dlquinn1

Entryway help?

dlquinn1
10 years ago
The inspiration: In many Japanese houses the entryway is lower than the rest of the room. It traps dirt walked into the house & serves as a place to take shoes off.

Constraints: Currently we have tiles and carpet at entry height but are planning to rip up the carpet & replace with bamboo flooring. The doorways off of the great room would have a small step up, but as neither of us are over average height I don't think this would be a problem and we don't plan on selling the house. Does anyone have any tips on raising the floor 1-2 inches? Do you think the extra 1-2" would cause a problem? The other option would be to install the underlay & bamboo at normal height, rip up the tiles & replace with something like linoleum/vinyl directly onto the cement. This would create approx. a 1.2cm step up.

We'd also like to buy/build a narrow staircase-shaped storage unit to put next to the doorway as both a way to use that space between the door & the wall and to serve as climbing furniture for the cats. It would either be a dark timber colour or white. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Comments (8)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.