ally1221

Ground floor dilemma - Open plan or not?

Alison
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We want to make the most of the ground floor of our home and have got a bit stuck. We have gone through the pros and cons of each idea but nothing is jumping at us. I was hoping to get some ideas on what may be the best idea.

This first picture is the current layout of our ground floor. We have a large lounge to the rear of the house (Approx. 5x3.5 m) with a kitchen and dining room that each have their own doors off of the hallway and also can be opened together with doors between the two rooms. This arrangement does work for us but there are lots of doors and a lot of wasted space that we would prefer to use up.

Our first idea was to block up the kitchen door off of the hallway, taking out the wall between the kitchen and dining room to create one larger kitchen diner. This works for us in the sense it makes the area more usable, kitchen larger etc, and is the most cost effective option. However the hallway corridor becomes very long and the distance between the lounge door and the kitchen/diner door seems particularly far.

Our second option is the layout below. We would block up the current kitchen/diner doorway and put a lounge/snug at the front of the house. The rest of the downstairs would then be opened up to create a kitchen (with island), diner & family lounge area. The image below is to scale with the exception of the furniture (I quickly drew this on before uploading. But we have measured it all on another drawing to ensure it all fits!). This option would be the most costly but would create a lovely open plan area. Our only worries are is it worth the cost and is it worth losing our large lounge.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Comments (11)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.