charlie_mcfadden

1930s Bedroom Fireplace - Advice needed

Charlie Mcfadden
4 years ago

Hi folks!

I have been redecorating my bedroom, and decided to open the boarded-up fireplace. What I found behind was a fairly dilapidated 1930s fireplace, and now I'm unsure of what to do with it.

I was told by the previous owner that there had been a gas fire in there, but it was removed some time ago. The chimney is also still open. I don't really have any interest in using it as an actual fireplace, or adding in some kind of electric heater, so this was more to get some suggestions or ideas on how to make it more aesthetically pleasing. (I'm painting the room grey, but haven't decided on any additional colours for curtains/lampshade etc.)

If possible, I'd like to just re-tile it, or perhaps remove the tiles and paint it, leaving the metal (iron?) exposed. As you can see from the photo, there appears to be some "backing" missing from the right-hand side where the tiles are absent. What is that stuff called, and how do I re-apply it? (Assuming I removed all of the tiles and wanted to tile the whole thing again)

Anyway, if you could give me any tips or suggestions that would be much appreciated!

I've attached two pictures, the first is of my fireplace (in it's current state), and the second is a photo of one of my neighbors' fireplace, which I believe is exactly the same (albeit in better condition).

Comments (12)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.