marcier77

Front steps to porch and walkway - brick? bluestone?

marcier77
8 years ago

Hi - we are working on the front of our house this spring and having a hard time deciding on what to use on our front walkway and steps. Here are some pictures of the house as it looks now. The porch is level, but the steps are completely warped and uneven, and the walkways is cracked.

We love our red clay tile roof and the stucco (will possibly re-paint the white to a cream color), but we would like to modernize the aesthetic, with some cleaner lines.

Scrolling through the Houzz pictures, I think a natural bluestone with some red tones, or maybe brick would coordinate well w/the roof. Are there other stones/masonry ideas we should consider? Maybe just stick with wood for the steps so it integrates better with the wood porch? Also, my parents are elderly so hand rails would be great to help them walk up the stairs. But not sure how to combine the look of the rails in with the stucco column columns in a manner that doesn't look too dated.

Front porch floor is wood and currently painted a blue-gray. We will also be re-painting so we could go w/a new color to coordinate with the new steps and walkway. Don't have it in the budget to completely re-do the stucco surrounds and columns on the entire front porch.

Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Comments (73)

• beth9533
    8 years ago

When looking at railings, consider strength and safety. There are many, many designs available - google "outdoor stair railings" to get an idea. If you are considering the outward curved style of step, look at a center railing. As one of those older people, a good solid railing I can put my weight on and steps that don't try to trip me (overhanging edges, uneven stone) are most important.

Metal railings with a short matching build-out from the columns would integrate the stucco nicely. Lovely home!

• PRO
    American Porch, LLC
    8 years ago

Looks like you have some great feedback. Here are some examples of similar situations that may give you some ideas:

Custom Spindle Reproduction in Louisville, KY · More Info

Entryway Stair Railing, West Hempstead, NY · More Info

New Porch Railing in Franklin, TN · More Info

Front Porch with Curved Railing in Louisville, KY · More Info

• Related Discussions

Please help. I need suggestions for exterior redesign of house.

Q

Comments (15)
    hello bonnielynn75 and THANK YOU! your comment put a smile on my face re the red on the interior side of the door. It IS red on the inside as well, he insisted on that when we purchased it. no one here has it red on the inside and I wanted it to be white on the inside. do you see my dilemma?;) I agree with everything you are saying, I suppose this is the reason why so far I was not 100% sure about the black for the door either, although I like black...Agree, there is too much wall and I find the house to be looking a bit 'bland' and would like to change that. I LOVE shutters, but read somewhere that you never put shutters on wide windows, so got unsure about that, too...but perhaps just the one as I stated earlier. Would the color on that shutter be the same as the door (if I ever settle on a door color)? Unfortunately window boxes are not an option as we have quite a few cats and they may be used as litter boxes;) please don't tell me to get rid of the cats;)... Regarding the stoop (entrance) : we need to add another step (made of cement) on top of the existing step: it was removed when the new door was fitted. We were thinking of putting slate tiles or something dark to match the roof, if that makes any sense.... It is porous cement so unsuitable for painting, I think. What place in Ireland did you visit, we are close to the Irish Sea in the country surrounded by sheep;)...
    ...See More

Needs a facelift?

Q

Comments (13)
    I have a tile roof, and they make going mod kind of difficult, but they do add charm.With the sort of earthy color scheme i posted before, you could paint the bricks with masonry paint in a paler tone like sw ancient marble or wash them with a more grayed green so they add taupe tones if you do the chimneys the same - but really, the color resonates with the roof, so use it as color inspiration. Look at 100 year old homes with lines like this and their window mullions - if the upper elements and sides of the larger picture window had muntins / grilles, they would be more charming. Still, you are aiming at retro farmhouse with the muntins, not necessarily authentic historic . . but that gives you some concept about how to go and search for inspiration. You don't have to tear out the entire ramp - could widen "pad/porch" to left and put stairs right down the front depending on car park / depth to roadway design - have your ramp and stairs and just take off the old handrail too . . great for universal design when selling tho railing is not attractive.
    ...See More

Need advice for front door

Q

Comments (15)
    Just wanted to add something regarding the steps since I had also asked for advice on them: we had steps installed in slate, but unfortunately they did not turn out to look very nice, so will need to get redone . Was wondering if we should also incorporate some of the bricks seen on the porch, perhaps as risers covered by blue limestone or slate just to tie everything together?
    ...See More

Garden help

Q

Comments (25)
    Hi lots of different options and ideas going on. I had a similar wall and understand how mean it can be to little ones. I bought and put up the expanding wood trellis. This instantly covered the area at a very reasonable price. I then planted quick growing climbing plants. I'm not a great gardener so I cant remember what i had but ask at the garden centre they will advise you. But at least you have a barrier in place to minimize accidents.
    ...See More
  • 1027sharon
    8 years ago

Beth's comment was so good.. A railing to help the older or injured/disabled family and friends. We are building an ADA house , only 2 steps to front and back porch and I will have railing. This will be our last house and I am trying to plan for the future.

• mdcathy
    8 years ago

I really like the look of the curved railing pictures on that house in KY---but if you don't want to go with 2, how about a railing right down the middle? if you go with the 2 railings, make the front area coming off the steps in almost a patio size , maybe only about 3 or feet from the bottom of the steps before narrowing it to a walkway---a narrow walkway to those broad steps will look funny and not very inviting. I like the picture with the bluestone lined with the bricks---that would look nice and tie into the lovely roof color. I think I would paint the riser of the steps in white with the step part in the color of the porch floor---ties it into the stucco. that way.

• dtaz
    8 years ago

Can't say enough about being sure whatever materials you choose are safety conscious. I once saw a home with gorgeous black marble in the bathroom. It looked lovely, but was an accident waiting to happen. I was on crutches and in a wheel chair when I broke an ankle and sprained the other. Anyway you can add railings and avoid slippery materials is great. It can become really difficult for older adults to get into your house. I discovered that there are so many hazards and trip triggers even in an ADA world. I like the look of Western Spindle's Ky home. It looks like it would fit the wider stairway you have and it gives some weight to the bottom of the house to counter the top-heavy look of the dormers.

• stacy1017
    8 years ago

I would stay with wood steps and a wooden railing in the same color as your pillars. It just suits the style of the house. I love stone steps, but I think that's too fancy for your house. For the sidewalk, I would also take it to the street if you can, and I would use stone for that. There are so many types of stone, and something that is irregular in shape would be more casual because your home is not a formal style. Alternatively, if you have the budget, you could add stone facing to the bottom of your house, and then you could put matching steps in. The problem I have with the idea of stone or brick steps is that those materials are not currently repeated on your home right now. I agree with your idea to paint your house cream because the red with cream is a better match than white with red. Darling house!

• Gusto
    8 years ago

A classic house. Go with classic steps and path. I like the bluestone/brick idea.

• Irene Dimaggio
    8 years ago
    I just did mine and my steps were so crooked but they are narrower! I decided to have them done in cement and they look so nice! I still need railings and some more wk on them but I'm so glad I did it in cement! I took a chance but I'm glad I did! Normally I would have wanted bluestone,but I already have 2 patios in that and a sunroom and another side yard in b.s.! Plus stone wall it all looks nice but I thought I would be different! Good luck.....but to answer your question,I would use blue stone on both!
  • Kendrah
    8 years ago

Friends just replaced the wood steps in their 1910 home with masonry ones. The job was really well done, still, it looks tragically off with their wood porch. I firmly believe wood steps are the right choice for your home. You will just need to maintain them every few years so they don't rot.

For the path, I would take a cue from the neighbors. What do others use? We redid our sidewalks this past summer and I spent weeks walking our neighborhood "window shopping" other homes to see what I like best. Also, do bricks and stone hold up equally well to salt if you live in a snowy area?

I might be the only one here who does not like the brick and stone combo. Your home is very classic looking and I wouldn't introduce too many elements here. Keep it simple. With a new paint job and either bluestone or brick walkway, I think you will really like the look of your house. Respect the era and add functional railings.

• PRO
    Ayanna Bryan, PhD
    8 years ago
    Brick or paver trim, with a dark slate or bluestone inside. Adds dimension to the walkway leading to the steps.
  • Amy Hoffman-Shehan
    8 years ago
    I would also paint the skirt of the house dark to anchor the house and compliment the color of the steps.
  • begz75
    8 years ago
    I like the wooden steps in the pic that western spindle posted. Believe they would fit better with the look and feel of the home. Granted wood can also get slick when wet but you have the option to put the no slip grips on the wood in a fashon that does not look tacky.
  • PRO
    Toronto Elitecrete
    8 years ago
    I will go with concrete with decorative overlay, you unlimited color, texture and design choice plus you can change the overlay and renew it with not much money.
  • karinbee
    8 years ago

I also vote for the bluestone, brick, and railing for the steps! Also, planting a border around the sidewalk would be the icing on the cake!

• Tammy Lawhorn
    8 years ago
    I would go with a large flagstone walkway and steps curved off the house like suggested by lucidos. Also would make the walkway 4 foot wide and steps with larger landings spread out equally to the required elevation. A few pictures similar to my suggestions
  • Tammy Lawhorn
    8 years ago
    Also agree with the fact that the bottom of the home needs to be painted the dark grey to balance it instead of the white
  • donnacox
    8 years ago
    We underwent a lot a landscaping a few years ago and love how our new walkway changed the whole look of our house!
  • B McKe
    8 years ago
    Since your parents are elderly, reference ADA standards for the rise and run. Shorter rises are much easier for people with knee issues and elderly but that will increase the number of steps and the run as well.
  • cheryld1
    8 years ago

Brick, or a brick combination to match the roof. Metal handrails to fit the house. Anything can be made from iron. But you must tie the color of the roof in the design.

• martin1812
    8 years ago
    If the concrete is in good shape, leave it and save time and money. I have a treatment that is a faux slate, painted in several steps then sealed. The company that did mine is not in business anymore but I'm sure you could explore options in your area. The sidewalk is a bit wet due to some rain.
  • PRO
    Daniel Murray Mason
    8 years ago

There's also stone bordered with stone. Masonry is unlimited.

• kat674
    8 years ago
    the reason the house is charming to begin with is because the original elements are there. I would keep the wood porch, the house deserves to look like it should
  • felizlady
    8 years ago
    While the curved stairs are very attractive, I don't think they compliment your house as nicely as the brick-edged bluestone in a straightforward pattern.
  • Judith Adams
    8 years ago
    Brick.
  • shelral
    8 years ago

Hi, just wanted to add my thoughts.

If you want to maintain a monochromatic theme you can consider the following inspiration and maybe do a little colour with foliage.

Best wishes.

• marcier77
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your feedback! All extremely helpful. A bit more information would be useful for you to know:

We are located in New York and see a fair amount of snow in the winter. So materials that can withstand the elements is important. I've found our wood steps to be slippery, which necessitates us putting down rubber stair treads for the season.

Also though difficult to tell from the photos, but our property is actually level. There was a tree next to the front of the house which we took down; its roots lifted the concrete pad on which the steps are located, making everything look warped and uneven. So no matter what, the steps and the concrete pad need to be removed and replaced. So the suggestions involving the curved steps won't really work on this property.

Though I like the idea of steps that get wider as you descend, I'm not sure they fit with the house. The top step is already super wide (10 ft) and if they get much wider as you descend they will take over the front of the house. The distance between the stucco columns are all even so Ive started thinking that keeping the steps the current width is the way to go. Also, though I love the idea of repainted get the foundation a darker color to anchor the house, I'm not going to put money towards that project this year. Maybe in 2017!

I'm currently leaning towards these two options:

1 ) replacing the concrete pad with a level one and building new wood steps on top (risers painted white and treads painted the dark grey). Putting in a 3 foot deep landing at the bottom of the steps (steps are currently 10 ft wide), which then angles off into a 4-ft wide bluestone path that curves to the driveway (with a cleaner curve than currently exists). Thinking to use the various geometric shapes and the type of angle shown in the photo taken here. OR

2) same as above, but building steps out of stone, using 10 foot long thermal bluestone pieces as each individual stair tread (so no mortar needed on the tread). Would possibly use red brick or stucco painted white for the risers. For the sides of the steps I'm leaning towards white stucco. If I used brick in the risers, I would likely edge the bluestone path in brick.

Also, I'm having the porch sanded and painted this year; could possibly picks new color, but I'm thinking the grey is a decent choice. Foundation landscaping will go in as soon as we install the new steps and masonry.

TIA!
  • User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Marcier,

I solved a slippery-steps problem on my painted-wood porch steps by having some sand mixed in with the paint. That was done by a professional, so I can't give you the proportions, but I gather this is a common "trick" and you should be able to find that info online or from others.

I also purchased non-slip shower applique strips and put a few right on top of the paint. Mine were in a pale grey color close to the grey color of my porch paint, but these kinds of appliqués also are sold in clear. Mine were invisible from the sidewalk, and even though they were visible to someone using the steps, they simply looked practical and reassuring, not ugly. They also had the benefit of subtly drawing people's attention to any potential for "slipperiness." Even though the stairs were no longer slippery, not even with a coating of light snow, I was glad that people paid attention while using the steps.

My porch entry was extemely wide, like yours, and even though there were railings on each side of the steps, the railings were so distant from the door that most people ignored using them, going straight up or down the center of the steps. So having the extra grippiness of the appliqués gave me some peace of mind about guests using the stairs.

(Edited to add: While I think it is worth considering painting the foundation of the house a darker color, I would be concerned that it might make the rest of house end up looking crushingly "top heavy". One way to correct for that -- whether you paint the foundation or not -- is plant the ornamentals away from the foundation. Don't put bushes smack up against the house, but bring them well forward, stealing some real estate from the lawn. My house was in the US northeast, so we used hydrangea and laurel bushes to add visual "ballast" to the bottom of a 3-story colonial with pointy roof dormers.)

• C&T Brooks (VA, Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

Love your dutch colonial! 1920's?

If you must go with a non-wood option, given the age of your house, I'd go with brick. Not only will it tie in with the roof, but it will look timeless. I feel like slate, although a classic material, can be hit or miss in it's application. Either it looks beautiful or it looks tacked on. I know you want to modernize, but old homes are very picky about scale and material. If it's not done right it's very obvious. I'd lean towards using a more modern color scheme to update rather then materials that aren't "appropriate".

There's another option that will be less expensive, freeing up some funds for the columns. I know you mentioned it isn't in the budget yet, but stripping the columns will help significantly. Not sure how much of a DIY-er you are, but stripping is not difficult and it's rather inexpensive, just time consuming. Next step would be putting those spindles back on the railing. You could then re-do the steps in wood (or maybe call a professional to properly repair) and continue the same railing down the steps. Something along these lines...

The porch skirting/foundation needs to be painted darker. It helps to ground the house. Currently, the white draws your eye straight to it, in a negative way, and doesn't help camouflage dirt. Maybe, for now, you can paint it the same color as the shutters and porch floor. Adding some foundations plants is key. Something like limelight hydrangeas would be lovely. Easy to care for and that lime green and white is always fresh looking.

You have great bones to work with, love it, and good luck! :)

• Maggie B
    8 years ago

I would second the bluestone walkway trimmed in brick. I did that at my house and still admire it every time I'm approaching my home..

• graycemiller
    8 years ago
    We did stone on our front porch and it has been a nightmare in winter.
    Because of our animals we don't salt the steps..so it gets dangerously slippery...while preserving it's longevity.
    On our back steps we used Azek composite decking and love it.
    Not slippery . So much colour choice today.
    With elderly people make sure the steps are even wider than code...and if you do go with stone use drip edge.
  • ajrmcr
    8 years ago

Same exact experience as graycemiller! We have bluestone on our front porch and stairs and it is treacherous. (Plus, if you fall you are hitting your head on stone.) We have Azek on our back porch and it is great. My vote: bluestone for the walkway and Azek for the stairs and if possible the porch floor. Never have to paint again!

• Dawn Y
    8 years ago
    Love the idea of bluestone with red brick. We have that was well (see pic) and I feel it goes with a lot of different style homes.
  • PRO
    DC interiors
    8 years ago
    I think the bluestone and brick are stunning!
  • User
    8 years ago

Here is my take on it

• PRO
    Lisa McKnight
    8 years ago

Build risers in antique red brick and gold or silver granite bull-nosed tread. Keep it simple! With so many steps you should be considering hand rails now as to install later will be difficult. A slight outward curve to the steps would pick up the roof shape. See western spindle image above.

• equinekdc
    8 years ago

I would keep the steps in wood but use a pressure treated or outdoor type of product and then use a solid stain instead of paint...I did this when we built a riding ring and paddocks at our horse farm. The stain will never peel as it soaks into the wood and doesn't sit on top like paint. As for the walkway, you have cold winters and therefore I would recommend concrete pavers instead of brick pavers...not a fan of bluestone for a walkway. Concrete pavers come in a myriad of colors,shapes and sizes...we installed some at the beginning and end of the barn aisle that resembled cobblestone...looked amazing !! Best of luck to you...I love, love, love your house !!

• saratogaswizzlestick
    8 years ago

I live in CT and tons of people have bluestone walkways. In West Hartford the older neighborhoods have bluestone sidewalks. I have never had an issue with it being too slippery unless someone chose honed bluestone instead of cut or if they put a lacquer of some kind on it. The only other caution I would have if the area is very shady you may have to power wash every few years if you notice moss growing. The same would be true for concrete. Pavers can look nice but with such a pretty Dutch colonial it would be nice to go authentic in keeping with the age of your house.

• julieannkl
    8 years ago
    Just wondering, as I do daycare, how slippery will the bluestone get for rain and snow ?
  • Maggie B
    8 years ago

I have gotten a thin layer of ice during certain snowstorms on my front step but that has more to do with lack of sun exposure. My pathway never gets icy. And although it is not recommended I do use salt to melt it but I use it sparingly. Bluestone is not slippery from the rain at all.

I still vote for the bluestone.

• denyseglassdepot
    8 years ago

Reclaimed brick would be fab and non slip!

• Gloria Del Cid
    8 years ago
    Brick would be ideal for this house, it would give it a warmer and more charming look and as you said it would complement the beautiful roof you already have...also maybe a straight path down the center perhaps would look better.
  • Kathleen Marineau
    8 years ago

Here in WV we have problems with slipping due to ice more than snow on both our wood front steps and the brick outside the sunporch exit. A little rain and a freezing night make it dangerous in the morning. For granddaughter to catch the 0630 school bus, she goes out the garage onto the asphalt drive then walks on the grass to the street.

I don't recommend brick unless you want to replace it every few years. Ice Melt products eat them up quickly. On the wood steps I can usually sweep the snow with a straw broom to make grooves for better grip and they defrost faster than any other surface.

I especially like the suggestion of using clear bathtub appliques or sand in the paint for the front steps. I found instructions on mixing and type of sand on the web. That is my current plan for this year.

• Mary Wiggenhorn
    8 years ago

I like the idea of curved stairs (will echo your roof line) with railings. Bluestone with brick for the walk. Unsure about the steps as I know bluestone can get slippery and brick steps can be a pain depending on your climate. I agree with painting the lower part of your home to blend a little better.

• Judith Schulten
    8 years ago

Someone suggested putting the safety railings in the middle. Even though the steps are very wide, you might sometime need all that width to move a piece of furniture... a piano, for example. Put the railings on either side.

• beth9533
    8 years ago

I suggested the railing in the middle to reduce the distance people who need the railing have to walk. But that's me and my lack of spoons. I also dislike plants and decorative items sitting on the steps because of the difficulty navigating around them to reach a railing. Beautiful, but there are always trade-offs. Just the perspective of someone who depends on railings.

• beverleyc
    8 years ago

Don't try to match your roof. The tile and the brick never match. Look around at homes with brick driveways, bricks look tired and faded in any shade of red or orange-ish. The bluestone is the way to go. Natural stone and natural colour. Lasts and lasts and lasts!

• Kathleen Marineau
    8 years ago

A little off topic, but essential to communication.

beth9533: I had to look up "lack of spoons". At my age (73), most of my misunderstanding and not having a clue comes from vocabulary isolation. I'm just not exposed to new language. Thanks for the education.

As for the railing location, when the rail is on the sides and unobstructed, couldn't you start on the side instead of the middle? Then it wouldn't be too far to reach.

I vote for railings on the side because of small children. If you watch them learn stairs, they tend to go to the edge, even if they start in the middle. Falling off upper steps is also a risk and why I don't like to put stiff or thorny shrubs next to the steps.

From experience, I don't like anything bigger than a marigold or gladiolus next to steps. One of my cousins used to hide in the bushes and attack any other kid going up or down.

It's easy when we're in our prime physically to forget to plan for a future with people, including ourselves, who aren't.

• PRO
    Roanoke Landscapes
    8 years ago

would go with a Belgard blend. You can use the Liberty Blend for the border which has the red tones that would tie in your roof. This pattern I feel would have a more "cobblestone" feel which would lend to the overall feel of your Colonial home more than a slate would. Slate seems a more modern line. I would replace the steps with curved steps. The curve would go very well with the lines in your home and the columns. The Liberty could be the underneath portion of the steps (the riser) it would all tie in quite well. The other paver is from the Holland collection-Sable Blend.

Inman Family Project · More Info
    Belgard Liberty Blend Border and Holland Stone-Sable Blend middle pavers.
    Inman Family Project · More Info

Curved steps with the Liberty Blend for the "riser" of the steps.

• Lynn Baxter
    8 years ago

There appears to be enough depth in your front yard to add on extra step, thereby reducing the height of all the risers. I would then follow on by making each step deeper by about 50mm (2"). This will give a more comfortable ascendance to your front door for elderly parents etc. I would position handrails on the edges because if the rail is placed in the it middle makes me think of going into a office block or school building!! I like the bluestone option for the path as long as you choose a rough but not uneven product to reduce the chance of slipping. It appears that your driveway is greyish so that would blend in nicely. Only choose the brick edging if the landscaper/contractor feels it will cope with expansion/contraction during your winter conditions. Can they join/bed paving it in an expansive type product to solve that problem? If not, lay the bluestone with a self border. I think you can go either way with the actual steps - timber steps painted in the blue grey colour and risers painted to match the terracotta roof or just continue the bluestone to the steps right up to the verandah. I think the idea of changing the railings along the veranda to spindles etc would look great (if that was in your budget) and then the railing to the stairs would co-ordinate well. I would have pillar shaped posts at the base of the stairs to echo the shape of the posts on your verandah. Definitely, make the curve of the path less sharp and sweep it pour in a wide arc. That area then created on the left would perhaps be lovely if one large careen bed with a blossom tree in the centre surrounded by woodland plantings a bulbs for spring. Backdrops of Hydrangeas as mentioned before along the base of your verandah (but not too close for maintenance and wear reasons) would look great either side of steps. Good luck!

• sofia aymes
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Marcier,

The front porch of your home looks good. Since you said you want to change the walkway and steps of your front porch, I think you should go with a combination of flagstone and brick; you can also install lowmaintenance and durable aluminum railings. This design will give support to your parents or other seniors while walking and prevent slipping accidents. To find out more, visit this web site : http://www.genesismasonry.ca/our-services/

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.