mutley_av

Design ideas for a bungalow

mutley_av
2 December, 2014
We recently purchased a large bungalow on 1 acre of land in a rural setting which needs to be re-designed and modernised. Its previous owners built a conservatory, converted the attic and garage bringing the size of the bungalow up to c.3700sq but the layout and flow of the house doesn’t work. The kitchen and bedrooms are too small and the conservatory is too big. We'd like to do the following:
1. Re-design the layout of the entire bungalow to improve the flow
2.Keep 4 bedrooms but Increase their size and make at least 2 of them ensuite.
3. Increase the size of the kitchen and utility room
4.Make the hallway brighter
5.Make the conservatory smaller
6. Have the ktichen, dining room and sitting room open plan.
Anybody got any suggestions?

Lisa's Kitchen Design Company
    Hi there - what a gorgeous place!! with lots of potential... you need to take advice from a really good interior designer / space planner who has a lot of experience in this area. When you have the room layouts, you can use a independent kitchen designer like myself to do you a design for that area. Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help
    mutley_av thanked Lisa's Kitchen Design Company
  • mutley_av
    We are hoping to talk to some architects so I just wanted to get some ideas first. Never really thought of an interior designer or space planner. Thanks for the advice!
    Lisa's Kitchen Design Company
    Architects are great, but when it comes to the different areas you need to consider those people who are experienced i.e. a doorway or window can stop you from having the layout you want in your kitchen or bathroom etc..
    Lisa's Kitchen Design Company
    Just having a look at the layout - and I am by no means an expert...it seems to me that the conservatory is in the wrong place off the bedrooms! I would be tempted to turn the house around and have the lounge on the playroom office side and then extend the kitchen into the lovely lower lounge area. Don't forget that kitchens don't have to be overpowering and massive. I like the idea of having two kitchen area's - one for the dirty stuff (prep work etc..) and then a main kitchen for the entertaining side....
    OnePlan
    By the time you've faffed about with existing stuff moving /installing new plumbing etc on a project this size - you will more than likely find it would have been easier to simply flatten it and start completely anew !
    OnePlan
    But ... If you keep it this might be a good starting point !?!
    mutley_av thanked OnePlan
  • mutley_av
    Thanks for the suggestions OnePlan. Yeah we did consider knocking it down and starting from scratch but we're hoping we won't have to do that and that we can leverage off what's already there. We are thinking of having the bedrooms where you have them but having 4 of them there as that area is massive. Ideally the living area should be to the back and right hand side of the house as that area gets most of the sunlight. Also the conservatory is too big so we would like to incorporate it into the rest of the house if possible. Thanks again. If you have any further thoughts or ideas let me know. Cheers
    OnePlan
    If you are going to do this - make sure the bedrooms have plenty of wardrobe space etc - don't scrimp ! Ideally every woman wants at least double the wardrobe space she already has !! And a walk-in wardrobe / dressing room is something that would earn any developer brownie points !! So if you have the space ... Use it well !! Breakfast areas in morning sunshine work well and evening sun in the lounge is good - inside outside fireplaces can work really well and everybody needs storage for summer /winter stuff (ski /scuba /suitcases etc ) so worth adding in storage somewhere accessible (like utility room ) for that sort of gear too ! This is an awesome opportunity for you ! Have fun !!!
  • Kayleigh Clark

How about something like this? With Sun tunnels in the hallway.

Solatube UK

Issue number 4. Making the hallway brighter.

Have you considered Solatube Daylighting Systems?
    We are the world's leading brand and the originators of the product concept in the tubular daylighting systems field still after 25 years.
    Your project is something our team deals with on a daily basis so we could certainly help with your enquiry, I'd recommend taking a look at our profile or better yet, our website www.solatube.co.uk and hopefully we can be of some assistance.

Daniel at Solatube UK