raj_chavda_92

Having a nightmare!!!!

raj_chavda_92
5 years ago
I have chosen to undergo the task of building a garden shed. Initially I had much promise for, however the change in weather has caused me to make many decisions in haste. I am now halfway though the build and feel completely unhappy with how it's coming together. I am reluctant to make any major steps back in the way of construction but if it needs be to have something I am proud, I will do so. I do love the traditional Victorian style and have added two of the pictures which inspired me in the first place. Any advice to save this project would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Comments (46)

• E D
    5 years ago

Do you have a drawing or similar of your design that you can post here?

• E D
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It doesn't look too bad to me so far. What is your concern?

• Related Discussions

Renovating house for resale. Carpet colour??

Q

Comments (3)
    I think you are right, I really like polished dark wood with grey and white - very contemporary Australian style. Just make sure that they are non-slip as anyone with kids will worry about this so make sure it is clearly stated in your sales particulars so you don't put anyone off - buyers can be so fussy about this slightest little thing. If not, you could always go for a runner thereby keeping the polished walnut but also having stair carpet but that seems like an unnecessary expense as you are selling. Good luck :-)
    ...See More

Tiling Disaster

Q

Comments (18)
    If the grout was supposed to be white but has come out grey then there is either an issue with the grout or this is as I described before. I certainly wouldn't use a grout pen until you have looked at cleaning the residue from it. If this is polymer residue then the grout pen would only stick to this so would probably wear off and become patchy. If there is an issue with the grout then you should speak to the manufacturer, this does happen on occasions and they will check it if they are a reputable company. Who was the grout manufacturer? Email Ceramica is the group of companies which Viva belongs to. So I suspect that this is the tile I mentioned. I know the tile as we sell it, the tile is very good quality. Speaking as a tiler with 18 years experience if the grout was grey and has come out white then it can only be the issues I have described. Cleaning should definitely be your first option.
    ...See More

Curb appeal??!

Q

Comments (14)
    Gosh, I've returned after a week travelling for work to loads more suggestions - thanks all! To respond specifically: - the house faces south so gets the lovely morning (and in the uk, sometimes the only) sun. - the husband has avoided putting plants in the planters due to maintenance and they're generally twee so comments here have confirmed to me that they will be coming out - love the idea of wooden boxes with the spiky plants and grasses - also like the concept of taking out the grass/bed/tree in front completely out and replacing with slabs - yes to lightening the windows - to the Barn company, I honestly don't mind the advice and I'd never seen sloping garage roofs. - nicking ideas from landscaping of new builds....great idea! - finally, Helen Scholes, I'm embarrassed about the spelling of kerb. Had no idea! Thanks again all.
    ...See More

white interior doors and window frames

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi I have a dilemma... For a new build. I love sleek and modern and going for a high gloss kitchen with creams and nudes... From front door through to kitchen I want tiles I am thinking oak wooden floors so my question... What color interior doors do I choose? I love the look of the 2 panel white shaker door but are they a nightmare with kids and traffic and keeping clean? Also what color window frames would you suggest for this? Thanks a million
    ...See More
  • nchavda88
    5 years ago
    it looks like it's a little bit out of proportion. The roof looks small especially the triangle over the door.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Sorry I don't have an actual image but I tried to blend two pictures I was inspired from. The yellow brick of the first and the structure and style of the grey cladded shed.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    As nchavda88 said I think it's out of proportion. I feel as if I went to the barbers and had too much taken off from the top lol. Is there anyway we could do to give the appearance of height
  • E D
    5 years ago

Are there planning permission issues with regards to the total height?

• raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    we are restricted to a maximum height of 2.5m
  • E D
    5 years ago

Ok, so does that mean you can still raise the roof?

Literally I mean... :)

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    All the pictures you like have a ridge that is over 3m high. It sounds like you are trying to be Luik day within permitted development.
    So you have a few options:-
    1/ continue to build and accept that it will look different from your inspiration pictures.
    2/ apply for planning permission to build this with a taller roof.
    3/ slightly alter the design to improve the look- I would swap the windows for narrower deeper ones that trick your eye into thinking the building is taller, remove the gable above the door as it shows the shallow roof pitch, add an interesting ridge tile to give the illusion of height.
    4/ have a steeply pitched roof but lower the roof- this would necessitate putting in lower windows. (If you do this it might suit you to have a shallow pitch on the back
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    There’s been a blend of trying to get the look you like in the dark shed - but while giving you adequate headroom inside. Looks like the builder has the internal usable space inside as their priority - and sounds like maybe your priority is more how it looks from outside ?

Is it going to be used as a shed - ie literally to store garden appliances ? If so - and the exterior look is so important - I’d suggest you lower the windows and roof so it’s inline with the look and pitch while staying in the regulation height .

If it’s going to be used as extra living space - I’d let the builder carry on at these heights and enjoy the extra internal headroom it provides .

Hope that maybe helps a little ??
  • Charnelle Els
    5 years ago
    The proportions are off. I would remove the triangular pitch and go with a plain roof, maybe with a decorative roof tile similar to Johnathan's suggestion along the top. I also think the windows are a tad high. Could they come down a little?
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Another option may be to extend the roof forward slightly so it overhangs the windows. Windows would need to be lower and the doorway narrower to accommodate steeper angle on the centre triangle roof bit (not sure what the correct term is). Brackets or posts might be needed to support this. Personally I would try to obtain planning permission to build a steeper roof pitch to get it to look how you want it to.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you for all your suggestions especially RachelMidlands. Absolutely love it. It has been a massive help. I was also wondering if up and down wall lighters would give the perception of height if used correctly. The next question would be where to place them.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    As an update I like to tell you, that I've decided to extend the front triangle forward and to mimic a porch. As suggested by some of you (Thank you soo much). Bringing the look of the roof down further and keep my head dry when looking for the keys. I am currently taking a break for a week and have just placed the fascia boards and guttering willynilly, as it's going to rain (before any criticism of how massive they currently are). However during this break, I would love to hear any further suggestions you may have regarding the shed or the garden itself.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Current progress
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Hi Raj. My hats off to you:) I’m impressed by the fact you’re doing all this yourself! Not something I could do that’s for sure. I’m glad you squared off the back of the roof as this gives you the height inside. What will it be used for? Shed for storage, summerhouse, home office? You’ve got a really good sized garden and I think a lot can be done with it. When the shed is near sorted out, think about the hard landscaping, patios etc. Personally I’d go for two patios, one outside the house and one in front of shed and link the two with a curvy or staggered path way with some nice planting on either side. Gather some images of gardens you like and note what you like about them. Also list what you want in the garden, i.e. space for bbq, lawn for kids, seating in shaded or sunny position, low maintenance, plants etc. I’m not a pro but I do love gardening so do hope I’ve helped a little. With regards lighting, I’d go for uplighters near ground level, should show off your handiwork nicely:-).
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Primarily it's a shed first, I seriously don't know how I've accumulated so much stuff. I will not use it as a habitable space but feel the need to have WIFI and music for when hosting BBQs and Children's birthdays. My concern is that the garden will appear quite boring, lacking character and charm. I do want curves however my brain only seems to see straight lines.
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    He he. Nothing wrong with straight lines:) How about changing the angle and having diagonals...lawn, pathways etc. Not sure if I’m making sense but here’s some inspiration photos.
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    A “cross” shape garden path could be nice especially with a bench. Pic shows two benches but think I prefer one with an interesting large planter where the other is rather than planter in middle of cross.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago
    I love straight lines in a garden. Remember beautiful Islamic paradise gardens which are all straight lines and lush planting. The middle of the cross is usually a traditional water feature, or it can be a piece of art or a large pot. However I like curves in a garden too!
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I love these designs, this community is truly amazing. However I don't think I could maintain and tend to so many plants. Im not completely hopeless though, I can mow a lawn that could rival any football stadium. I do agree the garden does need to split into smaller sections (giving it an overall pattern/shape) also needing a captivating focal point. I've always wanted a floral archway (It has been a secret of mine). I'm not sure if I should just give up on that idea. I'm still struggling to visualise how I can incorporate all these styles in my garden whilst also keeping it clean and manageable.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have a few design concepts which I would love to share with you but they are far from polished. Does anyone know of landscaping website or program, I could use?
  • Emily
    5 years ago
    Some of the pics do show advance level gardens for sure! But they can be cleverly simplified so don’t necessarily discount them. Strategic planting can give a flavour without being too high maintenance. And looking at your pics you clearly are working hard and think it’s going to be fab.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hey everyone, I've done a thing. Earlier today, I attempted some sort of design. But I have two concerns I didn't know how to address.

1) I use a rotary dryer at the rear of my garden, how could I possibly hide it from eyesight when in use.

2) Do I need something captivating on the left hand side. So it doesn't seem so uncharacteristic and boring.

If I'm overlooking anything please let me know.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago
    Get rid of the rotary dryer and use a retractable line instead. Attach it to a post or the house wall and a hook at the other end of the garden. The line retracts when not in use. Available from most supermarkets or diy stores and eBay. So much tidier that a rotary dryer.
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Agree with forza about the washing line. A retractable one takes up far less space and won’t spoil the view of the garden. Your design is simple but practical however I would suggest bringing the pathway around to the shed door . When we moved into our house a few years back, first thing I wanted was an arch with roses and climbing flowers so you’re not the only one :-). Not sure about apps or web page for garden design as I tend to scribble things on paper. Got a little time this morning so I might sketch some ideas for you. Here’s my cheaply cobbled together arch, although not looking it’s best atm, rose still has some way to go but the conteneaster (red berries) is loving it.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

Wow rachelmidlands what great designs. My garden is mostly straight lines and I had to quickly scribble a design for the builder as he was ready to go after building the garage! So much pressure. But of course, as you know, it is the planting that softens a garden and makes it sing. Love your arch - may have to get one now! I also love obelisks, a great way to add height to a garden. Raj this is a picture of my garden and it shows how the plants soften and blur the edges. The other pic is in my Ideasbook and such a simple but effective design.

My wee garden

The Old Garden · More Info

How simple is this design? Wide paths flanked by borders and grass in the middle.

• raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I can't believe its been 2months since the last post. I just thought I'd update those that are still interested in how the project is / not progressing so far. I've followed @rachealmidlands first sketch as they were amazing! Since then, I have laid majority of the patio and dug my very own soakaway. Having spent so long in cold I've almost come a snowman and decided to take a break till after the new year. However it seems I can not switch off this silly brain of mine and have come across a iron gazebo which I think looks beautiful! (please refer to pictures as I have no clue what it's called). I'm not sure if it will be too overwhelming in the garden or exactly what it needs. Thank you for all your help, this community is honestly amazing.

• Sonia
    5 years ago

Looks great. The gazebo is beautiful and imagine how stunning it would look when climbers are scrambling through it. I think you deserve to be in the warm! I’m a fair weather gardener so won’t be doing much until March.

• rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    The patio looks great! I’m glad you liked my sketch and hope it’s helped a little:) I love the iron gazebo/pergola thingy (I’m not sure what to call it either) and think it will make a wonderful addition. But get inside and have a warm! I’m with forza and remain dormant over the winter except for scooping up dog poop, putting bins out and planning what to do in the garden when spring arrives. Hope all goes well:)
  • nchavda88
    5 years ago

Just thought I'd give you an update now the path is almost done! As always, any comments are greatly appreciated!!

• Sonia
    5 years ago
    Very nice path. The edging really finishes it off. Well done.
  • Noidea
    5 years ago

I'm loving this 'transormation' thread. It's great that everone is so invested in it! We cvan all learn from some of the posters on here...

• Emmanuelle
    5 years ago
    Great transformation Raj! ... and I enjoyed peeping into all the different lovely gardens posted... feeling inspired and ready for spring!
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We have light!!!!!

I've just finished the lighting today and I am so chuffed! but before I poor myself a glass of wine, I wanted to ask everyone for there suggestions and opinions yet again. I feel like the garden is imbalanced, some areas are well lit and some areas draw no attention or interest in the evening. I was thinking of either wiring lights on the left hand side or wiring uplighters to the center of the lawn where I was thinking of planting a tree as a focal point almost. If you could possibly cast a vote for your favourite option or even have an alternative suggestion. I would love to hear it.

• rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Hi Raj. That looks amazing! :-). I agree and think it needs a little more light on the left. I love it when special plants, trees and architectural features are highlighted at night, makes it look magical. Are you still toying with the idea of a pergola or gazebo thingy? That would look spectacular with a low level flood light. Your garden is coming along brilliantly btw (I’m envious:)) all that hard work is really paying off, can’t wait too see how it looks when finished.
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you very much! Initially I was drawn to the pagola but its priced at around £1000. Were as a tree as a focal point would cost significantly less. I can't explain how much deliberation has been made for either design and I still can't seem to decide :'( . What do you think?

• raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago

As it has been a while since my last post, I thought I'd currently update the everyone who's input has helped prune my garden project into shape. I have gone ahead and purchased the iron gazebo and will have it errect by next week, I will attached pictures in due course. So stay tuned ! But my newest dilemma is the boundary fence, I personally don't like the look of having my neighbors fence towering over mine but not sure what would be the best option to rectify such an eyesore. Should I just wait for nature to take its course and wait for the shrubs to reach the same height or do you believe I should add some kind of privacy panel/ trellis????

• rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    That is a rather large fence isn’t it! I’d pop a bit of trellis up and grow a couple climbers to fill any gaps between shrubs. Clematis Montana is fairly fast growing and looks great in spring but I think many climbers will love that sunny position. Honeysuckle, jasmine, Passion flower etc. (just be aware that clematis likes it’s roots in the shade where it’s cool and damp). I have a similar situation with my neighbour as their garden is higher than ours and I attached some expanding trellis with zip ties to their fence so as not to damage it. Now growing a beautiful climbing rose and may need some more trellis at this rate (see pic). Since your fence is separate I think you can get panels that sit on top. Can’t wait to see the pergola:))
  • raj_chavda_92
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Garden update

• E D
    5 years ago

From a “nightmare!!!!” (yes four exclamation marks...) to a dream.

:-)

It‘s looking great.

• Sonia
    5 years ago
    Wow that looks amazing! A great entertaining space, well done.
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Looking Fabulous! The shed is really coming along and the iron gazebo..... I love it! So beautiful. Well worth the investment and I think it will look great for many years to come. Well done:)
  • Patrina
    5 years ago
    Looks amazing:-)
  • 1stgarden
    4 years ago

Wow what a job, well done!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.