hzdeleted_25044823

This unorganised male needs your help!

User
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My bedroom is a mess.

-And yes, I take full responsibility.

On seasonal relevance I feel it's time for a spring clean, and I'd love your ideas. I want a bedroom that is organised, spacious and will of course impress a date I may bring home. I want some colour too..... Help me please

Kind Regards,

Grateful Eligible Bachelor

Comments (39)

• bigreader
    8 years ago
    I've seen worse. I'll let others comment on storage. The biggest thing you need to focus on for a date is a clean toilet and fresh clean linen.
  • wembleydowns
    8 years ago
    I'd put simple shutters or a plain blind over the window to hide the bars,it will look less like a prison cell then :)
  • Related Discussions

need help with open plan kitchen /living room

Q

Comments (11)
    I agree with everything said so far. Would suggest you get built in book shelvers on both sides of fireplace, lift tv into a slot it fits perfectly into (make sure you have power on both sides). Then it will disappear more rather than fight with fireplace as focal point. I am always disappointed with mirrors over fireplaces, they become dark, are to high to reflect much. Plus then you have three rectangles fighting for center stage. I'd say very colorful artwork instead. Wonder if you can reorient tv where the big chairs are so both tv and fireplace are addressed? Color, maybe you should decide on furniture first?
    ...See More

Make my room more family friendly

Q

Comments (42)
    Hi Janis Unfortunately I am not in the Boston area - I live in Ireland! Yes there are red items in 3 of the main rooms, the kitchen, sitting room and tv room (library) - although we have pared those back now and it's not as overwhelming. thanks for all your help everyone, i really feel like it's made a big difference and am excited to finish the tv room and then refresh the play room. do you think I should move the piano to the sitting room? and would the jazz painting work in the tv room? speak later, thanks!
    ...See More

Need help with my sons bedroom please

Q

Comments (3)
    best thing is to go through some photos with your sons and ask them what they would like in the bedroom.
    ...See More

Whole house re-decor , for sale purposes

Q

Comments (33)
    Hello Duncan, They are good and I am biased as I don't use companies that don't provide trade discount... as I usually like to help my clients out... Here's a few images and an edging on a runner can be lovely too... I have also included one of a painted stair... So you have an option all of which are rather striking.... : )) x http://www.naturalrugstore.co.uk/coir-rugs.asp?gclid=Cj0KEQjwiKS3BRCU-7XQ75Te3NoBEiQAA2t_xPmcwAZ3TS0Qhq1t1hzYsP-r8oFgdC385qXO88eXioYaAjCE8P8HAQ The painted one... I would include the banister in this scenario..
    ...See More
  • patjon
    8 years ago

Your bedroom is not too bad purchase a nice Doonah cover set and some bedside lamps from one of the major chain stores or off a site called ezybuy on your computer. if you get the next size up from your bed you can use the cover in summer by itself as a bedspread you can also buy some matching towel sets and some bed cushions ,select colours from the Doonah set for these. Can the boards go in the garage? or if not fix them to the wall as Rebecca suggested and a roman blind on the windows above the bed would be nice you may have to go to a curtain shop for this please remember when entertaining clean sheets you may need an extra set or several good luck

• dohraime
    8 years ago

Ditto the suggestion to put surfboard on display. It's a shame to see it up on the closet.

If you're short on storage space in the room, can you raise the bed and use the space underneath?

Regarding the clothes, are these "worn once, not quite ready for the wash" clothes? I have a bad habit of hanging those on the towel rails. :/ I use to dump them on a chair in the bedroom. I've never broken myself of the habit unfortunately. I suggest hanging these with hanger facing opposite way to other clothing. Or having a well ventilated hamper you can throw it all in and dig through as needed.

Regarding colour, are you looking to do this with paint? Or artwork and other decor, bedding etcetera?

• User
    8 years ago

Take higher res photos of the surf, blow up, hang on wall. Or get a removable mural made and stick right across the wardrobe. Might be able to get that ready made.

• User
    8 years ago

Someone tell me to stop eating bikkies?

• User
    8 years ago

Now I didn't even want that last bikkie.

• User
    8 years ago

Not Darth Muriel

• User
    8 years ago

Not Muriel

click on them.

• User
    8 years ago

This is called Zen

http://www.cottonbox.com.au/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=39411

someone photoshop the pink cushion out? Ha ha all I could do was crop out the other three

• User
    8 years ago

Please tell me that is your surfboard and you're not just minding it for a mate.

• User
    8 years ago

ONLY $10 bucks!!! But you have to go to Target. Do you get into a cold sweat when shopping? Good excuse to ask a female friend...

http://www.target.com.au/p/torbin-stripe-queen-quilt-cover-set-aqua/56191165_aqua

• User
    8 years ago

Just looked at your wardrobe again, I see you can't stick a Muriel on that (no I was tired, not drunk last night,) you would have to use the largest wall.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

thanks @chookchook2, the memes did provide some entertainment, and i'm not sure about the Muriel- but maybe a photo collage on cork board or too cliche'?

• User
    8 years ago

I'm thinking meh. Go for one big enlargement, framed. You need to show class.

• User
    Original Author
    8 years ago

@dohraime i like the idea of raising the bed, thank you!

• fianou
    8 years ago

re: making it a nice space for a date. Show them you can look after yourself and it will go a long way to showing them you can look after them. It should be tidy, clean and smell good. It should tell them something of who you are and be a great space to hang out in.

Smell is probably most important. So wash the sheets every week and open the windows as much as possible during the day, and always open the curtains in the morning to let in the sunshine. That would be my biggest complaint of male bedrooms, they often get stinky and stuffy because the curtains are closed all the time. Make sure you bathroom is super clean to stop those smells coming in too!

I would highly recommend the konmari method for tidying. the magical art of tidying is a short book and easy read and teaches you how to spring clean brilliantly. Its not too fussy and you don't need to buy any special storage. It teaches you how to fold and find a place for everything and ditch what you don't need. I am not terribly fastidious ( read messy) and I have a nice tidy room now. Even when its messy it takes like 5 mins to put in order, which I think is plenty of time for unexpected dates!

The other thing I notice about guys rooms is they often lack personality, try and show something of who you are and what you love in the things around you. Photos are a great thing to hang up, without being too much like decor. Photos of the people you care about, friends, family, holidays. A little gallery wall is a good idea as it will open up heaps of conversations with your date, they'll ask about the photos and you can tell them all about you. So far your room tells nothing about you there's no vibe or personality. That's worse than having an untidy room to be honest. Framed photos look way better than a corkboard collage. And from the point of view of sussing you out.... corkboard says temporary, framed says serious and mature. Framing isn't hard, you can get frames from the opshop cheap and make a little collection.

As far as impressing a date. Depends how serious you are. You want a serious relationship? Then you want your date to fall in love with you... plain and simple the best way for them to do that is to let them get to know you. So having things in your room that tell them more about you is helpful. Have things around that relate to your hobbies, interests, favourite films, books, past, family.... it helps them imagine if they could be a part of your life and helps you find common ground. If you don't want a serious relationship then it really doesn't matter.

As for actual decor ideas.

I think you should ditch the red blanket, and find some nice sheets. Make sure they are 100% cotton ( egyptian is best) with a high thread count. They will smell fresh, not stain, and feel super soft against the skin. Single guys always have nasty polyester sheets that absorb horrible guy smells.

Another nice look is stone washed linen. It looks best all crumply so you don't have to be so crazy about bed making. Good quality sheets can be pricey but you only need one set. Pull them off, wash, dry and put them straight back on. A nice patterned bedspread would breath a lot of life into the room. If you keep your sheets regularly washed the bedspread need not be washed so often.

Find a simple gauzy sheer to hang over the windows also, lets the light in but softens the mood and is heavenly for cosy mornings in bed (wink wink). This picture below shows nicely how a little pattern can warm a grey room, but of course that many throw cushions is ridiculous. The top is the stone washed linen.

I'd also suggest getting a nice lamp with a shade that throws out the light softly and has a low watt yellow/warm light. Use that instead of the overhead light as it will make the space seem much more inviting. A lamp with a nice warm glow will totally transform your room! Lamps can be picked up pretty cheap at op shops or bargain stores. Tidy up and hide all your cable and technology and devices. They are a total romance killer!

Oh and a last note: any random decor items that are not actually something you like, love or picked for yourself have to go! You don't need that random wall hanging you nanna gave you just cos there is nothing else in your house. Nothing screams BACHELOR like crappy random decor.

Charcoal Rustic Rough Stonewashed Linen Bed Cover/Coverlet · More Info

A Suburban Oasis · More Info

User thanked fianou
  • User
    8 years ago

Mexican Throw? Give the room some colour, and clean up a bit! If that doesn't do the trick- not sure what will. ;)

• georgi02
    8 years ago

Make the bed! Everything instantly looks more tidy.

For organization:

• keep a nice laundry basket in your room - keep dirty laundry (and can double as that emergency place to stash mess).
    • clear out anything that you haven't used for over a year.
    • clear the clutter off your beside tables. If your inclined to leave change on them - get a large jar and use it as an incentive to save.
    • if you've got excess clothes, keep what you're using in the wardrobe and use your suitcase to store other pieces of clothing.
    • If, like some gents (who shall remain un-named), you love and buy lots of T-shirts - when you buy a new one - get rid of an old one.
    • Keep undies in one drawer.
    • Keep socks from ending up in odd places by keeping a lingerie bag in your hamper - put them all in there and they wont get lost in the wash or around the house.
    • Make the bed.
    • Stack any reading material in one place and go through it regularly culling what you've read or wont ever end up reading.

For décor:

• Lamps on your beside tables will make the room comfortable.
    • A blind at the window will also make it more comfortable.
    • Whatever doona cover you choose - make the bed (have I mentioned that before?).
    • Paint the walls - in the photo they're a cool looking colour - warm them up using a warm green/blue or even deep warm tans.
    • If you've got a lockable garage - put the surfboard in it.
    • Get rid of the photos or frame them and use them on the bedside tables.
  • Christine Griffiths
    8 years ago
    I like so many of these suggestions- especially
    1) the stone-washed linen sheets/Doona cover
    2) airing the room often
    3) adding personal pics/murals (go bigger than you think)

I'd add a coupla suggestions:
    1) make sure it's two bedside lamps, your guest might need light, also the symmetry is nice
    2) try and add a few books somewhere- connected to your hobbies but mainstream enough for guests to peruse.
    3) if you want to add candles for atmosphere, choose unscented (scented can be too strong and off-putting), and make sure they are dripless tea-lights in a nice votive holder, not something big that makes your guest wonder how many times it's been lit for other guests! Do I need to add 'never ever incense'? Prolly not.

Go forth and entertain with gusto!
  • User
    8 years ago

Innocent question, asked innocently, have you got room for an armless chair?

• bluegreenbrown
    8 years ago

Just looks like what i'd expect a mans room to look like Just as long as it doesn't smell too much! (joking) Looks like you have plenty of storage. Nice big cupboard. Tip for tidying: I always make the bed first, even if I have to put stuff on the floor to do so. After that, use the bed to sort everything out into categories: eg. socks and undies, T-shirts, dirty clothes, toiletries, then put each pile away where it goes... assuming your cupboard is organised. If it's not, that could be the first step. Use plastic crates or baskets to organise the cupboard.

You don't need it to be too fancy. You're a guy.

• User
    8 years ago

Great post

Lots of ideas- have you considered building up some bookshelves around the bedhead and side tables to store books and favourite things. You can add ambience to the room by also creating some up lighting such as in this photo

https://www.houzz.com.au/photos/marine-loft-industrial-bedroom-santa-barbara-phvw-vp~22511023

An armchair and desk is also nice to have in a corner. Bedlinen by Aura is lovely with dark moody colours but with pops of colour too

http://www.aurahome.com.au/product/557146805/Patch-Quilt-Cover

The photo for this bedlinen range is also showing the casual messy look so you are not alone!

Invest in some lovely night lamps and perhaps some other ideas such as these

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/21110691980248389/

Investing in a nice tripod floor lamp for a corner also adds some additional evening lighting and will distract from the window and wardrobe. Good luck!

• User
    8 years ago

just adding to the earlier post - these style lamps , doesnt have to be these exactly but they do add visual interest/ ambience/ and warm the room up and you can have one bedside table lamp and one floor lamp to mix it up a bit

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/52354414389713148/

Pop art is always great to have above the bed or on another wall, you could have a pop art pic that can be made up from any surfing pics you have taken

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=pop+art+pics+of+surfing&espv=2&biw=911&bih=445&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CBsQsARqFQoTCLee9eum5cgCFUnkYwodZccPUA#imgrc=yDNNNuwOXxM3GM%3A

For extra storage you could have a storage ottoman at the foot of the bed in a nice dark grey linen that allows you to store mid size items. I also love the idea of raising the bed to have storage underneath. Not sure how much walking space you have around the bed for an ottoman though.

For the ensuite have some geometric towels and plain coloured egyptian cotton towels will do the trick :)

• User
    8 years ago

Any update pics, Jonathon?

• PRO
    Finer Details Concierge and Organiser Services
    7 years ago

Love Rebecca Naughtin's suggestions but to add further - a made bed can make a huge difference to your room. You seem to have a decent size wardrobe so maybe put storage cubes on shelves instead of hanging items, that way they are quicker and easier to put away. A couple of hooks at the end of the wardrobe for items you want to access quickly and a decorative tin or other container for the items you want to store on your bedside table.

• PRO
    Bluethumb Online Art Gallery
    7 years ago

Add some original artwork ! Jet James from Yeppoon creates wonderful collagraph artworks like this:

Incoming Tide 2 by Jet James:

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Now you have posted this picture with an unmade bed and clothes all over it for us to see - note future girlfriend may be a houzzer. Number 1 make bed and put away clothes before guests arrive or you take and post photos as all the paintings and new doona covers in the world won't make up for this. After this consider all the great suggestions above. Note to self - make your own bed more often please rather than advising others to do same.
  • ecl24
    7 years ago
    A strong, painted feature wall behind the bed would be cool. I'm feeling a navy. Plus the other suggestions of framed prints, curtains and wall mounting the surf board. No need to go full surfing coastal theme unless you want to, can be a bit corny.
  • PRO
    User
    7 years ago

There is some great advice above, I think to get the biggest change at an affordable price will come by getting some decor, like new bedding, cushions, bedside lamps, wall art, maybe a rug… charcoal and blues would be a great colour pallet. Keep us updated on how you go. :)

• asquithoatley
    7 years ago

A lot of great suggestions- guess it pays to be a single male in want of advice!

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Old thread. Johnathon, you never did give Chookchook her update!

• PRO
    Manchester Collection
    7 years ago

I would visit Manchester Collection, I think the following quilt covers set would look really nice there!

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    The quilt cover above would look great.
  • bigreader
    7 years ago
    OLD POST. Hopefully the bachelor has met the love of his life by now.
  • junipergirl
    7 years ago

@bigreader, by now he's married and got a kid. That's if he took all the advice shared here those few years ago. ;)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.