webuser_126633775

Bright ideas for internal doors

Rowena Cox
last year

Hi all,

We have inherited a slightly odd design of doors.. we live in a Victorian terrace with living and dining room adjoining.

There are 2 doors from the entrance hall, one into the dining room (which we use) and one into the living room (which we don’t use as there’s carpet and it’s getting ruined)

So our dining room has become the default entrance to the downstairs from the hall.

But the doors between the living room and dining room are a nightmare. To have them open (which is better for flow and light) means that the constantly bang and hit each other (see pic).
The wall is a structural wall and I think it would be extremely hard to put in a pocket door

So what would you do? The options i can think of are

• bifold if doors (but that narrows the gap and limits the light between the 2 rooms)
  • doors on runners (but they still bang)
  • swing the doors into living room (but then we need to change the thresholds - currently carpet meets wood)
  • take doors off (but then it’s not so cosy, people can’t sleep in the living room as easily etc)

Any other ideas?

Tia

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.