webuser_394515645

Fireplace paint / replacement

HU-394515645
last month

A relatively recent purchase means I now own this. Starting to make choices on re-decoration, one of which is does this stay or go.

I don't hate it, but don't love it either. Its original to the house which is mid 50s but built along the lines of a typical 30s (think curved bay window, brick archway over the porch at the front door etc). What I'm hoping to do is still have a bit of style of an older house without being a complete restoration. I'm probably going to re-add a picture rail due to the high ceilings for example.

I have half a mind to remove it and find something a bit smaller (mantle is 52"), art deco-ish without being too fussy.

If I keep it, can tile paint actually look ok? it was painted when I moved in but with satin wood paint, which was poor up close.

Also what can I put in there? the firebox itself is quite narrow and shallow (15" wide at the opening and narrows due to the angled sides, only about 7.5" deep). All I could think of was the cut end of some logs as I've seen in some pictures.

If I was to get rid of it, I understand that the firebox area can be removed, leaving a more normal square opening. I presume that'd be big enough to allow a gas or electric insert. Would I expect to find a lintel that spans across into the brickwork if I did remove the firebox ?

Note there is no chimney breast here, the chimney itself is external to the side of the house.

Thanks

Comments (4)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.