tee_b44

Wood floor damage during kitchen renovation

T B
4 days ago

I feel a bit sick. A few years ago we had our apartment (original 1930s) wood floors refinished just before we moved in. Fast forward to now, we saved enough to have the kitchen renovated.

I flagged in January - early on in the project - that I found debris under the cardboard 'protecting' the floor and that it caused scratches from being stepped on. We cleaned out what we could, and had the workmen do the same, but it was too late. My email about this went ignored, and I flagged it again in March. Again, no reply.

There have been a ton of problems since.. long scratch on the stainless steel apron sink, misaligned cabinet handles, dozens of scratches on the painted cabinets and then the biggest issue was that they messed up the scratch 'touch up' and now it looks like vaseline smudges all over. The GM saw this, apologized and said he would make it right.

I don't know what to do about the floor. It looks absolutely ridiculous -- perfect floor everywhere except around the wall-less side of the kitchen. Photos here: (with photo of full kitchen, so you can see the layout/why it's a big deal) https://photos.app.goo.gl/mSzzzY2js3SW1RHk8

I don't know what to do. Right now I'm super angry -- I've always been very precious about the floors -- but I don't know what can be done and what I should expect the contractor to do. There was never any mention that the floors could be damaged and me flagging it by email (note that I'm horrible with confrontation) have been ignored.

What do y'all think?