niamh_mccartney

Tiling for tiny bathroom

peony grace
8 years ago
Hi. I'm putting a tiny bathroom in my tiny house. Literally the room is width of the 1500mm bath, with sink and toilet on the right when you come in the door. I had thought of going with anthracite grey / dark colour scheme so looking for tiling suggestions. I love having baths by candle light and I really want this to be a cosy retreat room with a spa-like feel. Going for wall hung ceramic sink with carpenter made ply cabinet that I might stain or paint if going with the dark scheme. Open to suggestions!!

Comments (30)

• peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The plans
  • visualizemaven
    8 years ago

Your first inclination is to go with dark grays so stick with that. Most people think small spaces can't be dark in color scheme but I have seen many successful spaces disproving that theory!

You seem to know what you want. My only suggestion would be to find tile with a reflective quality so that your candle light can bounce around!

Go for what brings you JOY!

• acm
    8 years ago

I like a gray bathroom. This one seems like it might be the half-bath version of what you're going for:

I used wallpaper here to hide an access panel -- otherwise, all gray plus some art would work as well. Go for what you like!

• peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I do like that! Although my bathroom is so small two tiles would prob cover the whole floor ;-)
  • peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Downtown penthouse · More Info
    I really like these shiny big tiles on wall?
  • PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    8 years ago

I used the tile you like in a small bath (floors & accents) with the same layout except for a shower instead of the tub. I just posted the photo for a perspective of room size. Yours would be approx. 10" wider at the tub.

• peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I love those floor tiles you used!
  • peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just found this rather cool concrete look Roche grey tile....think this would look very nice on floor if I used smaller metro-sized or herringbone ceramic tiles on the walls?!
  • visualizemaven
    8 years ago

Do you have photos of what you mean for the walls? I don't think herringbone pattern will read "spa" tho.

• peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Something like this
  • peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago

but maybe only in a strip like that behind the bath? would be too much on full wall I think?

• visualizemaven
    8 years ago

It is a beautiful application. You have good taste, trust your gut.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Just a thought. niches with lighting , mosaics & glass shelves. or eliminate the lighting as you enjoy the candles. I'm not a designer, just a tile guy:)

Custom Shower Manchester · More Info

• peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Ok so I spent a while in a tile shop today and the guy made a suggestion of using these floor tiles on the wall but horizontally and I love it!! Think that's my decision made unless one of you guys talk me out of it. I got offered a free cast iron bath today too which I plan to resurface using a dark matte slate grey colour for the exterior body or I might go with another colour.....what do you think??
  • visualizemaven
    8 years ago

Gorgeous. Honestly I don't know why you need "us"! LOL

I think you just need validation and you definitely get it from me!

• peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks but that's too kind! All credit must go to the tiles guy as it was his idea....I went in there looking for slate!!
  • visualizemaven
    8 years ago

okay but you do know what excites you and truly, that is the "battle" for most!

• peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I'm back! Aah! More tiles, more confusion. Spent time in another tile shop.

Idea one: What do you think about these dark grey ones on floor? Was thinking then to use the patterned one as a feature around the bath tub and I'm undecided about possibly a metro tile in a coffee or light sandy colour (if doing the feature) vs white metro for splash back / rest of room. Budget constraints are saying paint the walls and only use tiling around bath and sink!

Idea two: the patterned tiles on the floor with the metro in white or a light coffee / sandy colour around the tub and sink with walls painted similar colour (some ideas attached)

Idea three: gray floor tiles, white metro tiles (simple, modern, but maybe a bit too safe/boring)
  • indybullterrier
    8 years ago
    I love the 2" black marble hex tiles in my tiny powder room!
  • peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I think my builder would murder me
    If I picked small
    Tiles hee hee! He's already doing me All the favours :D I do like those tiles though o saw similar ones in grey and it's tempting. (Yes I'm obsessed with grey)
  • peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    So the patterned and grey option is 50% cheaper than the bleached wood option....I'm thinking to go with the cheaper option. But I do loveeeee the bleached ones. As the bathroom is so teeny tiny maybe the patterned ones will add interest too, to an underwhelming space!
  • indybullterrier
    8 years ago
    Speaking of a grey obsession, what about 5" grey marble hex?! :)
    peony grace thanked indybullterrier
  • peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago

yes those do look fantastic also!

• Alena Rezvanova
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi! What was your final decision? I am also working on my tiny WC and came to the following conclusions (after 2 months spent in tile shops, looking through houzz and pinterest photos).

The tiles in small spaces:

1. Should reflect. The space should not be matt and absorb the light. The glazed tile reflects the objects like a mirror and creates depth.

2. Should not be oversized. When you like the big tiles on the photo you posted - just adore them at the picture. they will not go to a tine space. Compare the size of the bathroom and the size of the tile. Try to imagine the pattern.

3. Don't be mislead by professional designs and photos (like the ones you posted and you like). Most of them are the bathrooms which are really huge in size. So the tiles that are on the picture will not go for your project.

1. You want a small SPA oasis? Forget about concrete and metal look and all the things like that. I took a sample of concrete tile in my bath... really you feel uncomfortable, when you step on the concrete barefoot, Though I have floor heating , I wouldn't go barefoot. Its concrete!:))) Concrete is good for a big loft or industrial design, I think.

5. For a SPA - look I would opt either for the mosaic (which is classical for SPA, but be careful with that. May be monochromatic or achromatic) or wood optic tiles combined with warm white tones.

6. Much color in small bathrooms is not a good option. It is better to add it with accessories. Moreover you can change the look just by replacing your turqoise towels by grey ones. You can add dynamics only by choosing not a typical size of the white tile and making an interesting pattern. For example, for my tiny WC i have 25x75 cm tiles and will put them in a brick wall style.

What I have chosen for my tiny WC is a wood optic (very light) tile for the floor and white tiles for the walls. They will cover the wall by 120 cm. The rest of the wall will be covered with wallpaper (navy blue or dark gray). Or may be just painted.

Wish you good luck!

• peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Alena thanks so much for the tips and ideas! They all make sense! Yes I was looking st wood today in fact but the thing is I don't think it will go with my tub! Which is a roll top cast iron. I think I may keep it simple and just go with mid/light grey colour tiles on the floor and have either white or a green light metro tile in a gloss on the walls (halfway) and then that leaves the option to paint the rest of the room to change the colour scheme as you have suggested, or wallpaper etc. I am excited to see your bathroom when it is finished! Please come back and share photos and I will do the same. I am going to a tiles superstore on Saturday to decide! Good luck!
  • peony grace
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The tub...
  • acm
    8 years ago

Liked the tiles from the first tile shop.

(Never Go To A Second Tile Shop! :)

• Alena Rezvanova
    8 years ago

Dear Niamh! Thanks a lot. Sure I will send the photos as soon as my project is over. From my experience some words about gray. Don't choose the matt gray or concrete. It is really not for the small home bath. I was also first googling - "best hotel bathroom designs " or smth like that:) Fool I am:) they are all gorgeous but you just come for a couple of days there. And they should provide you some outstanding experiences. But it is home. And you should build an interior, in which you will be able to live for a good bunch of years:) There are interesting gray tiles with injections of other color. Could be, but still be careful. The tub is very - very nice ! For your tube I would opt for the glossy tile in soft beige /cream color with a stone structure. or it can be sand imitation also. It is always better to bring samples home. At least you will see how it looks like at site. I ve tried dozens of tiles... really. And what I have seen and adored at many pictures on Houzz didn't fit my bath at all!

Your idea with the walls is very good. Light color on the walls halfway and then you can go for the darker wallpaper pattern. Could be diamond-shape or moroccan.

Look forward to see the results of your work!:)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.