bft8

Neighbours extension wall

bft8
Our neighbours have built an extension however its higher than we expected and blocks out all sunlight into our kitchen.
I'm looking for some amazing ideas to decorate the wall. It's finished in monocouche btw.
I'm thinking up lighting, built in seating, wall decor but nothing too pricey!

• Matthew Decorator
    I would check planning permission on that wall, seems far to high and I'm surprised it got passed...if it did
  • Related Discussions

Wall & window covering colours

Q

Hello niamh6426, A nicely proportioned set of rooms.. Lovely features, nicely done! Bring the sofa in the opening further into the room so it doesn't block the flow... Ideally move it away from the french doors? So a few things to suggest here.. Why not paint above the picture rail the white to tie in with the ceiling.. the lavender and sage work nicely and so it really is which you might want to pick out.. I'm thinking of the chimney breast to bring it out into the room with even more focus..... A deeper purple/grey, charcoal or deeper olive green ... With any of these colours you could have some light charcoal accessories... Silk cushions etc.. The colours would also work with the existing wall paint. Rather like the charcoal colour and it would work with a slightly darker greyish purple too, so throws and other cushions could be also very complimentary.. :))
    ...See More

Downstairs extension layout

Q

I like the idea with the pink highlighted edge. This opens u the kitchen dining space but keeps the lounge and study separate as you wanted. I would add bifold doors if possible along the back wall of the dining room to make it feel even bigger. Hope this helps
    ...See More

Living room extension

Q

Plans of extension
    ...See More

should I use same tile on floor and walls in bathroom?

Q

adding a small bathroom extension to garage. 5ft wide and 12 ft long. Wet room on the end wall, whb in the middle and toilet on the other end wall. I would like to have a slate tile on the floor and walls of the wet room section. Should I tile the entire room floor in the slate too?
    ...See More
  • milfordmaid

Jeez - I'm gobsmacked that a wall of that height was allowed!

Agree with Ensign + Matthew - recheck the planning permission.

With regard to decorating the wall - it is your neighbours property and not yours. You may find that you are technically not allowed to interfere with the wall in anyway without their permission including painting it ... Speak to Citizens Advice first before you do anything thing to the wall.

But more importantly RECHECK the planning permission that was granted (not what was applied for).

Good luck !!

• Jonathan
    I think the height of the wall is completely appropriate.... They could have built a two storey extension.
    By having this parapet wall you don't have to worry about gutters in your side.
    I say get some pots will tall plants to soften the look.
  • minnie101

Hi. You could try something along these lines if you get permission from your neighbour. I would definitely include the mirror but obviously the beds couldn't be as deep and I would suggest not so high as it may feel oppressive outside the door so would find some suitable plants/trees that could thrive in such a space.

• bft8
    Thanks all. It's finished in monocouche so we can't paint over it. Also, no planning required unfortunately. The wall was built to optimise width and not have gutter coming over onto our side.
  • Tani H-S
    Our neighbours did the same with our old house. Their wall was part of their property and they had to knock it down and rebuild it. It was over 1ft higher than previously which wasn't on planning and I wasn't happy due to the light aspect. However we figured it looked better than before (they had a window looking into our garden!) and we were going to sell anyway.
    V frustrating for you though with the light situation.

One thing I can suggest are fake mirrors. Online you can buy pre drilled Perspex mirrors (large as possible) and I would fix them to the wall. Surround with trellis so you can grow climbers around them.

The mirrors do buckle and end up looking like fairground wobbly ones so options are to have more screws in (we only had the basic 2 top & 2 bottom) or you can mount them on marine ply and glue them on (check with the suppliers to get the right adhesive)

Large 8x4 sheets are best cost wise as in between sizes will cost the same as they take it out of the larger sheet
  • pannacotta

I would suggest the same as minnie, using planters and plants to soften the wall. Perhaps freestanding narrow but lone planters would work well as they wont affect the wall.
    Evergreen planting would look best, bamboo, olive trees, some grasses perhaps? and some scented flowers too.
    Its a shame they didn't need planning but I think you can make it look better by adding plenty of greenery on your side.

• embzop

Although the wall is very high and takes some of your light, it does give you a very private area. I'd far rather have that than a neighbour's extension that overlooks my garden. If you can't attach anything to the wall, how about something like a trellis planter? A company called Forest do a range of different sizes and because the trellis is attached to the planter it doesn't need to be fixed to the wall.

If you look at images like the one below, it is a small enclosed space but once there is some garden furniture and plants, it looks like a lovely place for an drink or meal.

[houzz=https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/garden-design-crystal-palace-south-london-6-mediterranean-patio-london-phvw-vp~15943061]

colourhappy

I would build a very shallow wall of railways sleepers and plant with bamboo. Put uplighters in low down and it could look great.

• benburnett
    That wall could be your new best thing. Render a wall for a flower bed. Drill and put stainless steel wire trellising up. Grow Ivy, Clematis, Climbing Hydrangea, Jasmine. You could still even put two mirrors up and train plants around them. Or even a small water pond once the wall is built and have water lilies. Whatever you do I'm sure you could come to love that wall and even if it is bigger than what was passed it would be likely they could apply for retrospective planning permission and the work would pass. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do.
  • Catherine Hounslow

It looks like its been built about a foot higher than is permissible. You could turn it to your advantage and have a wall of lovely plants either trained along the wall from the lawn area or in pots .A mirror would help with reflecting light and also white flowered plants or variegated leaved plants .

• Rob

Its permitted development if its in England, 4m from the ground is the maximum for parapet walls.

You could put two posts to the same height at either end of the new wall and between them stretch cable railings into pre-drilled holes. Then grow vines / climbers up those etc. That will soften it completely and means that you have not done anything invasive to the neighbour's wall.

• crowningfashion

Why not invite the local planning officer around and ask him if the wall is allowed? Explain that it blocks your light and would you be able to ask the neighbours to reduce the height in line with their roof. Or maybe explain the problem to the neighbours and ask if you could fund the lowering of the wall? It may well be legal because you did not object when you were notified by the council and it could be far enough away from your windows to be classed as not a problem.

• seniordiva
    The rules may have changed but when we built our extension the wall adjoining our neighbour had to be completely within our own boundary. It looks as if your neighbour has continued along the party wall and therefore half the depth of the wall is on your land. It might be worth getting a chartered building surveyor to check it out as otherwise it may cause difficulties when either you or your neighbour come to sell. If I'm wrong about this maybe a professional on here could correct me.
    Other than that I think you should make the best of the little private courtyard it has afforded you by using plants in pots and climbers to soften the wall.
  • ghesp

Despite the fact this looks ridiculous and must have breached planning permission somehow, you could make this look awesome.

How about putting 2 raise flower beds with a floating bench inbetween? You could then put bamboo or other tropical plants into the flower beds, and install wall lighting up the wall.

Something like:

Creative Outdoor Solutions · More Info

Creative Outdoor Solutions · More Info

Ace Your Space

It might be that the extnesion itself would still take a lot of light, even if the wall was lower. You don't say which way the house is facing. This would help to see which direction the light is coming from and how it can be bounced into your kitchen.
    There have been some terrific suggestions given for how to turn this into a good thing but the patio area seems a bit small if you start building raised beds. How big is the rest of the garden? Could you extend some of the patio further out?

• silyab53

Not sure if you've already completed this 'project' but the 'right to light' laws are tricky and their extension may only have required building regs, though the wall still seems to me to be unnecessarily high. BUT it should be said that you MUST ensure your neighbours give permission for you to attach anything to it or paint it. Otherwise if anything goes wrong with the wall you could be held accountable, even if it's not your fault. It's also incredibly important to maintain a good relationship with them over everything!!! I know!!!

• silyab53
    last modified: 5 years ago

Me again. I agree with 'seniordiva'. The wall should be a MINIMUM of 6 inches, in old money, away from the party wall. If you decide to extend beware! Your neighbour may object to you attaching anything to his wall, leading to major tears before bedtime! Do look at the 'PARTY WALL AGREEMENT'. There are some rather large shrubs growing through the wall between my house and the next in the terrace because his builder left too small a gap. Funnily enough I can't squeeze into a 4 inch gap to cut them out Eventually my wall will split!. My neighbour is pouring weed killer on regularly, but they keep coming back, triffid-like!.