal with the vase on it.if you must keep the fish tank get a solid fronted display cabinet to sit it on as having the open shelves just looks messy. I would get rid of that red stool next to the fishtank too. Just too much stuffThe heavy looking leather chairs just blend into the dark carpet.

I don't like the display unit next to the fireplace, it is not traditional but it is not modern either. we have dark walls, dark carpet and dark furniture so it looks a dull room.The room has lovely double doors and a lovely fireplace so there is potential for a nice room here.
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Eeeeeeee red stool is for piano????
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    well if you must keep the stool I would clear all the candles off the top of the piano and would get rid of the those two small pictures between the windows, less is more/
  • Jennifer Wilton
    11 years ago
    Because of the size and irregular shape, I'd go with light flooring and light walls- it will feel much more open. I can see that you like the red/gray color scheme (I do too), but I think with the white piano and all the dark cabinetry and furniture, you might end up liking a light blue color (see this: http://furniture.trendzona.com/interior-design/the-light-and-color-makes-the-space.html). It would coordinate well with the piano and the fish tanks too.
  • Abbey C
    11 years ago
    I think the room looks fine color wise, just the floors are too dark. Need a cream color carpet or medium shade hard wood.
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Jennifer thanks so much for that link,I loved the colour.....I have removed the pictures & candles pedestal with the vase on it gone too....have a look at pic below lol...with these two beauties somehow I dont think a cream carpet would last long lol. Thanks so much for all the ideas...please keep them coming. The unit is built in so cannot move that....was about painting it?
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    I dont think painting the unit would help much. It just looks old fashioned,. whatever you do, don't do anything to draw attention to it
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Does it really look that bad?
  • 2dogssashatess
    11 years ago
    Well teddybear you have lovely multipaned doors, you have a lovely mantlepiece, the sconces over the fireplace are nice too but that wall unit lets that side of the room down. The area below the fishtank is ok, I think the glass fronted cupboards above the fishtank and the open shelving does not work.Maybe you could put new doors (which are higher) on the top half of the wall unit and cover the open shelving area. Given you need dark carpet with the dogs,I think maybe you should paint that wall a light color.
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Debating now if I should pull the bloody thing out!..was looking at a few photos on Houzz with units at the side of fireplace..they were white & I thought it might give mine a new look if I painted?...
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Teddybear123, Your brown accent wall, brown leather furnishings and brown toned rug don't offer any contrast and create an overall dark look. I would suggest fresh neutral walls as well as lighter flooring and window treatments. Take a look at this gracious and attractive room. I also suggest a closed cabinet for your 2nd aquarium to conceal cords and clutter. Love the elegant fireplace!
    Lindy Donnelly · More Info
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    That is a very attractive room but my budget wont stretch as far as another cabinet for the fish tank :(
  • PRO
    Fini Design
    11 years ago
    Wow people feel pretty comfortable being harsh! PEOPLE THIS IS A PERFECTLY FINE ROOM THAT IS READY FOR SOME TWEAKING! Jeez,.
    You actually have some beautiful features here. The furniture is good quality and works with the more your traditional architectural elements. The fireplace surround is stunning and the brown walls are yummy,
    I think one of your challenges is in the floor plan, The long narrow room will actually work better with less furniture in front of the fireplace. What if you move one of the chairs to corner of the other side of the room and create a small seating space? This way you can enjoy the second fish tank as well. If there is not room would you be willing to move the piano to the large wall and put the seat facing the piano? That large wall begs for something dramatic and the fish tank is not strong enough to hold it's place the way the piano will.
    For color, Have you considered a more vibrant teal? it will pop and still go with the browns in the room.
  • houssaon
    11 years ago
    Fini Design, I don't think anyone was being harsh, just direct with their a personal view or appraisal. The poster is looking for advice and people are taking the time to give it. This back and forth is pretty much how it goes here.
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    Been watching these posts and wondering where they'd go. Thought you were set on your color scheme but couldn't really see the red. Since it is a new year, why don't you start with a clean out and a new post? If you're painting anyway, you need to do this, so just box up all the stuff and work through it from there. I'm tending to agree with Fini Design for the most part. You complained about the big unit in the recess. If anyone is handy, why not replace it with a new built-in system that will hold tv and both tanks. Pianos stay healthier on inside walls away from drafts. Teal is not the only color that will work well with the brown, and your carpet can be layered with area rugs - white flokati might look good.
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I honestly appreciate all the comments & people giving their input...I do intend painting the walls which are off white at the moment,& the brown over the FP I intended to do an accent colour....I should have stressed I'm on a budget,so Im stuck with the furniture unit & fireplace..as well as that....(please don't scream) my furbabies are always in the room with us when watching TV...so a light coloured carpet wouldn't last kissing time...but I agree the carpet must go! ....On reading the posts here I've taken everyones suggestions on board & removed candles on piano,stuff on Fp...removed the photographs & now it just looks duller than ever.......Since I've discovered Houzz I'm going crazy when I see the beautiful rooms lol ....I want to move to the USA!!! *Smiles*
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Fini do you mean put the piano where the small fish tank is now?
  • jessica8269
    11 years ago
    Just a suggestion...but if the dogs on the carpet are a concern, could you put a hardwood floor down instead? That would brighten it up and you said you were getting rid of the carpet anyways right? Also, next to your fireplace with the fish tank on it-is that built in? I dont think the room is that bad, I just think there is too much going on....for example-do you need both lights on the wall, ceiling, and lamps? IMHO, I would get rid of any clutter and things you dont need such as the lights on the walls.
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Jessica...I think your right hardwood floor is the way to go.Yes the unit is built in,so short of removing it I'm stuck with it.removing the wall lights really isint an option as they are wired internally whick would mean replastering the walls,& to be honest my budget wont stretch that far.
  • Abbey C
    11 years ago
    Sorry didn't have time to find a large enough floor to not make this look choppy but just for a visual, this is what I sort of though would be a nice hardwood color. And this color would look great with a sisal rug under the seating area. Sisal is also great with pets!
  • PRO
    Fini Design
    11 years ago
    Hi there. Yes, what if you put the piano on the large wall and angled one of the chairs towards it? If you let us know the dimensions of the room I can send you a quick rendering.
  • Teddybear123
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks Abbey for going to the trouble to do that,however I still think it looks drab & boring.....I'm looking for the WoW factor when entering the room....*Deep sigh*
    Finni...the room measures 22ft 6inches x 13 feet....thanks so much
  • mar1604
    7 years ago

Hello the days are brightening up by now and I'm sure the room is looking less drab for it.

However I think furniture rearranging will work wonders. You seem to have nice low window sills: show them off. If the sofa goes to the left between window and built-in unit you'll have a view out to the garden and more light in the room. Equally: can you fit the piano between the radiator and the double doors? Again: more light through the window. Low sills are a god-send, and so many of us are stuck with high ones. The room will feel more spacious with a good view to outdoors. The armchairs then: one to the left of the fireplace and one between the other window and piano. TV then between the two windows. (No shine on the screen) Does that fit maybe? Or do you need all five seats facing the TV?

I rather like those stripy cushions. Can you find a striped wallpaper in matching colors and with an irregular pattern repeat for your accent wall?

if going with wood floors how about a sheepskin rug for each of your doggies? Black or white.

One last detail. A lower table for your side lamps would be good: At sofa arm or seat height. Coffee table could work in corner between window and new sofa position.

Btw: I liked the suggestion to replace the cupboard doors above the fish tank with full-height ones. In some kitchen shops you can find ready-painted, wooden, panel doors that might fit. It's a long shot but you could be lucky. It would brighten up the corner if you got a light colour.

• mar1604
    7 years ago

it would be lovely to see the updated room. Do people usually post the 'after' photos when they finish?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.