anouskatamonydesigns

Before & After- Contemporary Kitchen in Barnes Period Home

Beautiful Barnes- Contemporary Space in a Period Home · More Info

Beautiful Barnes- Contemporary Space in a Period Home · More Info

When I first met the owners of this Victorian house in Barnes the kitchen and dining room on the lower ground floor were their main concern.

Their key gripes were;

1. the awkward layout i.e. a narrow galley kitchen at the back of the house with an L shaped run cutting the space in two and dividing the kitchen from the dining area.
  2. a lack of natural light and an inadequate lighting plan.
  3. a dated traditional kitchen which was the opposite of the clean lined, contemporary kitchen they desired.
  4. its unimaginative plainness!

SOLUTIONS

1. we worked with a structural engineer to open up the space and remove the chimney breasts along the external wall. The next thing we did was reorganise the layout, switching the kitchen to the front of the house and placing the dining space at the back next to the patio doors that lead onto the garden. This rejig meant there was enough room to fit a decent sized island and breakfast bar in the kitchen area.
  2. we created layered lighting, introducing a mixture of dimmable spotlights and pendants, as well as, undercounter lighting for optimum versatility and ambience.
  3. we installed a beautiful custom German kitchen, specially designed around a number of restrictions, including limited floor-to-ceiling height, an immovable structural beam and the front window casing.
  4. keen to keep things minimal but not plain, we specified custom copper cladding for behind the hob and installed playful ceramic tiles for a dash of pattern and colour.

Comments (2)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.