olivia_ritchie49

Difficulty with builder - need advice

Olivia Ritchie
2 years ago

I’m looking for some advice. We are having a ground floor side return extension done on our new house. My partner and I worked with an architect and the contractor is a recommendation from a friend. Things have taken a turn over the last couple of weeks; we were told it would be a 10 week job but due to issues with our foundations we hit a 2 week delay.

We are 3 months in and progress has been incredibly slow, our builder keeps telling us our house has been a ”nightmare” and is slowing down all his other jobs. He’s working on a property close to us - we know the owners and know that their house is very delayed too due to things not arriving in time (no ones fault).

Last week, no one turned up to work at our house for 2 days in a row so we called the builder who said he’d phone back, he didn’t, so we called again, he didn’t answer. We called Monday he didn’t answer until late in the afternoon and said he’d phone us the next day. By 4pm the next day he hadn’t called so we phoned him and he told us we were delayed again by another 4 weeks. We explained how disappointed we were and he hung the phone up on us. I called back and he said by end of week he’d call us with the plan for rest of build. Friday evening we’d heard nothing so called and he texted saying he’d forgotten to call us and would tomorrow. I’ve messaged this morning he’s ignored it, and he also ignored my call.

I’m not worried about him doing a runner - I trust him that much. But I’m at my wits end now, he just doesn’t seem to have any respect for me and my partner (both female) and just keeps palming us off. When we are on the phone to him he doesn’t let us get a word in and just talks over us saying the same thing; our house is a nightmare. Please can someone help me know what to do? He doesn’t really work on-site so our communication is over text. I just don’t know what to do and I feel so upset about it.

Also, we’ve been good clients I think. Always paying on time, being easy to reach, doing things like buying the builders pizza/nice snacks and we know them all by name.

Comments (10)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.