justinepoveda

D.I.Y. Modular Stairs...Has anyone tried them?

Justine
6 years ago
We have a large bulky staircase leading from our kitchen/dining room to the converted attic where our sons' bedroom. In the course of designing a new kitchen we priced more open , more modern staircases. I was shocked at how expensive alternatives are. Cantaloupe stairs are not an option as the walls are cheap, thin and nasty anyway. Then I came across 'kit stairs' from 'Arke Stairs' in Italy. We live in Ireland so it means ordering them and accepting a DVD with instructions for installation. I like their modern , minimal look, and their considerably lower price. I am waiting to see if the Genius 020 Modular Stairs can be delivered and how much , but am anxious for any advice on how other customers found them. Can they be installed by anyone or will I need to hire a carpenter? What obstacles/difficulties have customers come across? And, have they 'stood up' to traffic such as hormonal teenagers stomping up to their room! Any advice / observations gladly welcome!

Comments (3)

• kaffitz
    6 years ago
    Hi Justine, alas those stairs in their current format are not compliant with building regulations. There are no balustrades or handrails on the left portion of the stairs where they start from the floor.
  • kaffitz
    6 years ago
    If you ever want to sell your property this would restrict your sale. You can google Ireland stair regulations to find out more.
  • PRO
    Gerry Condon Design
    6 years ago

Justine, in the case of a fire (probably starting in the kitchen) there must be direct escape (half hour protection at least) from the bedrooms in the attic to the exterior, it is not permissible to escape through a kitchen. The new stairs should be separate from the kitchen, if this is not possible then the attic should only be used as a study or play room and not a bedroom.

I am also based in Ireland you are welcome to contact me.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.