woodysteph

Kitchen re-decoration

woodysteph
We are redoing our kitchen from scratch and I need ideas on how to go about it, particularly when it comes to storage as you can see (photos were taken at a particularly messy time after getting the shopping done). I want some original ideas if possible, especially re how to do presses/cupboards). We have 2young children in the house so have lots of things to do with them in the kitchen. Any ideas please?

• apple_pie_order
    I suggest you attach your pictures to this post and delete your other post. Posts with photos get more responses.

Have you settled on a budget?
  • woodysteph
    Can you see the photos and my comments now??
  • apple_pie_order
    The photos are fine on the other post. Maybe you could delete this thread and keep the other one.
  • apple_pie_order
    No photos on this post, to answer your question.
    Scott Design, Inc.
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Still no pics
  • woodysteph
    Here are the photos
  • woodysteph
    Our budget is €6-7000 btw
  • apple_pie_order
    I can see the photos now. Yes, I see that you need more storage. By eye estimate, you have twice as much stuff as you have space for it in the kitchen, assuming all cupboards are already full.

Can you upload a floor plan? Ikea's online software is good.

Where is the refrigerator?

If you cannot enlarge the kitchen, you may want to use cabinets that go all the way to the ceiling. All drawers, no shelves in base cabinets make things a lot more reachable. Do you have room for storage somewhere else? Things like rarely-used serving dishes, wine bottles, extra plastic containers, shopping bags, water bottles can all go somewhere else.

Which items do you think your budget will cover? Cabinets, tile, plumbing, electrical, lighting, flooring? I don't know what country you are in, so I have no idea what your budget will cover.
  • woodysteph
    Yes I'd say we need about twice as much storage. Any ideas how to go about it?
  • woodysteph
    We were thinking of putting wall to wall, floor to ceiling cabinets on wall opposite cooker. €6000 will probably just cover furniture.
    Fridge is in the dining room in the next room, there is no room for it here as it's too big. Not ideal but can't do it any other way and we've sort of gotten used to it like that now
  • woodysteph
    Oh and I'll try the ikea software
  • apple_pie_order
    Thanks for the explanation. Try a wall that is drawers up to waist high, cupboards above that. YOu can add pull-out cutting boards at waist height so that you can put things there when unpacking groceries and putting things away in the cabinets and drawers:
    Danville residence · More Info

Drawers will help but they will not increase storage space by a factor of two. You could also add drawers where the microwave is now and continue to keep the microwave on top.

Here is another wall of wood cabinets:

Barcelona House · More Info

Although it will not solve your storage problem, I recommend that you pull everything out of the cabinets and drawers, one drawer or shelf at a time. Be flexible about storing things elsewhere while the children are very small. Or discarding "aspirational cooking" implements (egg slicers, orange zesters, martini shakers. lobster-shaped gelatin molds) that just haven't been used in years.

Families with children tend to accumulate an enormous amount of plastic stuff. In six months or a year, they will need different plastic stuff!
  • woodysteph
    Thanks a lot, all helpful comments.
    I'm sure there are going to be quite a few things to throw out once we move everything but I have only recently cleared things out of the cabinets to make room inside; actually I do that on quite a regular basis.

What do you think of the cabinets, leave them open or put doors on them?
  • kitasei
    OMG don't even think about open shelves! You will have a new problem - washing grease caked with dust from things you never even used!
  • woodysteph
    Good morning again everyone. Went to sleep dreaming "kitchen".
    What do you think of floor to ceiling cabinets? Do you think it would make the kitchen feel smaller?
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.