lallyloo

Suggestions please for L shaped room.

lallyloo
10 November, 2014
Hi all. We are considering building and L shaped extension onto the end of our house. My question is where would you suggest to put a wood burning stove. The room will be a living room with TV and family room. The end of the L shape on the inner side will be a 6 ft long glass door looking onto patio. I'm also not sure where to put TV. Have been going round in circles!!! Would appreciate any suggestions on living layout!

• Simon Cooper
    Hi there,

It's always difficult working out the best place for a fireplace and indeed a tv but what I would ask is why have you opted for an L-Shaped extension? Have you got lots of constraints on the land or the garden? Long and thin extensions can always be a problem as they lack the width to create nice spaces without bottle necks or furniture blocking circulation and people movement. One of the things you will have to think about is the venting or flue / chimney and then there's the regulations about the stove being a minimum distance away from combustible materials. It would be nice to be able to look at the burner while you're facing into the garden so maybe a wall on the patio side to break up the glass doors and then add more light in from above to make it a little cosier. Sometimes too much glass can feel / look cold.

The TV is always a problem but I suggest again to possible mount it on a wall but remember if you have the screen facing all that glass you will get reflection problems. Maybe you need to make a feature wall out of slate or stone that would have the wood burning stove against it and the TV offset a little on the same wall. Then have your glass doors either side so when you're sat on your sofa you can see the garden / patio all while sat in front of your stove and viewing the tv.

Its a difficult one all in all but if you have the opportunity to alter the L shape and make at least one leg of it slightly wider it may give you a better option for the burner, sofa and the cosiness without the feel of a long thin room with not many passing places.

Just a couple of suggestions but as I can see the design brief or land size / constraints etc I might be a little off the mark.

Cheers.

Simon
    www.scdc.biz
  • lallyloo
    Thanks Simon. Yes we are quite constrained by the L shape and I agree that it can be very limiting. You have pointed out all of my concerns and made me realise I need to go back to the drawing board rather than build something that will frustrate me due to it's shape. Thank you.
  • Simon Cooper
    My pleasure Lallyloo and I don't want to throw a spanner in the works for you but sometimes it's good to get the brief / design exactly the way you want it as it's you that will be living there and indeed paying for it. Always available for advice but good luck!

Cheers

Simon
    www.scdc.biz
    OnePlan
    Hi - I know this is going to sound like a lame question - but how do you access this new room from the main house ? I don't see any doorway in ? Can you add a drawing to show where this will be in context to what's existing please? Thanks !
  • lallyloo
    See in the photos the entrance from L shape. The new proposed L shape is an extension of an existing room thus making an L. So entrance already there. I have included existing pic of room we hope to extend and a pic from outside the house. We really don't want to make any changes to the main house and don't have the money. If we did it would affect the kitchen and whilst it's not super modern we don't want to change it. Thanks.
    OnePlan
    Ok - so there's an opening in that thick stripy wall and the patio is top left corner ... I'd probably suggest something like this....
    Club chairs around a circular coffee table - then pair of sofas around a tv on a swivel pole in the corner - then up two steps to swivel chairs that could be facing fire seating area OR facing tv over other sofa - then last sofa giving a fireside seating area !
    It gives you three areas to sit - but as it's such a big room it's going to be difficult to keep it as all one seating area - as you have to shout to maintain a conversation !
    OnePlan
    Or ... Simply straighten out the end angles and put in two set of folding sliding doors and use light enough arm chairs to move about to enjoy the heat when you feel like it ?
  • lallyloo
    @Oneplan thank you both great ideas and will think about both. The second one would certainly be much cheaper.