gillianmcon

Need some ideas for my bathroom

gillianmcon

I am looking to renovate my bathroom and am looking for some ideas, I am not against moving things around but am not sure what the new layout could be. My pet peeves at the moment are the lack of vanity space, I cant put a cabinet in where the sink is currently. The hot press is difficult to access - the doors bump off the sink, the toilet requires a swivel manoeuvre to get into it and the shower is off centre so the water hits you at an angle rather than straight on, very annoying having one half of my hair rinsed! the Hot press is half height as it sits over the stairs so no option to enlarge it or move it.

• Tom Flanagan

This looks like it could be a great project! I can't offer too much on the layout front but have you thought about painting the walls a new colour and maybe adding some mosaic tiles or tiling for the shower? Could freshen things up!

gillianmcon thanked Tom Flanagan
  • Jonathan
    Actually this is quite easy.
    Make the door into the hot press smaller- if it is higher up it won't hit the basin.
    I would measure to see if there is enough room to turn the wc so the cistern is next to the basin.
    I would swap the basin for a vanity with drawers down to the floor.
    I should measure the room up to the door and see if you can fit in a p-shaped shower bath
    gillianmcon thanked Jonathan
    East Kent Eco
    If you have space for the shortest p shaped bath along the current bath wall plus a small close coupled or back to wall toilet with a small vanity unit to house the washbasin then that might all work. if you have a decent plumber you could ask them to rearrange the layout along that wall the waste may be awkward but not insurmountable but ensure they use decent fittings and retain access to the under bath area so that someone larger than a mouse can access the plumbing in case of emergency! We recently reworked a tiny bathroom by relocating the toilet and hiding the waste into a deeper than average skirting which provided the client with useful shelf and a more workable layout. Hope that helps but choose your plumber and suppliers wisely!
    gillianmcon thanked East Kent Eco
  • gillianmcon

Thanks Tom, believe me the candy floss walls and the mismatched tiles are in my sights also! For now I am concentrating on the functionality and layout, I have some off white tiles and a pale blue picked and am toying with the idea of a wooden effect floor or a sandy coloured tile - it will be a beachy colour scheme when I finish.

• gillianmcon

Thanks Jonathondb1972

Some interesting ideas there, I hadn't thought about shortening the opening to the hot press - I will give it some thought, I'm not sure if I want to create a well in the bottom for junk to gather though, and raising the floor of the cupboard seems an unnecessary expense. I did consider a roll up door which would mean the opening would be easier to access, but any doors like that I have found are ugly office cabinet type doors.

With regards to turning the toilet 90 degrees I'm not sure if that would give me any extra space and I think the access would be worse, knees would bump off the bath and with the addition of a vanity unit/drawers and inlaid sink it would be closed in on 3.5 sides, even more of a manoeuvre to get in and a nightmare to clean around, but I appreciate the suggestion and will check the measurements and see if it could work.

• gillianmcon

East Kent Eco - again thank you for your input.

As a pro I wonder if you could offer your thoughts on a couple of scenarios

1 - Leave bath where it is - what would be involved in moving the shower 4-6 inches to the centre of the bath? I did consider the P shaped bath and will consider your suggestion for a shorter bath to allow room for the toilet, but I currently had to put in a door stop to protect the shower door from the entrance door handle and I would be concerned about a rounded door being even closer.

If I left the bath where it is I have a couple of options, turning the toilet and cistern 90 degrees to the adjoining wall - see above for the considerations there, or I have also considered switching the toilet and sink. I would put the sink facing the wall where the cistern currently is have a large-ish vanity from the base of the bath to the wall, and the if the toilet was where the sink is it would not interfere with the doors for the hot press as the seat would be considerably lower than the sink is currently thus giving me the better access I want. In this scenario the main issue for me would be the toilet would be facing the entrance door, a bit unsightly but if it gave me the space I want I think I could live with the compromise.

2 - A bit more involved, but I have also considered moving the bath sideways along the short length of the room, shower end over the space where the cistern is currently and moving the sink and toilet to the space where the bath is currently. I think this would allow me room for a vanity and maybe also a tall storage cupboard for the towels and linens currently in the hot press. The obvious concern with this is the shower spray in the direction of the hot press, if I got the storage I needed elsewhere in the bathroom I wouldn't be concerned about those getting wet, but would want to ensure I don't end up with a leak over the stairs. Access would also be an issue if repairs were required for the shower pump or the hot water system. You would have to step into the bath to gain access. Is there a solution to waterproof the cupboard?

Feioi

Here's another suggestion!

You could move the toilet to the current basin position - the doors may still knock against the cistern but this is smaller than the basin so you can open it wider.

Move the bath to the opposite end of the room so the shower end is on the wall where your loo roll holder is (if plumbing allows). Alternatively, would you consider replacing the bath with a shower?

Put the basin next to the bath so it's on your right when you enter the room.

Rehang the door so that it opens outwards

Hope that helps, look forward to seeing what you do with the space..

gillianmcon thanked Feioi
    East Kent Eco
    Hi option 2 was a thought I had too and would be more aesthetically pleasing, if you put your pump in at high level in the top of the cupboard that won't be too awful we have worked in a similar bathroom before just make sure you have strong piece of wood to stand onto the bath, if you chip out along the walls to ensure a snug fit for the bath into the opposite corner which is better from a sealing point of view that will give you more room at the cupboard end for boxing in and perhaps tiling on top. You should be far enough away from the cupboard to not be overly concerned with shower spray! If you go for this ensure the plumber uses isolating flexi hoses under the bath to the taps these are a cheap but fail safe option for turning the water off to the taps and make life much easier. We tend to use a lot of isolation points as this saves having to drain your whole water system down in case of plumbing emergency or simply repairing taps etc!
    Hope that helps
    gillianmcon thanked East Kent Eco
  • Jonathan
    http://houzz.com/photos/7802977

Consider a corner wc
    gillianmcon thanked Jonathan
  • gillianmcon

Thank you everyone. I have a plumber coming next week to look at the plumbing and help me decide, cost and the amount of work will also play a part here.

I am also looking at solar panels for the hot water so have someone coming to look at that also. Will let you all know what I decide.

• milfordmaid

@victoria - probably best lay-out. Also shelving in the left side of hot press. Right hand hot press door can de modelled to match left door but only half -open like a half-hatch front door. Remove bath + have large shower area? Or we have half-length bath with shower. Can soak away very tired legs, wash cars * dogs ... Not for long lazy body soak tho. Great little bathroom.

• mrshste

Have you considered a corner toilet? Or a bath like this? We're getting this Nano bath this week for our tiny bathroom.

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/nano-short-bath---left-hand---420-x-1400mm-153711