pastelgirl01

Half side return?

pastelgirl01
5 years ago

Hi everyone,

We're buying a Victorian terrace with the traditional L-shape, and we are thinking about doing a side extension. The kitchen is 3m wide x 4.5m long currently, and it has bifold doors at the end, leading to the garden. At the moment, there isn't really any space to even put a dining table into the kitchen, I don't think. The units run all along one wall and half way down the second wall, leaving space only for a small bistro table at the end next to the door.

What does everyone think of a "half" side return? The idea would be to fill in the side gap, but only half way. The gap is 2m wide and 4.5m long, so perhaps we'd fill in 2-2.5m length. The reason is that I'm worried of creating a tunnel effect/claustrophobic feeling by doing a full side extension, the garden isn't particularly big and it would be great to keep a bit of outdoor space, while at the same time creating a flow connection between the living/dining area and the kitchen. I don't want to make the whole thing confused, though. Not sure what one would do with this inbetween space.

I would also be up for options that don't require a side return - perhaps a clever rejigging of the kitchen layout to fit a seating area?

Houzzers, please help!

Pastelgirl

Comments (7)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.