rosemonde

advice needed on end of terrace extension and garage conversion

rosemonde
3 years ago

We are in the early planning stage of an extension project. The house is a modest end of terrace but benefits from a garage, which I am planning to convert and open into the existing lounge. The current front is open plan, but we want to close it so it can be used as a guest bedroom with attached shower room.

The house has already been extended at the back, but we would extend behind the garage to make room for an open kitchen, dining and lounge.

We haven’t instructed anyone for planning yet because the house is rented at the moment.

I’ve noticed that most garage conversions keep the original wall, but we would want that open so the front room is deeper. Obviously there will need to be a beam in place, but is there anything that makes this impossible in theory? Or would the costs be huge?

One of my priorities is to have a walk in pantry and large utility room. I would use the dark middle of the house to house these, and possibly some of the extension space behind the garage.

The photos are of the house listing when we bought it - please don’t pay attention to the furniture style as it’s not ours.

Any advice or comments on the initial rough plans? How best to use the open plan room at the back? Thanks in advance.

existing front room
existing kitchen
proposed ground floor
existing ground floor

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.