housegin

Advice on tiny odd-shape shower room, please

housegin
4 years ago

Any and all advice sought please! Is there a more functional way to layout this space and get a slightly bigger and less dated shower?

We have a most irregular shaped en-suite shower room tacked haphazardly onto our single-story home, decades ago. The overall room dimensions (if it were square, which it isn't) are 195cm by 220cm. But the wall with the basin and window were bizarrely angled to avoid relocating a drain. See plan below.

We got estimates for demolition and extending which would be amazing. But the cost is disproportionately high for the added benefit and we have other renovation priorities. So it's staying. The main bugbear is the quadrant shower which is 76cm x 76cm with a radius of 86cm. It feels cramped, is a pain to squeegee and it looks like a Starship Enterprise teleportation device.

Below the view from the doorway - there pretty much isn't another angle!

This is the current floor plan, with a heated towel rail between the door and the shower, opposite the basin and window, and a cabinet to the left of the basin.

This is for context, showing the additional door swing challenge. I am thinking that D20 into the bedroom could become a sliding door. D06 is to the garden. I don't think D21 can become a sliding door as there is a radiator between it and D06 and no obvious place to which it could be moved.

I'd go for a wetroom as it is on concrete but I am suspicious that there might be a good reason why this wasn't done last time it was renovated by previous owners. The shower drains slowly yet it is already raised.

Thanks so much for any suggestions Houzzers may have.

Comments (8)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.