goldenretriever12345

Room layout - ideas?

Hi there, any ideas for changing layout of this room. Was supposed to be a playroom but children never go in. I think just make it into another living room (?) but would love any ideas re-arranging furniture, wall colour (magnolia currently), etc. Bright colours maybe, against white sofa?? Any thoughts much appreciated, with thanks in advance:).

• minnie101
    Hi. You went off turning it into a playroom then?! Do you need 2 lounges, will you really use them? I'd think of a function for the room first, snug/tv room, study, library, man cave, craft room etc etc
    goldenretriever12345 thanked minnie101
  • goldenretriever12345
    Thanks Minnie, yes playroom doesn't seem to be working as children & their friends never use it. Perhaps I just can't make get it set up right for them. No, don't need another lounge really. House sold with this room to be 5th bedroom but I don't need a bedroom downstairs either. Thanks again for your time, I think the snug/tv room suggestion maybe the best..
  • Related Discussions

Looking for Ideas for Kitchen/Living Room

Q

Two ideas. Both times I would block up the entrance to the second half of the room to make more usuable space. Both ideas have a island with a dining table attached. Obviously these drawings are not to scale but everything should fit in. I would utilise the kitchen cuboards for utilities- intergrated appliances. If you can dont forget to use the space under your stairs as well. Also use the long wall at the bottom of the stairs for extra storage and alcoves.
    ...See More

Ideas for garden layout (with photos)

Q

Considering building a wall (no pun intended) along the left and right sides of the garden in this photo Left side Right side A similar type of brick to the ones used here The overall objective is brighten up the garden without trying to make it look too flashy. On the left side I'd like to plant Portuguese laurel for privacy and prevent overlooking from the adjoining property. The slide and swings in the photo have to go due to wear and will replace with a treehouse at the bottom of the garden beside the blue shed. The garden is approx. 20 metres long and 10 metres wide. Would really appreciate any design tips or potential pitfalls...
    ...See More

Living room layout

Q

Currently trying to redesign a living room and as it's quite a long and big room with loads of doors and we are finding it quite difficult. We haven't bought anything yet but I just done up a rough layout on a free website. There isn't a good are to put the TV and couch as there are double doors in the centre of the room. Please help!!
    ...See More

Hi, help please with sitting room layout!

Q

Hi, looking for best layout of living room. It's a long narrow room with a bay window. It's mainly used for the boys playing xbox, but would still like to create a nice room for all the family. Main questions are, do you agree that a TV would not work if hung over fire place because of narrow room? What to hang on walls? What to put in corner where light coloured book shelf is? Present book shelf is just in storage there!! I like the couches so am keeping them!! Any advice much appreciated,
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    I can't remember the age of your children but looking at the toys they appear quite young still. Sacrilege I know but if you got rid of the sofa and turned it into a full playroom they may like it? Adapt it for homework etc as they get older. It would be nice as a snug though. Personally I'd make it a library with bookcases along the long wall by the door and add a table where the tv is for board games etc! It would make a lovely Sunday room for reading papers etc! You just need a coffee machine!
    goldenretriever12345 thanked minnie101
  • goldenretriever12345
    The bookcase is a greatr idea Minnie and part of what the room is lacking, I was just unsure of the layout. I think a striped rug and different cushions, also change the wall colour as its not the brightest room. Children are small and would rather be around me at the moment but they might like their own room when a little older..:) Thanks again for your time - much appreciated.
  • minnie101
    Yes, my suggestion wouldn't work looking at the pics again! I didn't think the door was butt up to the wall!! Maybe add the room dimensions (and sofa) so people can assist with layout as it's always difficult looking at pics. Yes unfortunately the children will grow out of that. The sofa and the raspberry colour do give it a classic English feel so maybe some light sage green, florals etc if you want to go that route. I personally wouldn't add more stripes but that might be me.The room is quite dark by the door but it does look like a lovely summery room when you look at the sofa wall and window. Which way does it face?
    goldenretriever12345 thanked minnie101
  • goldenretriever12345
    There would be room for shelving/bookcase. I have dimensions and will add later (when I find them!!) Its not especially bright as window is smallest in house and northfacing. Do you think sofa could go anywhere else (won't fit under window) or maybe mirror facing window (or close by window).. Thanks Minnie - you've been really kind..and you're right about the stripes!
  • minnie101
    The sofa could go on that back wall? I actually just saw a pic of stripes and stripes and it looked good (but vertical on curtains and horizontal on sofa with a floral rug)! This is clearly the wrong colour but image to inspire you from reddit! There are a few places online that do made to measure bookcases. I used I think Jali for a bookcase a couple of years ago. it was mainly mdf but looked absolutely fine painted. That may be an option depending on wall used although I think you'd need to paint it yourself
    goldenretriever12345 thanked minnie101
  • goldenretriever12345
    That's a lovely room Minnie, I know colour not suited to mine but it works so well there. Will try moving sofa around and have a bookcase I can move from upstairs and paint if necessary. Will post a picture if ever successful:)! Thanks for taking time to attach photo - much appreciated..
  • bookworm987
    From the toys in the photo,it looks as though your children are very young. At this age they prefer to play underfoot, I remember! However, in a few short years,they will really appreciate having their own space - and so will you. My kids are 7 and 9. When we first bought our house 6 years ago I was happy for their toys to be in their bedrooms and the living room. Now, I'm going crazy with the lego and sylvanians all over the place.We've just bought a new house and the best part is, it will have a playroom. I can't wait!
    I would say the reason your kids aren't keen on the room is that the sofa takes up so much of the floor area. The room would work well as an extra living room, but if that's not what you need, maybe you should sell the sofa and invest in some great built-in storage for toys and books, leaving lots of floor space to play. Coffee tables also function really well in a playroom as a place to do a jigsaw or build lego. Get some squashy beanbags and big floor cushions in lots of bright colours. The kids will never want to leave!
    goldenretriever12345 thanked bookworm987
  • minnie101
    This one I think is a actually a trompe l'oeil if you look where the pictures are hung, very clever! Do try it and post pics. It's a lovely room so a shame not to use it
    goldenretriever12345 thanked minnie101
  • goldenretriever12345
    Hi Minnie, yes it does look so with pictures hung are they are, I agree its very clever. I will start to make some attempt with this room today :) Its a shame to waste a space..
  • goldenretriever12345
    Hello Bookworm, many thanks for your thoughts. Yes, children are small and I do agree the sofa doesn't work here. It is part of a matching pair so I don't really want to get rid of it as the other works quite well in a different style room. Bean bags are on my list, great idea. Just a thought - I wonder would it be better to let children just stay around wherever and turn this room into a dining room (although I wonder would we use it)..No, maybe best to leave as playroom/den - maybe I could move the sofa around..I will start today! Your help so much appreciated.
  • minnie101
    Heartysoup, is your orchid artificial? If so where did you get it from? I like the lights too, haven't seen those before. It looks a lovely relaxing room.
  • goldenretriever12345
    Hello Heartysoup, thanks so much for your response. I couldn't agree with you more but I have a room as you suggest which we retire to in the evening - no children allowed (well that's the idea). I love the grey and white of your scheme (I've used grey/white in one of the bedrooms), particularly love the mirror. I thought children might like their own space but certainly they don't yet. Still I have to do something with this room - its a waste leaving it as it is. I think if I could figure out where to move the sofa I might make some progress..
  • credz4
    last modified: 5 years ago
    Take out sofa, use beanbags and those blow up seats for their friends. Coloured rugs for tumbling and crawling on. Supersoft teddy bear blankets so they can curl up. Add in one of those soft blanket boxes for toy storage and so you have somewhere soft to perch when you are with them. Paper half way up the wall in the wall paper that kids can draw on, so they can decorate in whatever colour they like and you won't mind. A childs lift up desk, bookcase and some crazy lamps in weird colours. Then close the door, collapse on the sofa that you have moved, breathe a sigh of relief and thank your lucky stars that you have another room for the kids to go to. (Grab wine and pretend they aren't yours for half an hour! ;-) )
    goldenretriever12345 thanked credz4
  • goldenretriever12345
    Thanks Credz for your ideas. Seems everyone agrees sofa must go - just don't know where to put it!! Blanket box great idea, or perhaps window seat..Must first find somewhere or this sofa:)
  • minnie101
    You could just move your sofa to the back wall? This would leave more than enough room for the kids play area. It's the feature of the room at the moment so dominates it. I can't find any images that I can accredit but Google "small playroom ideas with window seat storage" and there are some lovely ideas. I'd then add a table and chairs in the middle of the room with perhaps the Beanbags and a colourful rug. And then either convert your existing bookcase to house the tv or buy an ikea storage solution. Then just decorate with some fun ideas.
    goldenretriever12345 thanked minnie101
  • goldenretriever12345
    Hi Minnie, I've just googled as you suggested and there's lots of ideas. Seems to be a lot of green/red combinations which could work around the small storage unit I have and possible the roman blind too - although I was thinking of removing blind to let in more light..I wonder would green/red theme be too strong..As ever, I really appreciate your thoughts - I've had three different interior designers look at this room!
  • minnie101
    Removing the blind would definitely help with the light. Maybe a simple roller blind (thinking of winter months and having to have a light on ) or nothing at all if you're not overlooked? Red and green are great for a playroom. Were you thinking of doing it all in those colours? If so, I would go for a zesty or warm green on the wall so something with yellow in so as to warm up the space as ŷoure North facing. It is quite a strong look but you want a play room to be fun and bright. If not, maybe ink of yellow to work with the light? Did you like any of the designers suggestions?
    goldenretriever12345 thanked minnie101
  • goldenretriever12345
    Hi Minnie, happily not overlooked but would window look little bare with nothing..Noticed early this morning room flooded with sunlight so must be north-east facing - not as sunny now though but have removed blind and much brighter. I don't want to overdo the red/green theme but maybe could balance with white. I believe white walls wouldn't help room to seem warmer though. Designers suggestions for this room - first a dining room and a very nice plan but moved dining to another room; second just advised on heavy curtains & wallpapers; third said to paint walls red (!) and buy some storage from Ikea. I don't think I want to paint a wall red though..
  • minnie101
    That's lucky! I think a roller blind will let in the most amount of light. You could try a white paint with yellow undertones. It may not work in the morning but I guess the kids are likely to use the room later in the day? the room will be warm will furniture and accessories. I've attached this image from weloveit, not necessarily this exact thing on the wall but wall art could warm it. I do love their built in storage! You could also try a few different colours unless you're set on red and green? Are the kids both girls or one of each? Something with their names on always help too even if they can't read yet! Maybe a cushion or beanbag or standing letters on the bookcase or something.
    goldenretriever12345 thanked minnie101
  • goldenretriever12345
    Have picked up every toy and put in toy storage boxes!! Sofa & desk now clear to be moved. Moved out lamps and two end tables so now will try to move around small unit, desk & that sofa..Definitely not set on red/green, far prefer the softer tones in the image you (very kindly) attached. Wall art is definitely an option & the different coloured lights work well. Any ideas where to move furniture?? I'll give it a go!
  • minnie101
    Well done!! Maybe you should aim for something like this then? It's fun and colourful but also not in your face for want of a better phrase! I'd put the sofa on the back wall and the desk under the tv for now. Take some pics and see if the rest of the space will work as a play area. If there's room for the sofa to stay, which it does look like, it also gives you somewhere to sit and watch them and also a place to read with them.
    goldenretriever12345 thanked minnie101
  • jessica615

Just seen this. What did you do with the room in the end? You're lucky to have a ready built playroom. We're converting one of our garages to make a playroom.