muemmel

Please help. I need suggestions for exterior redesign of house.

helen m.
We recently decided to do some exterior renovation on our house and installed a red entrance door with white side lights. unfortunately the red bricks do not match the red door and we would like to replaster the house and paint it instead of the pebble dash we have at present. This may turn out too costly, so we are at a loss as to what to do. We would like to get suggestions on colors if we decide to go ahead with the plastering, regarding walls, trims (we plan on having) or, should we have to keep the pebble dash, how can we best disguise the red brick, at least on the porch. We also would appreciate any ideas regarding the front entrance steps (materials, color).
Any suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Joanne Jakab Interior Design
    Sorry, but the most cost effective fix is to repaint the door - you can go bold but just not red. BAsed on Benjamin Moore Colours - Salamander 2050-10, Amazon Green 2136-30, Plum Royale 2070-20 or Evening Dove 2128-30
    helen m. thanked Joanne Jakab Interior Design
  • helen m.
    Thanks Joanne, but we are set to keep the door red. What we are looking for is a color combo to match the red door (trims, plinth) . Would there be a way to cover the bricks with some sort of plaster mouldings and if so, which color should we paint them (same as window mouldings)? Thanks.
  • Related Discussions

Need help with redesigning front of house

Q

Thanks for the feedback, we had something similar in mind. Would you suggest bringing the door out to the front? What about the windows either side, we would think about replacing maybe in a different colour, possibly grey, and add some cedar cladding to the house front and paint walls grey. We are also toying with the idea of bring double doors out to the front with arclight over head and then to add coving around the windows with arc that mirrors the arc light to try and soften the whole angular look to to the front. All suggestions welcome. Thanks Brian
    ...See More

Need help with ideas to change front of house

Q

This is actually a re-post already. Try increasing the size of photos first before attaching.
    ...See More

Redesigning kitchen

Q

Why don't you have an L shape and use the area under the window also for your sink and a couple of extra units? you could add shelves on either side of the window? Not sure why your fridge has to go at that end? might be best at the other end? As Sarah, suggests, get full height cupboards, and put the microwave in one of those, so that you're not losing so much space. Extra storage is probably more useful than having the microwave on display? It can easily be put on a shelf within a cupboard. (Our isn't even in our kitchen, but then we only use it once a week or so... so really depends) I'd also suggest drawers to the bottom of your units instead of cupboards.
    ...See More

need help to finish patio and cover this bank. i do not want garden

Q

I would use some tall grasses. The roots would keep that soil stitched together well. They have little maintenance and look fantastic in the light and breeze.
    ...See More
  • Stewart Maguire
    Paint the Bricks just around the door a heavy cream color .
    helen m. thanked Stewart Maguire
  • helen m.
    thanks Stewart, would you have any recommendations as to what colors would match should we decide to plaster over everything. I feel that with a cream color around the white sidelights they would disappear and I would like for the entrance to stand out. At this point I would even consider painting the door but have no clue which colors go with what is already there. Colors are: dark gray roof tiles, red (terracotta) bricks , pebble dash on walls (with white, dark gray and reddish (as brick) mixed pebbles). the bottom part of the walls (plinth) we would like to paint a darker color. Should I stick with just 2 or 3 colors or more? Husband not much help either unfortunately...
    Thanks.
    Joanne Jakab Interior Design
    Okay then, plaster it in one of the following rich beige/taupe tones which will balance the white and red while hiding the red brick. Each of these suggestions has an undertone one of which you will prefer but all work. Shaker beige HC-45, Sandy Hook Gray HC -108, or Kingsport Gray HC-86. I believe you can purchase faux stone blocks made from styrofoam type material and glue them in place over your brick in a similar pattern and then paint using exterior paint. Search Moulding companies - Exterior Applications here and on Google
  • Stewart Maguire
    I love the brick .
    helen m. thanked Stewart Maguire
  • Stewart Maguire
    Get some new bronze traditional light fixtures at the front door . Cheap at Home Depot .
    helen m. thanked Stewart Maguire
  • helen m.
    Thanks Joanne, we had two plasterers here yesterday, both would be reluctant to plaster over it, because of various reasons (current plaster in excellent condition , very expensive and also will the pebbledash hold the new plaster). My husband picked the red door and does not want to let go of it;)... because of all of this I would be prepared to paint the door a different color; I liked your suggestion of Salamander by Benjamin Moore. Unfortunately I cannot get this color here as we currently live in Ireland. But perhaps Farrow and Ball or others have similar colors. Stewart suggested black as front door color along with black shutters. I am not sure if shutters would work on such big windows (as far as looks), as they could not be working shutters, because there is no space to accommodate them. I am still looking to add that little special something. Also there is the front step we need to think of. Things seemed so easy in the beginning and now it is all just stress...Thank you so much for your recommendations.
  • helen m.
    Thank you Stewart, plasterers we spoke to so far would not want to plaster over everything. I like your idea about the shutters, I considered them a while ago as well, but there is a problem as far as space for them to be working shutters. Also they are fairly large windows (6 foot wide) and looking at pictures on HOUZZ I have not been able to find any which would use shutters on that size of window. At some point I was going to just put one on the left window above the two seater, a working shutter....but am never sure, if this would look right. I am also considering a black front door, but wonder about what color to paint the base of the house, if I keep the current walls with the pebbles and the brick...Thanks for your input..
  • bonnielynn75
    I agree, the red door is not complimentary to the brick work which is a nice feature. I don't think black would be much better, Try some shades of green and tell your hubby, red can be on the interior side of the door! (poor man)

Shutters needn't be "working" only decorative but if that still won't work, mount some window boxes I think you need some way of breaking up the large expanse of wall. trailing ivy and colourful flowers will make the window pop. Don't bother paint the plaster, it looks good!

Regarding the stoop, can you paint it? That I would do in black! Here in North America we have products to refresh cement.

BTW, I have visited Ireland 2x and would be happy to go back anytime!
    helen m. thanked bonnielynn75
  • helen m.
    hello bonnielynn75 and THANK YOU! your comment put a smile on my face re the red on the interior side of the door. It IS red on the inside as well, he insisted on that when we purchased it. no one here has it red on the inside and I wanted it to be white on the inside. do you see my dilemma?;) I agree with everything you are saying, I suppose this is the reason why so far I was not 100% sure about the black for the door either, although I like black...Agree, there is too much wall and I find the house to be looking a bit 'bland' and would like to change that. I LOVE shutters, but read somewhere that you never put shutters on wide windows, so got unsure about that, too...but perhaps just the one as I stated earlier. Would the color on that shutter be the same as the door (if I ever settle on a door color)? Unfortunately window boxes are not an option as we have quite a few cats and they may be used as litter boxes;) please don't tell me to get rid of the cats;)...
    Regarding the stoop (entrance) : we need to add another step (made of cement) on top of the existing step: it was removed when the new door was fitted. We were thinking of putting slate tiles or something dark to match the roof, if that makes any sense.... It is porous cement so unsuitable for painting, I think.

What place in Ireland did you visit, we are close to the Irish Sea in the country surrounded by sheep;)...
  • bonnielynn75
    The 1st visit concentrated on the south Waterford, Cork, Ring of Kerry across to Dublin. 2nd time to Donegal for 3 weeks and exploring on our own from there; to Derry, Belfast & Dublin again. so wonderful. We are from Canada and do home exchanging! The best thing ever!!

keep the cats and abandon the hang up with shutters! go with black and keep the door another colour. The product I was thinking of is a coating for cement...I am not sure of the name as It was done by my friend....

Top of the Morning to you!
    helen m. thanked bonnielynn75
  • helen m.
    Thanks again bonnielynn75, Donegal is quite beautiful and I prefer the north and west of Ireland above any other parts of the country, despite the current situation here...

A door with a subtle green hue appeals to me and my hubby (would you believe it?) so have to see where we go from here. It is custom here in Ireland that the houses are painted at the base in a darker color, because of the rainy weather which tends to add to dirt accumulating at the base (they call it plinth). Keeping things the way they are (ie keeping the bricks and render) and painting the door in a (teal) green hue and the front step dark gray, which color would you suggest for the base around the house?

I am starting to see the light;)...

And a good afternoon to you!
  • helen m.
    Oh, forgot one more question: I noticed on HOUZZ that by adding a trim of around 4 inches around wider windows and then painting that trim makes them stand out and adds some interest. Would that be something I could/should do with these windows? And if so, WHICH color should these trims be painted? More decisions....