webuser_209097865

Should I open my kitchen into the hallway?

M Dixon
2 years ago

My 1960’s house has a 7m hallway (143m wide) through the middle of the house. There is a small porch and then entrance to the kitchen is on the left. I’d like a more spacious family kitchen and can’t extend outwards front or side, (this is already a front extension beyond dotted line) so am considering taking the wall down between the kitchen and hallway, creating an opening of approximately 255cm. The kitchen is currently 2.78cm wide by 475cm long.

This will give me space for an island and create a more useable space but my worry is whether this is a mistake from a design perspective?

It wouldn’t be for the full length of the hall, there are 3 other rooms off the hall with doors which would be unchanged. For context: The room on the left behind the kitchen is a very well used utility room with shower room off and external door. The rooms on the right are office / snug rooms. The front one with small staircase is above integral garage. The back room is an open plan lounge / diner.

Thank you

Comments (24)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.