james_ken27

Kitchen/Living/Dining/Plant Room Design and Layout

james_ken27

Hi,

I'm a first time poster but find the site great for ideas and having expert opinions. I would really appreciate some feedback on our kitchen design and layout.

What I want from the space:

• I am a function first person and will sacrifice the aesthetics to make the space work better for me.
  • I want it to be a social space and I like the idea of having an island and peninsula facing the room.
  • However when the kitchen was designed with this in mind, I found I did not have enough space for my requirements. I then decided to use the space under the stairs as a pantry on the kitchen side and a plant room on the hall side.
  • I want good walkways around the main working triangle
  • I'm trying to separate the cooking area from the main traffic areas in the kitchen. I don't foresee the door into the kitchen being used regularly, as I have another back-door and sliding door in the dining room.
  • The Dining and Living Room is a double height space with exposed feature trusses.
  • Fireplace: The fireplace will be a natural stone wall. We are going with an Dimplex Opti-myst electric fireplace.

Technical Information

• There will be a 215mm (block on the flat) between pantry cabinets and plant room. These aren't in the drawing.
  • Plant Room: Plant room will house Air to Water heat pump, under floor heating manifolds and MHRV. The plan is to have hidden doors into the plant room, accessed from the hall.
  • There are two glass sliding doors into the living room that lets the morning sun into the room.

Areas I would love and appreciate feedback:

1. General design
  2. Oven hood: I need a hood that is effective at getting rid of steam/smells, that is not too noisey and one that doesn't obstruct my view of the room/TV. I am thinking of an island style oven hood. I don't want a down-draft hood. Does anybody have any recommendations?
  3. Counter space: I am concerned I will not have enough counter space for prepping food, laying down the shopping, plating up and around the sink
  4. Kitchen Door/Picture Window: Should I go with a picture window beside the hob or a glass door.
  5. TV Placement: My architect recommended that the TV is placed above the fireplace. My concern is that it will be positioned too high and it will annoy me having to strain my neck looking up. I am unsure of the height of the TV, as I want to be able to see it from the kitchen and dining room but also be comfortable sitting down.I was thinking of placing the TV in the South Corner of the room (to the right of the fireplace.
  6. Height of pendants over dining table?
  7. Plant Room: Do I have enough room in the plant room for all plumbing elements? I was thinking of having what is now the drinks cabinet as 40mm deep and the pantry as 70mm deep (a mixture of the pantry layout in the stairs section and the main plans). This would give more room for the water tank and heat pump.

If there are any more information you need, let me know.

Much appreciated

James