edyta_cartwright

What is the best layout for a kitchen in the middle of the house?

Edyta Cartwright
3 years ago

We are having a rear extension built which will be our new living room. The house is a 3 bed semi with the kitchen at the back of the house and the plan is to keep it there but I'm struggling to visualise the best layout. The extension is split level with a vaulted ceiling because we have a sloping garden and we don't want too big of a drop into it. We were thinking about having an L shaped kitchen with units running along the left hand wall, where the chimney is going to be taken out, and the side overlooking the extension. We would also like an island but don't want the kitchen to become too crammed. Has anyone done a similar thing and has any tips for best kitchen layouts?

Comments (21)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

So the kitchen is staying in the space marked kitchen?

The space will be open to the new extension? But change in floor heights?

If that's right I don't think you have space for an island. You'd only be able to do that if you had same floor height and the rooms could blend as one then you could have a Wow kitchen/dining/living space. If your kitchen is staying as is, what is the current layout and dies it work and would you be happy having similar layout?

You could have a peninsula, but with change in floor heights close to an island it would be a hazard in my eye.

If it was me, I'd use the new space for kitchen/dining and the old kitchen as snug

• Edyta Cartwright
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The current kitchen is L shaped along the walls with dotted lines but they are going to be coming down when the extension is built. Where the stairs to the new extension are and the w/m room that's the current bathroom.

The kitchen is staying in the space marked Kitchen and will either be open to the new extension with some sort of a glass barrier or we may keep a low wall if we decide to put cabinets along that side.

We did think about putting the kitchen into the extension but i don't want to have a room without any windows that will be a 'walk through' space to the extension and no-one will use...

• Related Discussions

URGENT Please help with Kitchen Diner living layout

Q

Comments (5)
    The long black one is the back garden door way.The smaller one on the same wall is the door way leading to extension;s corridor. The black square at the front is the door way to enter the room. The white squares are the supportive pillars for the back wall and the long one is the chimney breast. Thank you for your answer :)
    ...See More

Kitchen layout/planning

Q

Comments (4)
    I can perfectly understand that you don't want an additional door off the hall, and do you really want to approach the utility with washing etc, through a hall anyway? I just wonder why you want to make the door disappear, when its not on a wall with units? If it were, it might be easy to paint it/finish it similar to cabinets, but in the middle of the wall it will stand out anyway, whatever you do. To my mind, it might be better to just put an ordinary door in there, similar to other interior ones or glass paneled if you wan the light. If you are going to do it out with similar units to kitchen, it will flow in any case, if you can see them. Several friends have done this lately and it looks fine and the continuity through the glass paneled door just seems to make the kitchen appear even larger and lighter.
    ...See More

New extension Kitchen/Dining room layout

Q

Comments (2)
    rough sketch of outline may help!!
    ...See More

Kitchen/Living/Dining/Plant Room Design and Layout

Q

Comments (6)
    We will have oak trusses also. I want to have a lot of natural materials inside.
    ...See More
  • CWD
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'd do something like this - overhang into the extension with tall stools there so that you can sit at the "island". So that the gap between the two runs of cabinets isn't too great, I'd bring forward the ones with the cooker on it - and then continue the worktop back over this recess so that you get deep worktop around the cooker (can push back kettle/toaster/blender/mixer into the space when not using) and add shelves above it - again will be recessed back from the worktop so not feeling too in your face. Gives lots of cabinets as well as worktop space. There will be cabinets opening onto the extension where the bar stools are.

Alternatively, this would also work, but less cabinet and worktop space - but does keep all the cabinets opening into the kitchen rather than the extension. And follows the flow of the house (front to back). Would need something to stop you falling off the edge - perhaps a glass bannister so it's visually light.

I'd keep the kitchen there too - you will be walking through and around it anyway so it might as well be in the 'walkway' space. With it all open up to the extension it'll be one big room too, so this is just the darkest corner of it - perfect for a kitchen, you'll have a lovely view out across the new room and through the bifolds too.

Note that I've assumed 330cm to the dotted line, rather than including the 'walkway' section from the door to the steps down. If that's not right, it will affect the space you have for the kitchen.

• Ellie
    3 years ago

So your kitchen is going to be a "room with no windows that is a walkway to the new extension" - considering the amount that goes on in a kitchen,hazards etc, I think this is worse than suggested.

• kwg kwg
    3 years ago

Hello, I think it will be very tight to have an island there. You usually need at least minimum 1m distance from base unit to island and then space to walk around the island. For example base units & worktop space approx. 65cm, 100cm base unit to island which leaves you 165cm for island and room for stools. Is the 330cm the width up to the dotted line or right across the room?

If 330cm up to dotted line, guess you could have a 1m wide island and then you have 65cm for stools and space to get on and off etc but it will be tight.

How do you plan to use your island? If no appliances then I think 100cm island width should be ok but if you plan to have a hob or sink, don't think there would be sufficient space for people to sit safely wthout being splashed by water or oil.

Another thought is that if you have the kitchen there and your dining table is in the extension then it could also be a trip hazard especially taking dinner down to table etc.

I like the idea of the kitchen area being a snug instead and moving the kitchen down to the extension along with the dining table ( if you plan to have one ).

Do you have something else planned for the the existing living room? Is that the reason why you want the extension to be the new living room?

The vaulted ceiling looks like it will be a lovely feature though.

• Edyta Cartwright
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for all the different ideas. We have a lot to consider.

Kwg kwg- 330 width is to the dotted line. We wouldn't have any appliances in the island but i agree that it may still be too tight. We may think about putting in a U shaped kitchen and having a bit of an overhang on one side and having couple of stools there. The table will be in the lounge which is not ideal but we'll have to compromise there. The current lounge is quite small and with two kids age 10 and 12 the idea is to have 2 separate living areas so that they can have a bit of their own space.

colourwisedesign I like the second plan but perhaps the stools could go on the other side of the island? I may play around with some tape on the floor and see how the space feels.

Ellie we'll have good lighting in the kitchen. Also with four velux windows, a sliding door plus glass panel above it we should be ok. I suppose our current lounge is more like a snug room and we can only have 1 sofa in there which makes it difficult to relax and spend time as a family. That's why we want the extension to be a big family lounge.

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

One option

• Carolina
    3 years ago

I assumed the 'walkway' is 100 cm wide. I think that something like this could work? But if you want a good space planner/kitchen designer, look for OnePlan here on Houzz. She will know all the rules and regulations and has great ideas.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Maybe...

Forgot to mention that you might want to put the steps in the extension instead of taking away floor space from the kitchen area.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 years ago

I'm doing an eco kitchen with a similar floor height change. It's slightly smaller than yours so to make the most of the height, we've put the right hand side (where the change in height happens) with short units so that they still work at working height but we can steal a bit more width.
    this is a really dark part of the house so we've put all the tall units at the back so the working areas are close to the window and then used these sit on units with extra deep base units for the sink so we can put a slot window above for some extra light.

It's slightly different to your kitchen but there are some unusual ideas in this design which you might want to pinch!

if you want any help, feel free to get in touch

good luck
    Emily x

• PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 years ago

oh and we put in a stud wall behind the short units to hide the kitchen mess, provide a display shelf and also somewhere for the sofa to have its back to without it being covered in cooking smells and splash!

• Emmanuelle
    3 years ago

Personally, love Carolina’s plan! Keeping the front lounge, albeit small, is crucial for a family with kids.... the only thing I would suggest, is having the dinning table in the top left corner of your plan, near the windows, with a built in bench: to have the view on your garden while at the table would be essential for me, as we spend a great deal of time at that table doing all sorts, not just eating!

• Edyta Cartwright
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all for some great ideas and suggestions. Carolina I love the layout and the peninsula where the kids will be able to sit down and have breakfast. I like the idea of the glass bannister by the stairs but I wonder if i we should keep a short wall between the cabinets and the peninsula that’s the height of the cabinets like Emily suggested.

I was picturing a table in the spot just like on Carolina‘a plan but Emmanuelle’s idea of a table with a built in bench looks amazing. the extension will be 5 metres long and 5.30 wide and I’m hoping we can organise the space so that it flows well.

Emily what extractor fan are you putting in? I did think about having a hob just like on your plan but couldn’t quite picture an extractor fan above the hob. I’m quite keen to have a gas hob and so the down draft one would not be possible i don’t think? Thanks

Edyta

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Glad you like it. Funny, I thought: shall I put in a built in bench or chairs? Then decided for chairs, because you'd have enough space for that too, I think. But bench, by all means. I like the glass, for extra light, but it's up to you of course. I didn't put in the different floor levels, don't know how to in this program :-) So I'll have to leave that up to your imagination. The wall (and the glass) would be higher, seen from living area level.

• Edyta Cartwright
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks very much. I’m very happy with this layout. Hope my hubby will be too 😂

• CWD
    3 years ago

Check dimensions in the room - if you have space, I would highly recommend making the island deeper to have more space around the sink and just to have more worktop space. You could install half-depth cabinets behind the sink and keep the end closest to extension with knee space for the stools. Am thinking a solid half-wall, rather than the glass bannister, might be best so you're not seeing all the legs when you're at dining table or in lounge area. Good luck with the build!

Edyta Cartwright thanked CWD
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Lady UK
    3 years ago

We're having a vented induction hob but no that won't work with gas. try a ceiling extractor for a clean look.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Bora says they have a downdraft extractor that works with gas too. They mentioned it in a discussion on here a while ago.

• Carolina
    3 years ago

But you can just use a ceiling extractor or a wall hung one. Why would you use a downdraft if the hob is not in an island or peninsula?

• Carolina
    3 years ago

Half wall, half glass? Deeper island, 100 cm deep and an overhang for the stools. Maybe it's an option to have a pocket door for the laundry and bathroom?

• PRO
    Luke BORA ASM London
    3 years ago

Hi Carolina, lots of people are placing a BORA against a wall. Why? well it creates a very open airy /spacious feel without an extractor placed above a hob!! why else... BORAs are super-efficient ...so no need to clean wall units, shelving ,adjacent elements.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.