webuser_374240067

Roast my extension before it's too late!

Nathan B
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We bought a 1960s 4 bed detached 2 years ago with the plan to slightly remodel, let's just say it's escalated but we're worried that as we did things incrementally, we've missed some great ideas.

The house is currently a shell with the extensions built but we haven't started putting walls up yet.

This is existing:

This is proposed:

So the area's we're debating about downstairs are:

• Pantry - changing it to a bar area (as there should be plenty of space to store stuff in the kitchen) and it felt quite tight.
  • Door into open plan, centering based on line of sight coming into the house and not on wall dimensions
  • Utility - it's a large room almost too big and wasted space? But cutting the room in half makes the utility too small... We're thinking by open planning it we could use it as half gym half utlity but maybe theres a better way of achieving this?
  • Sliding doors or bi folds? We went with two sets on purpose so we have the ability to change the function of the room in the future but also to divide/segment the room now with bookshelf etc.
  • Is the hall too big - its going to be open kind of like a foyer (is that the right word), with an oak/glass staircase.

Now for upstairs:

• Bed 2 we've straightened off and removed the dog leg, so the landing is larger now. We're debating on whether to put a laundry cupboard in its place?
  • Bathroom, we've actually squared this off now (it's amazing how on paper it seemed too much work but when the house is a mess, "yeah just smash it down")
  • Master bed, we want to incorporate a ensuite and walk in wardrobe but don't think we have enough space, whats peoples thoughts? Again, moving a few walls isn't the end of the world at this stage!

So yeah, that's about it. Let us know your thoughts/ideas!

P.S We will post before/afters later!

P.S.S For high-res: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12R7KeOW2iQJFR7CuJZIX_FZYF8JoWgxV?usp=sharing

Comments (9)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.