william_flood36

Source for good value architecture to refurb 70's lake bungalow

William Flood
8 years ago
Hi,
I am looking for a clever way of getting architectural talent to refurb a 70's bungalow. I went with the old adage location x3 and as a result my budget needs to be carefully spent on the refurb of the house. I am happy enough that I can get a full building survey, CAD drawings, levels etc from an engineer who is a cousin of mine. I was thinking of some clever ways to get an architect to work with me;

- Elance.com
- Getting an architect student to do a project on it over summer
- Getting an architect practicing to do it as a side line
- Create some sort of competition and get people to pitch for it for a set price (outside of elance)

I've looked at fantastic st-architects for new build sites I considered but doing a refurb is a different animal. I'm happy enough to get an interior designer to do the inside and I sort of thought €2500 would go along way with an interior designer. It's not a major rebuild but I want to change the garage to an office/utility. I want to change windows, doors, paint, selected rendering, facia, soffit and paint the tiles on the roof. What would others plan to spend to try get a clever architect solution?

Thanks,

William

Comments (9)

• William Flood
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Cool - where do you get a concept planner? I've never heard of them over here at all. I'm in Ireland.
  • Lady Tottington's Poodle
    8 years ago
    There's one on here. OnePlan. should find somewhere on the threads gives fab advice x
  • alant1000
    8 years ago
    Good luck with it, I'm envious of the design you have a fantastic looking house and you can do something remarkable with this!
    William Flood thanked alant1000
  • Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago
    What a stunning house. Good luck.
    William Flood thanked Juliet Docherty
  • Juliet Docherty
    8 years ago

Why do you need an architect if you're not doing major structural work? Surely just some simple drawings for the garage/office work?

• minnie101
    8 years ago
    I agree with colour happy. The house is great and even just painting it white would have a stunning impact. The windows look great already from what I can see. If you're replacing the garage door with windows maybe some wooden cladding would enhance it even more. I hope you have some bifolds to take advantage of those amazing views!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
    looks a lovely location ! Great ideas to keep innovative intervention at great prices although architectural students spend a lot of time studying though - may not have much spare time ! Thanks for the mention LadyTP ( that's two this week ! Are you a stalker ?! Lol ! )
    Drop me a line if you'd like some info on how OnePlan work William !
  • PRO
    House Plans Helper
    8 years ago
    I think the design of the exterior has real 70s integrity. A bit of paint is all you need. Replace the garage doors with floor to ceiling windows matching the aesthetic the current windows already have.

You should check out Cocontest.com for architecture work, or you could try and find an interior architect (there are degree courses in interior architecture these days)

I've seen loads of one plan's posts and it would definitely be worth having a chat with them.

I also think that you'll get more out of the project if you can educate yourself a little on design. I do my best to do this over on www.houseplanshelper.com
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.