emmiedesign

Building a 'fake' chimney breast

Emmie Butler
10 years ago
Hi All!

I am currently in the middle of designing a 'fake' chimney breast for my electric fireplace. I want to make this the focal point of the room by creating shelving above for a TV instead of mounting the tv to the wall. This is also an easier way of concealing wires rather than running them through my wall. I also intend on hiding the tv behind a large piece of artwork.

The piece will not be attached to the wall and will be freestanding as I don't want to make any structural changes to my home.

My issue is this: I have never attempted to custom build anything by myself. I'll be getting my dad and husband to work together on building this as I need to keep costs low. I'll then wallpaper the unit to really make it stand out.

Has anyone else ever tried something like this? Does anyone have any tips/advice?

I've attached a (terrible) picture of my fire suite to help.

Comments (6)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.