webuser_408244039

Removing third bedroom/study to open up downstairs?

Ella
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi there,

Very grateful for people's advice on this one: we've got a terraced Victorian 3-bed property (see floorplan below) but the layout is a bit funky and we're not quite sure how to get around it.

We'd like to open up the downstairs space and have seen architect plans from when the previous owner considered this: they proposed moving the downstairs bathroom upstairs to where the smallest bedroom is, and then adding on an open family/dining room space in its place that would open up into the back bit of the garden via folding doors, and have roof lighting throughout.

It sounds lovely but we're really keen to keep a study space and would want a second bedroom for guests/potential kids, and the only way we could really see that working is by getting a loft extension, but then the stairs would likely eat into one of the (already not very big) rooms...plus it's not the cheapest of options. (There's no landing to speak of as it's just butterfly stairs, so makes it even trickier!)

Alternatively, we were thinking of knocking through the kitchen and lounge (either entirely/half wall to keep counter space) but that would involve a lot of work in the kitchen anyway as all the units and cooker are on that wall...plus it doesn't seem the best use of the garden space to have the bathroom opening onto it, when it would be great to create flow by having a living space there.

Your advice would be gratefully received on any creative ways of maintaining a dedicated study space/third bedroom and opening up downstairs.

Thanks!

Ella

Comments (12)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.