monidda

Our little downstairs loo needs help

Monica
8 years ago
Hi there I need some help with our smallest bathroom
This is what I have so far, I like this wallpaper and goes well with the green marble. Love the lights but is the finish wrong? I didn't want silver as I plan the frame on the mirror to be silver and wanted some contrast with the silver in the wallpaper.

Comments (302)

• minnie101
    8 years ago

That sounds much better news! Well done to the plumber for coming round tonight. I really don't think you should pay him as awkward as that conversation may be. I'm glad you're feeling better anyway, you can now look forward to coming home to a finished room, yay! Xxx

• amadcass
    8 years ago
    What a relief it must be for you to have fixed things before you go away. Two steps forward and one back ... you're almost there .... and it will all be worth it. It looks amazing!
  • Related Discussions

Need help with Kitchen especially pelmet!

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks for all the replies. I have the blind ordered so I cannot change this. However, if it were to be fitted to the outside frame of the window, it would be let down on top of the tap. I`m not planning on tiling, as we`ve recently repainted the kitchen. I am trying to attach some photos from this website to show examples of pelmets that may work. Is there a way to do this??
    ...See More

Need help with our bedroom.....

Q

Comments (11)
    I got one of those men who cares about EVERYTHING!! LOL Sometimes I wish he was like "most"....I'd have more butterflies myself. ;) We got a Rottie girl....we've rescued Great Danes for over 15 years but they just do not live very long....it's too hard....so we switched breeds. I am so tired.... Ok back to this room.....I'd like to know what you like poster....traditional....contemporary....want a theme like travel? Floral? Butterflies ;)??
    ...See More

Need help with shower in dormer bathroom

Q

Comments (4)
    For the time being (and this IS only a temporary fix) try using a water based penetrating sealer on the grout. I stress water based, because solvent based sealers today are made to be "breatheable", meaning they allow moisture to transmit back and forth, while the water based sealers will repel water. You still need to address this in a more permanent manner (the glass door is a good idea, but it wouldn't hurt to remove the bathroom floor tile, waterproof the floor, and install a new tile floor), but this will help until you can afford to do what you need to do.
    ...See More

Our bland kitchen - help

Q

Comments (20)
    Kitchen cabinets will look fantastic painted. The thing to consider when thinking about worktops is the work black granite creates - they show every little watermark, so need a lot of polishing. I discovered this when doing lots of experiments on granite samples! Other thing to bear in mind is granite is porous, so you have to be careful about staining the lighter coloured worktops and granite requires resealing after a few years. Because I'm quite lazy and didn't want any maintenance, plus we are a messy family, I went with Compac Quartz in white mirror, it's practically bomb proof and I haven't managed to stain it yet (3 years on). Comes in tons of colours.
    ...See More
  • Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi guys I am away in the hotel room and hubby just sent me this picture. Tell me what's wrong with it :(

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hello Monica,

Are those connections for the rad too close? I had to scroll to the top to see what else is in the room? ... : 0 The floor design works for the room though doesn't it : ))

• Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello AJ, and thank you :)

Nope and I am not going to divulge just yet to see if you guys can see it or if its just me being a bit pathetic. If no one notice it then I ll take it its just me and move on. Thank you <3

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Monica,

Oh dear! I don't want to go down that route... as I can see at least 4 things that I would want to address... beady eyes and all that... : 0

BUT.... Nothing that can not be fixed in a jiffy.. paper etc... : ))

Monica thanked Amber Jeavons Ltd
  • Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes !! GO ........ paper needs to be sorted currently drying so all the bits of wall can be brushed off it before re sticking. Next .... :)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Gee's Monica... : ) ) Well if you had wanted the little light mosaic tiles evenly spaced there are 5 close together... The tile looks like it dips under the sink slightly.. The skirting to the left of the sinks doesn't look flat and evenly painted.. and the bit of paper on the rad wall has not been cut quite straight.. The grout between tiles is not the same thickness throughout.. Oh and the left sink leg looks like it has a kink in it? : O But otherwise... all that and they are little things.. can be fixed and the scheme you have created works very nicely for the room... Focus on your success and the rest can be ironed out in no time... : ))

My place has a loooooot of things that I focus on that need addressing.. .

: ))

• Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks AJ, all of this things still need doctoring, the skirtings only had one coat so that I can give them the last fresh coat as the last thing. All of the wallpaper cuts and joints are going to get a swipe of a paper mache type liquid glue in the matching colour to disguise those white cut lines and edges where the paper was matched (my own special thing that makes wallpaper walls look amazing). Leg needs turning slightly it is a vintage sink so it has a bit of age to it fixable. The mosaic tiles are hand cut and stuck all shapes and sizes but I do not mind that to much.

I saw that dip as well and hope to God is just an illusion (shading of the pic) but none of this is the Elephant which makes me feel a bit better. It was the first thing I spotted.

• Victoria
    8 years ago
    The border on the toilet wall is closer to the wall than on the radiator side. It is also closer on the sink wall than on the opposite wall with the door.
    Ideally I'd have liked the same size outer border all around the mosaic border.
  • PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Monica,

Ah well...One doesn't really like to pick things apart when it isn't one's own work (or working on the job so to speak).. Yes there is also the spacing and sizing of the outer boarder as it does appear to be narrower on two sides... and position of mosaic band and the diamond tile position between the loo, ideally could have been central to loo base... These are a bigger little fix.. and I didn't want to mention too many... The thing to do is wait till you are physically there and then decide how much it impacts and how noticeable it actually is when in the room.. and whether it must be re-done.. : ))

• Ro Ro
    8 years ago

• Ro Ro
    8 years ago

These are to cheer you up and mark solidarity, Monica and all!

Hundreds of metres of drainage and pipes to take water from the field on high ground right round our land, then take it over same person's land on third side it passes through...

• suehmorg
    8 years ago

Mosaic band is off-centre entirely? Hard to tell from the snap

• Ro Ro
    8 years ago

This looked like the next pic below, when we arrived:

• Ro Ro
    8 years ago

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

That's a lovely view Ro Ro! : ))

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Monica,

How is the loo coming along? What happened when you returned.. I do hope you're feeling better about it, besides when it is how you want it.. You won't even notice that anything might have been amiss.. : ))

• Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Helloooooooo,

Oh lovely girls I am sorry about keeping you but you see I was travelling back from Birmingham on Friday and someone ran into the back of my car on the motorway. I am OK and the car not bad considering. But I was in agony the last few days. The Bathroom is not right there's a few tiles that need lifting and re set, the centre is ok and in the middle but because the room is not a completely straight rectangle it looks thicker in places which it is. My problem is with the mitered left corner. He should have started working outwards from the centre point, that small triangle does my nut in, and its worse at the other end. He marked the wallpaper with a blue thick marker (he assures me it will come off, I know it won't and ordered another roll of wallpaper). He moved the toilet to far to the left exposing 1" strip of missing wallpaper, once we moved the toilet back into place we exposed a gap that needs sorting.... one big hot mess. But I stopped worrying as it will get sorted.

I hope you are all doing ok and RO ... speechless at that view <3

• Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

By the way this Bozo came recommended and I have seen two bathrooms locally tiled by him, perfectly fine jobs but nothing out of the ordinary i.e. just bog standard tiling. Seems that I completely baffled him with a simple pattern and one border... what annoys me most is knowing I would have done a better job, in fact I drilled and set the crucial tiles under the sink's feet for the fear he will ball it up. grrrrrrr

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Oh boy Monica!

Glad to hear you're alright! Gee whizz!!!! When it rains it pours! But sun is on the way... You're right it will all be sorted out.. bit by bit.. Just make sure you're not paying more!!.. and why on earth is that chap wielding a thick marker pen next to any wallpaper! Love it Monica.. Girls and DI(Why) because we're better! : ) )

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Jeez, it's certainly become a saga. You'll know not to use him again. So sorry about your car accident, hope you and your downstairs loo are all mended soon :( You must be due some good news soon my dear.
    Monica thanked mrsmcee74
  • Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

He used the thickest marker I've seen to mark the tiles to be cut ... BLUE. Oh and did I mention the freestyle border design??? when I asked him why he put the mosaic to the skirting board he said I though you wanted it that way, now bear in mind I actually drew the mitered corners on the subfloor for him and wrote the words MITERED PLEASE . You can't make it up honestly

• Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah me neither unfortunately, on the bright side the tiles blend in perfectly and the room feels good with them in it, so that's what's keeping me there. And it smells amazing thanks to my Parks No.3 diffuser LOL

• Victoria
    8 years ago
    They're certainly a good match :-)
    Monica thanked Victoria
  • mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    I hope you're going to bill him for the wallpaper. I bet he has no idea it's was so expensive. Makes me so cross when tradesmen just don't care.
  • Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yes he is paying for the paper as he scratched a section on the opposite wall as well.

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Honestly... It's priceless.. Poor Monica.. I don't think you could have helped him more if you'd tried. That point is true though that mrsmcee mentions.. Some tradespeople think that what they do is just a job and they don't love it or want to achieve the best results they can for the client.. In fact one company I used made jokes about me to their trades people (who were doing work for me) saying to watch out as I'd be standing with binoculars to see what they were up to and check they were doing a good job (the trades men told me).. because I mentioned that I expect a perfect job when I plan works for people..

Did they do a good job.. No.. did they know what they were doing.. no... and did I have to finish it for them.. Yes.. I counted 25 errors! So getting an idea of how proud people are of what they do is another indication of what you might end up with.. : ))

• Ro Ro
    8 years ago

Monica, honey - hope you're feeling OK. What a dreadful saga and what a tile head that chap is... Here is a lovely misty view in a different direction for you

Monica thanked Ro Ro
  • Ro Ro
    8 years ago

OMG I need your Parks No. 3 diffuser! I need it to diffuse my incandescence at what you've been through. Are the planets all colliding or something?

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Hi Monica, has all been resolved?
    Monica thanked mrsmcee74
  • Ro Ro
    8 years ago

Hello mrsmcee! The same thought passed through my mind today and I wondered if I should send Our Monica a message! Then did nothing.

• Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello ladies, I am back. Sorry horrendously busy few months with work. The saga is finished!!! Some of the mistakes have been rectified but some of the bits of flooring had to stay as they are because it all needed pulling out to be honest and start again (can't afford that and Bozo wasn't going to fork out for it for sure). I still need to change a few sections of wallpaper and do the final touch up of glass on the trims. We ended up arguing on the day he came to fix things and he got really angry and abusive... THANK GOD my friend was here. I told him to get out and I had to swallow the damage, I will put it down to experience. I know what I need to do next time I am hiring trades to do a job for me. So I have moved on, I will take pics of it this week sometime.

And I now tend my attention to our lounge. Not sure if a few of you remember my living room thread from last year, well the open fire is being installed in a few weeks, the carrara marble fireplace has been restored (it was horribly stained by smoke and soot) and I have made a large piece of abstract to go in the space in colours that pick up the purple from my velvet sofa. Not sure if I should call it done though... always the danger with me doing things round here. The sofa is more deep blackcurrant, what do you think of this?

• mrsmcee74
    8 years ago
    Oh dear sounds like a horrible, stressful experience. Onwards and upwards etc. Aren't you clever?! That art is fantastic, have been wanting to have a go myself - been looking through Artfinder lately and thinking how some pieces don't look too difficult but haven't done any art for over 20 years. I think it will look great in your lounge, I didn't follow your old living room post but hope you'll let us know how it goes :)
    Monica thanked mrsmcee74
  • minnie101
    8 years ago

Hi Monica. Glad you're ok. What a xxxx that guy turned out to be (that's not a too rude word although perhaps it should be!). Definitely just put it down to experience, I hope you're happy with it though after all your efforts. The art looks fab, you are a lady of many talents! Why not paste a link to the old post here, would be great to see the room

Monica thanked minnie101
  • PRO
    DBV DESIGN
    8 years ago

vraag hulp

• Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you lovely ladies :) here's the link to the old thread Be Warned though its a war and piece affair LOL https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/i-know-this-can-be-a-fabulous-room-i-just-lost-my-way-a-little-dsvw-vd~1286380

• minnie101
    8 years ago

It looks great. Do you have an up to date pic? Did you do the parquet? Your dog is so cute!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sadly not but as soon as the fireplace goes in I will have new pics. And no Parquet has not been done yet however I have heard of a special glue that allows you to stick uncleand pieces down then you can sand and re finish.

As for my treasure he has grown since those pics into an even more delicious young pooch :)

• PRO
    Amber Jeavons Ltd
    8 years ago

Hello Monica, :))

He's a treasure the doggy! Such a shame to hear the down stairs bathroom finished with less than a highlight but think you did the right thing. Nobody wants an abusive argument! Dreadful! Moving on to the living room.. :))

• minnie101
    8 years ago

I'm sure I've heard of that with parquet. Looking forward to seeing the new pics and your dog is lovely. He looks like a canine teddy bear! I love it when dogs seem to smile too!

• Ro Ro
    8 years ago

Oh Monica... Keep forgetting that Houzz stuff is going into Junk mail!

Glad the downstairs loo is all done.

...So, we are going back to the future of the living room! LOL!

How well I remember it. My initiation into a Houzz thread!

Your zingy and sharp - yet somehow mystical - painting above is a lovely blend of the colour elements of what I remember happening in there. I can't go back through it all - too long! Yes, that thread had a few sparky bits, here and zair - didn't it!

Gosh! Are we going to be 'virtually' together for a three-tree Christmas again, this year? How funny.

At my end, I suppose a lot has happened but we are experiencing massively postponed promises by builders etc. and it feels like wading through black treacle trying to get things on the move. We have had to defer most wall painting and the laying of new flooring until the next phase of work and inevitable dust is over.

Grass and clover seeds sown on October 15th are now creating a real strong green layer now, over the scraped earth. (Local maxim is to get the grass sown by September 15th latest.) but the recent mild weather has helped us no end. Pipes are ducting the pure clear water off the land and down over a sloping field directly to a small river.

Our bad luck with brand new electrical goods and water, combined, has continued. It is true that when things go on and on repeating you get to laugh (somewhat manically) when the next one comes round!

Your adorable dog is still SO SO lovely - and he must be such an antidote to the things you have had to face in this recent project. I still appreciate your open and generous spirit that allows us to share your experiences, knowledge and have a great laugh on the way! <3

• Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Aww Ro sorry I missed this reply, sounds like you are making progress would love to see some updated pics. And yes back to the living room for a bit, I am currently warming my toes by the first fire <3 Here's a before and after :) Hope you guys are doing good

• Ro Ro
    8 years ago

Monica! That fireplace has come up really well and looks absolutely great! It gives me some much-needed hope indeed to see order and civilisation in your sitting room.

Here: We pulled away a yucky fake fire surround and found that the aperture is not in the centre of the 5 ft 2" chimney breast! It is mainly over to the left in the pic, behind the plasterboard.

As the chimney also contains a main steel support up to the apex, we can't do too much 'mucking about'... The lovely new enamelled little wood burning stove to be central, will therefore have to sit out in front of the walled-up opening, with the new extended hearth (in the pic) that eats up some of the rug space. Drat! - Plus (and can you actually believe this?) there is a soil pipe coming down the inside of the chimney on the right hand side! A slight protrusion of it (!!!!) was hidden by a totally weird magazine rack clamped to the side of the chimney with a socket on the front for the electric 'fire' to plug into... You can see it pulled away on the right of the chimney. I feel we are living 'The Money Pit' or 'Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House' but without the money problems, I hope...

So now I am going to have to connive some sort of radiator cabinet to encompass and hide the bulge of the pipe and also soundproof it without it looking odd! The shower room that the pipe comes from has only just got up and running, hence why we've never heard it till this week! LOL!

And re my old one-off thread: all the vanities are on the metaphorical bonfire - gone to recycling anyway! Nothing is ready for pics but the red, at least, has GONE!! Hard work... But we are slowly getting somewhere.

So I won't look at my chimney :-( I'll look at your pic instead! <3

• Emma Finlay
    8 years ago

Hello folks! I haven't disappeared, just had whooping cough (yes, seriously!) with a garnish of gastric flu and torn muscles from coughing fits. So that has severely impeded our efforts (hubby's had it too, and it lasts around 3mths so we're not out of the woods yet!) with our new house (which I now describe as semi-derelict before we bought it) and so had no time/mental energy to properly get updated on what's been happening with you guys. Truth be told, I've started reading a few times & either got interrupted (mummy-ness) or fallen asleep, without finishing. I've missed this, but u guys, esp Monica & RoRo have been in my thoughts.

Where to start?! I think I've taken in all that's happened in this thread since I went AWOL but might have missed some finer points. Monica, I'm so sorry to hear what u'v been through, with the RTA & the cowboy tiling / wallpapering on top! (& work always picks worst times to intensify - I just started on a Task Force this week, when shd really still be on sick leave). I mean, a marker?! Seriously?! Isn't it common knowledge / common sense to use a lightly applied pencil? Sounds like u r doing best thing by looking at it as a learning experience. Still, he deserves an honest review somewhere. Anyway, onwards and upwards, I'll look at the lounge link when I've finished this post. BTW I LOVE your artwork. Vivacious, bright and deep - is there an insight there? ;-)

And RoRo, wow you've got a lot on your plate! We've been so frustrated with being held back on our projects by health, but u have taken on a bigger scale of project altogether, sounds like it's verging on municipal! U guys inspire me. :-)

Thinking of starting a thread on our living room, it's the most 'civilised' room of the house so far, but I didn't take the north-facing position into account when I decided on a colour scheme of turquoise, grey and lime. (Doh!) So far I've made some headway on a concept I'm excited by, but it needs some tweaking so it doesn't feel 'cold' with the blue tone of the natural light. Are you up for sharing some of your thoughts on this??? Hope so. :-)

• Ro Ro
    8 years ago

Emma! Hi. Just got up as I couldn't get back to sleep, and was pleased to read this. I had been wondering how you are. ...Not pleased to read about the awful time you've been having health-wise, though. Do hope you are fully better soon.

It is funny how much wider change comes with moving into a new house. 'The universe' seems to sometimes pick the most difficult moments to throw a whole bundle of assorted stuff at us!

I look forward to joining in your thread. You have picked some very interesting colours. Maybe all you need is a few bold splashes of warmth from a colour like, say, deep fuchsia and some gold lined lampshades for sunshine?

I am going to make a hot drink now! :-)

• Emma Finlay
    8 years ago

Ooh! Gold-lined lamp shades! That makes perfect sense! Can't visualise the fuschia jibing, but that doesn't mean you're not right of course! Bear with me for the thread and photos, I'll just go have a tidy-up.... And thank you! x

• Emma Finlay
    8 years ago
    Got my thread posted! All input very welcome!
  • Monica
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hello stylish friends, it seems life tries her best to hinder us all from reaching our decorating dreams, still we will get there I am sure and then we might be on these boards with nothing to do or talk about (that will never happen huh?)

Emma good to see you back and at it (hopefully feeling healthier as well) will go find your thread see if I can offer some advice. Ro I am glad you took the vanities out I am sure once new ones will be in place you are going to LOVE the result and be glad you did, as for the chimney geez what went through that person head putting that soil pipe there? mind boggles xx

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.