jason_ni_2022

Structural Engineer or Architect for flat roof conversion?

Jason W
last year

I will be looking to replace a flat roof, for a pitched one. It is over an integral garage, but there is room about 3m wide in between the garage and the house, and the flat roof extends over this room and the garage.

Who is 1st point of contact, does a structural engineer come up with best roof for the space, and draw up plans, factoring in load bearing/walls/foundations etc.

Or is it an architects job? Will they do the same thing?

To confuse matters more, I will be rebuilding the porch, which is also currently covered with the flat roof, so the new roof will either need to be integrated with that, or maybe have a separate gable end pitch.

Online articles are not clear, some say get an engineer and they can do the lot, then others suggest you need an architect ( if architect do then need structural engineer as well for the loadbearing capacity?)

Fairly new to anything roof related, appreciate any thoughts.

Comment (1)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.