mark_rs1973

Paint colour for stringers

Mark R
3 years ago

Hi. I’m slowly restoring our 1970s Sapele wood staircase and was wondering what colour to paint the stringers. Whilst scraping away old paint on the treads I have discovered that the stringers are also Sapele wood and were painted over by previous occupants. I’ve thought about stripping the paint off but think the staircase will look too dark. Additionally, we will also have to clad, with painted plywood, the risers on the upper half of the stairs as these have been badly chipped by years of carpet grip rods and nails. I’m happy to paint the stringers and risers white but my wife thinks we should go with a really pale grey. We have already used a tester (Dulux Grey Steel 3) but it’s really pale (see photo). The next shade up may be too dark. Any advice? We don’t mind something bolder either but it must go with the Sapele wood. Thanks.

Comments (4)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.