marcommom

My backsplash decision - maybe?

marcommom
6 years ago

Hi - I've been here a few times as I wrangle with a decision about my new backslash. I have cosmic black granite, white appliances (will eventually change to stainless but I do like white) and simple, light, natural maple cabinets and floors with brushed stainless accents.

White subway tile was often mentioned so I tried some out and I just don't love the starkness. The granite is shiny so I really feel like a matte finish makes sense. I found Asian Statuary on Tilebar, which is an asian version of white carrera marble, and I like the softness of the pattern that seems to me not to compete with the movement of the granite. But I could be dreadfully wrong.

I've attached photos of a finished (and nicer) kitchen I found online with the combo. What say you, design experts? And, my kitchen is airy but not huge - like 10 x 12 - I like the 2x8 brushed matte sizes and there is a larger honed size, but defer to you and can always find some white marble locally I guess.

I don't like grout lines. Clean and smooth. And thank you!

Comments (127)

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Great that you are getting excited now as that means you are getting closer to "when I see it I'll just know" and that we didn't confuse you :).

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I finally got the Tilebar samples. Anything jump out? L-r halcyon 3D brick recycled glass, 3 loft blue grey polished glass, nabi sprig arctic blue. On counter Mangata glacial, and paradise sky blue circles.

So hard to decide! Thank you!
  • Related Discussions

Need help picking backsplash tiles and wall paint colours

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you for your suggestions and ideas! I love some of the more daring/colourful ideas, but I don't think I'm, personally, bold enough to go with such a contemporary look. I'm going to stick to a traditional/modern style and use large (4" x 8") white subway tiles and dark grey grout. I'm thinking of using a dark grey paint around the kitchen walls and then a lighter shade around the rest of the room, with maybe the dark grey on the wall behind the TV too. Will be a few more weeks before that's all done, but I'll post a picture when I eventually get there. Thanks again!
    ...See More

Kitchen wall , dresser and radiator same color or not ?

Q

Comments (1)
    Try posting a comment and attach some images.
    ...See More

Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room

Q

Comments (592)
    Hi ...Zaz I am not sure what went on here in Houzz .... While I have been away ..(sneezing coughing sweating) Whatever it was Move on from it !! as best you can ... Otherwise these things eat away at you ... And being on a downer that's not good for anyone ..........including you .... You have a Talent truly you do Lots see it ...... Even if you can't ....... So Put it toooooo good use If not for yourself ........ Then for others so they might enjoy it Seeing others smile from Something you have done Is gift.... I know I love toooooo Give that gift of a smile ..... Be it from writing or resisting my Poems Playing my little ukuele Painting So dust yourself off there's work toooooooo be done :@) Get your a@£& In that kitchen ... Today is the start of a new and better year ...... Of which only You Can make happen !!
    ...See More

Changing kitchen

Q

Comments (11)
    Agree about the white door ...along with the floor ... Not sure .....if you are changing the lampshade .....light fitting ..... Simply ...things Like just changing cabinet handles ... changes a look .... Love the backslash ...yes really !!!! You.... (as already said ) Could just change the worktops ... Everything I guess is ..... Depending on your budget €€€€€€ But why .....change tooooo much ...... if it's not broken !!!! As the saying goes ... If it's not broke don't fix it ...... A house evoles into a Home overtime ... Maybe ... Live with it for a while .. You have a fab space !!!! Start making happy memories ...bake a cake Enjoy your new home Good luck .....
    ...See More
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Don't know why, I'm liking the one that is not leaning against the wall that is light in color. can you stand it up so we can better see it!

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Sure thing. These are two from the first batch from Tilebar. The manganta glacial icicle planks and the Asian statuary which is a v softly patterned marble.
  • marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Closeup
  • Porter Edun
    6 years ago

I like both of them. I'm leaning a bit more toward the Asian statuary... Do you have under cabinet lighting? I chimed in way back when you first started... fell in love with one of Beth's more matte blue tones which I don't see in your mix above of blues.

This was it way back up in the post.

I do like the Asian Statuary tile and the Manganta glacial. If you lean white and after following this it appears you do?? It's a toss up to me. I feel the glacial may be too high shine though yet like the uneven pattern with the counter top. I do like it, but can't see it in person, so that's my 2 cents :)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

The very close up of the Manganta glacial looks very pretty with the counters after looking again... just not sure how much reflection you want.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You are welcome to come here in person as are Ted and Beth and anyone else who has helped/added to my total confusion lol! I do have two of the lighter toned blues in there, the halcyon on the left and a similar one in penny tile that I didn't have in the pic, no idea why I left it out! I started with the soft marble/asian statuary and then we went into the blues.

OMG all of you please come over. I'll cook!

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Too funny... I think you need to listen to your gut and go with a color you lean toward as long as it works. Why I feel you prefer a white tone? I just think you do. Not a crystal ball, not a mind reader... I think the situation turned blue when so many white options were posted and? I just go home from Fairfield, CT a week ago to see my brother... no plans to go back for a while!

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Rather than looking at them all at once what I recommend is that you grab 2 blue samples first (any of them). Put the others aside. What one do you like the best of the two? Then get rid of the one you didn't pick. Take another blue from the pile and put it with the last one you picked and eliminate the one you don't like. Go through them until you have gone through all the blue and have one blue one left. Then take one of the whites and put it with the last blue one you picked and decided which one of those you like better. Then take the last white one and put it with your last selection. See if this method works for you for eliminating all but one or perhaps at least a few.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I'll give that a try, Ted. I am definitely liking the glass one Porter likes, which I've had for a while, but I do love the blue ones I got too. I will report back! Thank you!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

all of those blues are so pretty. I'm leaning towards a larger format rather than the little squares or the small bars. I also like the statuary. don't know about the textured glacial one. color is ok, I'm just not feeling the ripples.

since you see the entire space with all of your other decor, you are a better judge of what you like. For instance, if you had a blue couch or blue rug, or blue wall, then the blues would fit in nicely. White is going to go, no matter what. It just boils down to what you want to look at. what if you painted the wall that blue tile color just to see if you like it??? I don't know, just throwing out something to help! lol.

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    6 years ago

#1 looks good from your tilebar samples.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

What about the subway tile sized blue with a strip of the icicles going across? Am I crazy?

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

I think it would be too busy with your granite.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    I have a new favorite you might like. I will post in a minute. Can't do from my iPad. Bbl
    marcommom thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

With your granite, I think you need to stick with whites. Take a look at this Madison Nacar by Porcelanosa. It is a showstopper! Here is a photo of a kitchen done with it, and another poster here just used it as well and loves it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Broadview Road Home · More Info
    Here it is installed. It is by Porcelanosa. It comes in large sheets so grout lines are invisible. Sparkles and brings great interest.

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    6 years ago

marcommon- Here is a bathroom that we did in a large project in San Diego (yes I understand that it is not a backsplash) but wanted you to see a crystal tile (think of it as your icicle) against a porcelain wave tile. Having a small interesting detail is NOT crazy. It adds interest to a large sea of white (which would be your kitchen cabinets).

I am of the opinion that adding a color to a large sea of white is not robbing from the simplicity of a "white kitchen" but making a white kitchen more interesting.

But when all is said and done, it is YOUR kitchen, you have to live with it and pay for it. It should reflect what rings your chimes, not any of us.

Santa Monica Remodel · More Info

Santa Monica Remodel · More Info

• tedbixby
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Design Intervention- the OP doesn't have white cabinets and she has a much stronger (black and white) granite than the softer counter tops you show so it doesn't give the same "feel."

• PRO
    Design Intervention
    6 years ago

Ted-thanks for the correction. The posts had gotten to be so many and I pop in only occasionally I lost track. Thanks for the correction. I'll leave it to all of you that have greater time and focus! I wish her much luck and hope that her project is all she hopes and dreams of.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I sincerely appreciate how much you all have hung in here with me! It's like giving birth. Well, no, that was different
    Blue glass subway tile or icicles or original soft matte marble? Are those my final 3?
    Thank you so much!
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

I would go very light similar to the veining in your granite and let the granite be the star. Too much will create confusion and you can always add blue accessories and when you tire of blue, you could go red, or yellow, so I would keep my options open. But make yourself happy first and foremost!

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

marcommon- is the "3" what you have narrowed it down to now?

• Pool Habit
    6 years ago

Marble.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ha I don't know what makes me happy. I have fear of commitment.

So yes, three finalists, um, four - should I start a new thread to get more votes?

Thank you again, so very very much.

http://tilebar.com/roman-collection-brisk-blue-2x8-glass-tile.html

http://tilebar.com/loft-blue-gray-frosted-3x6-glass-tile.html

http://tilebar.com/asian-statuary-3x6-marble-tile.html (or 4 x 12?)(or similar marble - would need to be specially sealed, right)?

http://tilebar.com/mangata-glacial-icicle-planks-glass-tile.html

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

If you go blue, I think the 2x8 brisk-blue the best, but I fear commiting to such a dominate color and with your granite, it is a big step. Your granite is warm and blue is a cool color. Isn't there any you like that are in the "bone" color? Bone would be best with your elements IMO.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@flo, would the soft marble be considered bone?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

You could get personality with the tile layout. Beth had posted some whites in a herringbone pattern and with a light gray grout that would be all the "action" you would need and it would have good movement without being overpowering and create a great combo with your gorgeous countertop. Go back and rethink that look.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

No the soft marble is more white. The problem with the soft marble is too much variation will be in that tile for your granite. I can't tell if your granite has white veining or creamy. Follow that lead. If it looks more white than beige/cream, then do white tile, if it goes cream then go "bone". Bone is a white with just a touch of beige but not much. With your cabinets being golden, I think you would be best with white or bone, again, depending on that veining in your granite.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The veining is white with translucent neutral tan/beige areas. Working from home right now, I have a piece of white paper (many, actually) on the counter and many areas of the veining match. It looks a lot like my first post, second photo.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Just understand that the "soft marble" which is a Carrera look to me, has a V rating generally of a 4. That means the "variability" (different looks tile to tile) is very high, so you might get some browns, some grays, some golds, you never know. When the tile dealers do samples, they pull all the similar tiles so you get that nice even look, but then when you get the box and tiler starts putting them up, you get way more than you bargained for. So, buy a box of whatever is your final decision, and do a "sample" board so you can also test grout colors as well. The grout is tricky to get just right, so sample boards are always a good idea. Yes, it costs a little bit, but better than being faced with taking everything out.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

OK - it looks more predominant white than beige to me. Would that be your assessment? If so, go white on backsplash.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, absolutely. Interesting about the V rating. And I don't like grout lines, too busy for me, so at least no worries there (yet, elsewhere). What are your thoughts on the icicle tile? Thank you!

Beth and Ted, looking forward to hearing from you too!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago

Icicle will have loads of grout. Avoid. Plus these narrow tile looks are passe. All about texture and linear looks.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Ah! hadn't thought of the grout! TY!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

marcomom. ok,,,one more I'm throwing into the mix. black quartz w/a bit of mirror.

(I really like this one)

lets remember something. you have a very, very small area of backsplash. I wouldn't be concerned about doing anything too bright, bold or whatever. Doing anything plain and sedate will just about amount to nothing. you might as well just leave up the paint. k?

so, same as above, but w/a whitish quartz and the mirror

here is the roman brisk. I actually love this one of your choices. it's a beautiful blue

this also comes in a Frosty Morning white w/a bluish/green tinge.

i'm thinking if you were to switch out the white appliances to black, it would really look great. you know you can find some killer deals on craigslist? prob pick up a black dishwasher for 300. And if you found a black/ss stove w/no back, that other wall would stand out nicely.

right now, the white appliances are putting a big of a wrench in things. I know they are in good shape. but down the road if you plan on phasing them to black or ss, then choose the backsplash according to that. I think if you at least did the micro/stove it would help out immensely. give craigslist a try. you could sell yours and use that towards something else.

• Pool Habit
    6 years ago

I just don't see why you would make a permanent comittment to the blue if you aren't even sure. Marble in an interesting pattern would be great.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

I haven't looked at your final 4 ( on a tight time schedule at the moment) but I would stay away from the marble as for all the colors and movement you could end up with as Flo states. Reading the other recent post made me think of something completely different. Since you don't have much wall area for a back splash, what if you did all mirror and not in any pattern.

Upper Alki Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Yes, it might be a slight issue as to what it reflects and if that would be an issue for you, in my experience with a mirrored backsplash is if you put a few tall things on the counter to break up the expanse the mirror disappears like in this example. I am thinking that since you are still questioning what to do, then we haven't found the perfect tile yet??

Countryside Traditional Kitchen - Astro Design - Ottawa · More Info

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

You're right in that I still haven't found the perfect tile! But mirror - I'm kinda passionate when I cook and that would totally be gross ;). Matte stainless? Too industrial?

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Blend Of Stone And Glass In A Versatile Mosaic. The Rich Look Of Polished Stone Is Randomly Mixed With Glass In Glossy And Frosted Finishes. This is a bit of everything...
    On some sites it looks white and others more taupe- so if you like it will have to see what color it actually is..

12"x12" Daltile Clio Glass Mosaic Glass Stone, Luna · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

marcomom,,,,did you see the photoshop inserts I did, above? any opinion?

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I wanted to thank the people who put so much time into giving me ideas and advice. No before and after yet, but I've decided on using Thassos subway tile. It's white but has those teeny tiny sparkles and variation which make it unique. I had a few samples from Tilebar but found it way cheaper at stonecenteronline -

Now if I could only find someone to install it!

Again thank you to all of you who took the time to comment and give ideas. It really helped me tremendously!

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Great news that you found a tile :) and that you found it for less $$$'s. Please post photos after it is installed as would love to see the end result.

marcommom thanked tedbixby
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

marcomom. yay! are they the 3x6 or larger?

stonecenteronline. haven't heard of that one. I'll have to check it out. yes, tilebar is not cheap! When I ordered my tiles from China, I noticed they had the exact same Thassos and mirror dot mosaic tile that Tilebar had.

this is mine that I imported myself, and the one below is tilebar. Identical. These tile stores probably order from the same places overseas.
    I paid 5 bucks a sheet for mine! tilebar is $20. there was another black and white marble chevron that I used in my shower. same thing. 6 bucks a sheet and it was 15-20 elsewhere. that's how much of a mark-up these places do. I had no place to put these (at the moment!) but couldn't pass up on the price so I ordered 25 sheets! I was already paying to import a crate of tile over here, I might as well fill it up to the max!

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Wow Beth! Is there a way I can do said importing myself? Pardon my naïveté but I thought Thassos was from Greece? By way of China?
    Yes I decided to forgo a pattern bc of the busyness of the granite. I also got a honed sample so it's kind of matte.
    Does $975 sound reasonable to install 18 sf of it? I mentioned in another thread but not sure if I should have sticker shock
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

Do you live near a major port? if not, putting it on a truck, from the port, and driving it to your state is very expensive. I'm near the port of Los Angeles, so all I did was pay to have the customs paperwork done and someone to off load it from the ship. I had over 400 sq ft of tile, so it was worth it for the savings. It was very time consuming messaging back and forth w/the company over there.

I think just about everything goes to China for processing! They even ship the Italian carrara over there for cutting. and yes, thassos is mined from a greek isle.

is 975 just for the install or price of tile included? Is grout included in that price? are they regular 3x6 tiles? 975 seems a little high for your easy space. 500-600 would be a fair price. years ago I had a tile guy tell me he charged 10-12 a sq ft to install marble tile. Even if it went to $15, that $975 is way high. It's a very small, straightforward backsplash. Simple cuts too. Make sure he uses a WHITE thinset meant for marble and natural stone. Small grout lines (1/16 - 1/8") and unsanded grout.

• tedbixby
    6 years ago

Did you have a wholesale tile place nearby? If so, you might check out if the installer will order it for you through the tile place (if they are able to get it) and if he would be willing to pass on his pricing to you which may (or not!) be less than purchasing through the internet. I had one installer do this for me and all I had to do was pick it up and he billed me.

• marcommom
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yes I had a feeling due to supply and demand maybe his price was high. Only the install for 3x6. He said it was difficult to install and the other thread said bc marble is thick?
    Thank you for grout advice.
    Two hours from major port and it will only be around $600 for tile so I don't think I'd save much. I want it NOW!
    Better find some more local resources!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

It is a thick tile, but no more difficult than other marble. It's a bit heavier and will want to slide down, so he should do a ledger board across the bottom so the lower row of tiles will stay put. Too bad I''m not close to you, I'd give you a good deal and do it myself!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.