michelle_isme

Kitchen renovation project with complexities - where should we start?

Michelle Isme
2 months ago
last modified: 2 months ago

Hi,

We live in the upstairs flat of an Edwardian house that was converted into two, in North London. As you enter the flat there's a staircase which leads to the first level, where our kitchen and bathroom are, and then there's 5-6 more stairs and the rest of the flat is on that level.

We want to renovate our kitchen and will need to strip everything out (not just replace the units) as the electrics, plumbing, and plastering are generally not very good. There's a few things we want/need to do and we've never done a project like this before (it's the first place we've bought) so we're a bit overwhelmed and don't know where to start.

So, we'd really appreciate some advice on where to start, what order to do things and also answers to a couple of feasibility questions outlined below.

Here's some requirements:

• We think we need to get the kitchen and bathroom rewired - they're both on the same level, next to each other, and both have badly fitted spotlights (some of them either don't work at all and/or new bulbs blow out easily). The kitchen 'spotlights' are particularly awful (big holes in the ceiling - see pics) and only three out of six work. Only two spotlights, of four, work in the bathroom and one of them started flickering and recently tripped our trip switch so we're not using the bathroom lights at all now. We think it makes sense to get the bathroom and kitchen electrics sorted together as it all seems to be a problem on that level of the flat. Should we do this first or wait as we don't know what lighting we'll need for the new kitchen design? We won't want spotlights in the kitchen, though, so the spotlights will need to be covered or filled in.
  • We don't know if we have our own stopcock in the flat - we have had to rely on the downstairs neighbour turning the water off previously i.e. when we replaced our boiler. We'd like to have our own stopcock/water valve - it's possible that we have one already, behind the existing kitchen units, but we won't know until we remove it all. There's apparently one at street level but it's inaccessible.
  • We need a cat flap - we have a makeshift cat flap at the window but we're replacing the old window and ideally would like to find another solution for our cat to get out (which is not really possible in any other room). She goes straight onto the neighbour's roof so a cat flap in the wall, in the corner of the kitchen and straight onto the roof, would be ideal but the wall in question is near the boiler and has some pipes on it (see pics) and was also badly filled in when we had our new boiler installed a couple of years ago... We're inspired by what this couple did (instagram) although don't need anything near as elaborate as that! But we basically don't know if this is at all possible and don't want to pay for a new window and then have to replace it again later to get one with a cat flap in it (again, we'd rather not have it in the window).
  • Replace the floor
  • We'll probably need to get the room plastered again after we remove the old units, plus the ceiling to get rid of those massive 'spot light' holes. The walls behind the units are in a bad state, as far as we can see, and there's also a panel above the existing units (we don't know why it's there or what's behind it).

We're thinking £30-£33k total budget (this needs to include all of the above as well as the kitchen design and units/appliances)... If we can get it any cheaper, obviously that would be even better! Does this sound reasonable for the new kitchen and building/electrical work?

Where should we start?

What order should we do things in?

And, separately, is the cat flap idea feasible given the complexities of the wall we described?

Any tips and advice would be massively appreciated :)

Michelle and Stephen

Photos:

Kitchen:

Kitchen and bathroom next to each other:

Boiler area where we want to add the cat flap:

Corridor into kitchen:

Panel above existing units:

Kitchen 'spotlights':

Floor plan:

Comments (13)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.