sarahdschoen

Small kitchen layout advice

Sarah
5 years ago

Hi there, my husband and I are embarking on a self-build and we're in the early stages - have sketches but not formal drawings from our architect. This is going to be a small starting point because we have a small budget, with plans for extension in the 5-10 year range. The site is in a rural part of Wicklow, so there's no traffic as such (I have seen this as a consideration in other posts :).

The question I have is around the size of the kitchen, which you can see in the photo below. The house is on a two-level site, so the main entrance will be through a lower level, under the living area, and up through the stairs in the bottom right corner (marked Down). The kitchen is only 2x4m and I'm not even sure it really qualifies as "galley".

I am looking for some guidance as to the placement of our appliances. We'd really like to have big fridge/freezer (XX in the drawing) and dishwasher (not currently in the drawing) in there (in addition to your standard hob/oven/sink). There is a dotted line for counter or island against the wall with the stove, but we think we probably won't have space for that in the current dimensions.

There is an option to extend the entire house by 0.5-1m out towards the deck (make it "longer" but keep it the same width), and we'd likely give all of those gains to the kitchen - kind of stretch the inside of the house. However, this would really strain the budget and we may not be able to swing it.

Do you think we can make do with the kitchen at the current size and have all those appliances? How would you suggest we lay them out?

Thanks so much for you advice! Seems like the people on this site really have a wealth of knowledge :).

Comment

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.