newseason1

Internal Doors - Walnut v Oak

newseason1
9 years ago
I am changing my internal doors, frames skirting's etc. My house is an L Shaped bungalow and has high ceilings. My hallway is wide with 4 doors exiting off of it while my corridor to the bedrooms is narrow with 6 doors off of it. My preference would be walnut doors flush doors (no grooves as collects dust) with chrome fittings complimented with cream/white walls. The carpet shall be replaced with cream tiles. I worry that the walnut will be too dark especially in the corridor, I intend glazing 3 of the doors in the hallway to introduce light. My kitchen is chestnut. I would conside oak but preference would be walnut - All suggestions welcome - Thanks

Comments (3)

• minnie101
    9 years ago
    If the hall is that narrow and dark, walnut is not going to help as you've said. I assume you favour darker woods so wouldn't be keen on a light oak? If you really want the doors, add decent lighting. Go for an off white paint with a cream undertone with reflective particles. Add mirrors or anything reflective to bounce the light around. Painting the skirts and architraves white would help but I assume you want these left natural? Just a long shot but have you considered white doors with a walnut floor?!
    newseason1 thanked minnie101
  • house mad
    9 years ago
    id go white or cream to be honest i had walnut very dark after a while and need dusting a lot ...my mother has oak easy to clean etc but ginger looking.........i feel white always clean bright goes with everything x
    newseason1 thanked house mad
  • Matthew Decorator
    8 years ago
    If the rooms are painted white or off-white the woodwork won't darken it to much
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.