rebecca105

Buy new cabinets or paint old?

rebecca105
11 years ago
We recently moved in (3wks so pardon messy desk in photos) and are trying to decide if we should have the cabinets painted white or buy new. If we buy new, I'd like to at least paint white the island and desk, plus add bench seating in octagon nook (think that will bring it together). Bit of guilt in getting rid of good cabinets. But we do expect to be in house at least 10 years. If we paint everything, it's trickier to change the dishwasher location (needs a small cabinet in between because of corner sink) plus the stove top I may want 6 burner. And these cabinets aren't full overlay, so i'm not sure if I'll get the modern look with them. Buying all new stainless steel appliances and will be putting wood floors (haven't decided on type yet) and granite or quartz countertops. All ideas welcome!! If we buy new, we will go with cherry wood cabinets (natural color with maybe a coffee glaze). Is there any concern over cherry cabinets and a diff type of wood floors (I have some pretty hickory picked out). Thanks for your input!! New to website and love it!

Comments (30)

• PRO
    City Cabinet Center
    11 years ago
    I agree with your assessment. If you are going to be in that house for at least 10 years, go for the new cabinetry. Consult with a kitchen designer and make sure you are able to fit your appliances where you want them. There is really no concern with Cherry wood cabinets and a darker stain would contrast well with the parts of the kitchen you plan to keep and paint white. Looking forward to seeing the progress. Good luck.
  • Related Discussions

french look ?

Q

Comments (4)
    We rub a warm cream lacquer into our furniture and cabinetry details to create that aged french country look. You'd have to thin the paint out and test it out in an area to see how much white you want to see. Ask at your paint store for help! It's truly a lovely table!
    ...See More

New sofa style

Q

Comments (81)
    Hi Lisa, nice sofa. I had a red sofa for 10 years and loved it ( though mine was fabric) I've changed the kitchen/ living room and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I gave in and put in a grey leather sectional one and I must say it's much easier to decorate around. Are you in Ireland? Have you heard of the 1933 company, they have very nice suites. Red makes a big statement! Just my 2 cents worth, good luck!
    ...See More

Help me choose a bed for guest room

Q

Comments (30)
    Melissa, when I said footboard, I meant this. It has a portion of the bed that extends beyond the mattress edge. You posted a bed that had something at the foot section of the bed. By platform, I mean a bed that has a hard area and only a mattress on it. Like this. It does not extend beyond the edge of the mattress, but does not have a box spring. It is also lower to the ground. The picture you posted was a high profile bed and box spring. It was not on a typical bed frame. A standard bed frame, used with box spring and mattress looks like this. Virtually invisible and does not extend out beyond the mattress/box spring set. That being said, I'd recommend you get a headboard that is not too big for your space. Neither in height or depth (distance from the wall). I would also not get a mattress frame that extends beyond the size of the mattress. Sorry to have not been clear before.
    ...See More

Paint over or rip out the fitted wardrobe?

Q

Comments (9)
    My first instinct was to move it to a garage/basement for good storage but the more I think about it the more I think I'd prime inside and out with Kilz then apply a couple of coats of white semi-gloss (use good quality paint.. Benjamin Moore) in the same white that you'd use for all the trim in your room. Be sure to lightly sand and 'tack rag' between coats. If the handles are removable by all means remove them prior to painting...fill in holes, sand smooth and paint as previous sentence. Set up inside the way you find most functional. Buy nice new knobs ( maybe crystal?) and, if it is as tall as it appears, have crown molding installed to create a custom look. It is probably far better built than anything else you could find.
    ...See More
  • rockinrobin68
    11 years ago
    We painted ours white, but it didn't work out, so now we are tearing them out and buying new.

We sanded, used primer, and 3 coats of latex, but the paint still chipped a lot. I think you CAN paint, I think we just used the wrong kind of paint. You would need to research what kind that the manufacturers use on their cabinets. Maybe some special enamel? And of course they spray them.

If you can afford it and plan to live there a long time, go with what you really like. It doesn't sound like you really want white cabinets. (I'm ordering new white cabinets in a different style, with those nice, soft-close drawers.) If you get wood, I think it looks better when there is contrast with the wood color on the cabinets and wood color on the floor. good luck!
  • rebecca105
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the input!
  • PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    Hi rebecca!
    Have you considered putting a real backsplash in your kitchen? It can really bring the room together and based on the tile you choose, can add to the more modern feel you're looking for.
  • rebecca105
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We will be taking down wallpaper and putting up backsplash.
  • Sandra Heine_Merchant
    11 years ago
    Go ahead and give yourself the kitchen you want and can afford. And do please remove the existing cabinets carefully and either donate them to Habitat or to someone who can use them and would be hard pressed to purchase new ones.
  • njrealtor
    11 years ago
    The exposed hinges will make the cabinets look dated even if you paint them.
    I would suggest refacing with real wood cabints and internal hinges. New Appliances and countertops.
  • Ben McEntire
    11 years ago
    Paint the cabinets a ebony, then do a little distressing possibly just light scuff sand in certain places then finish with a satin finish, stainless hardware, replace counter tops and go with stainless steel appliances.. would also remove the soffit, add under cab and over cab lighting, maybe toe kick lighting, install can lights in the ceiling...
  • mizjayne
    11 years ago
    Make sure you live with the kitchen for a while to work out what does & doesn't work. Often if you rush into doing it as soon as you move in you find that your imagined idea of how the space works is quite different to the reality.
    I cooked in my husbands horribly dated kitchen for several years before we got married & insisted he replace the appliances before I cooked Christmas dinner for the extended family two years ago.
    When we married last year we asked for contributions to our kitchen fund as gifts as we were merging two houses & had everything. Now a year on, with my stuff in the kitchen I knew exactly how I wanted everything, & knew how the family of 3 teens uses the space & was able to design a great kitchen.
    This weekend we gutted the old kitchen & started building our flatpack cupboards.
    I think it will be so worth the wait & the lengthy planning.
    Good luck
  • jan29
    11 years ago
    If the cabinet boxes are sound, I'd be inclined to go for the paint idea, with some of the doors at the top changed for multi-paned glass.....poss with interior lighting. This will leave budget space for uninhibited choice of granite and will make your green halo glow more brightly ! Changing the counter-tops also allows for a little reshuffling re D-W etc. The lower boxes could be switched with each other to accommodate desired changes. I always shudder when I see HGTV people bashing to pieces often perfectly good cabinets. Have fun with your remodel!
  • PRO
    Perfectly Placed for You
    11 years ago
    If you are happy with your layout, a professional painter will be able to make your current cabinetry look great. It sounds like you are hoping for new appliances and an updated look as well. If the budget allows then go for it. Consulting with professionals will get you there. Good Luck!
  • mizjayne
    11 years ago
    You could also just replace the drawer fronts, doors & bench top if the cabinets are in good condition.
  • PRO
    Distinctive Home Interiors
    11 years ago
    Make sure you will get you're return on the amount you spend on the kitchen when you turn around to sell in 10 years
  • PRO
    7j DESIGN
    11 years ago
    Seems like you are not happy with the kitchen layout. Looking at the kitchen cabinets with bulkhead over them gives a dated look. I would redo the kitchen now and update it and make it your own. If you paint it now you still wouldn't be happy and may end up putting in a new kitchen in a couple of years. Check the octagon nook where I added window seats.
  • ejly
    11 years ago
    Have you lived with a corner sink before? I bought a house with one and thought it was no big deal but over time I have found it unfunctional and annoying. So I ended up tearing it out and redesigning the whole kitchen, starting over from slab and studs just because of that darned sink. However, mine was 2 separate basins not flat-front like yours so maybe you'll feel more kindly about your corner sink, but if you decide you hate it then replacing the cabinets may be the way to go. Post photos when you make the change! Another point to consider is that new paint is 100s of dollars; new cabinets can be 1000s.
  • betsywelch
    11 years ago
    I'd paint the cabinets a dark charcoal [desk and island included],use charcoal, light grey and white glass tile for backsplash, white with swirls of grey granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, pewter handles on cabinets, wood flooring with a grey grain running through it.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    It certainly is a good idea to make the big changes now so that you can enjoy them in the years to come. I agree that if there are layout concerns and you've figured this out already then I would change the cabinets to work with how you want to use the kitchen. Consulting with a kitchen or interior designer will be beneficial here. Donate the existing cabinets after they've been pulled out and make sure you or your contractor removes them gently. IF you decide that the layout works then I would certainly paint them. White may feel a bit stark. Perhaps a white with glazing to tone them down a bit? Anything can be painted and there shouldn't be peeling/cracking if prepped correctly. For example, if the cabinetry is melamine it will definitely call for special prepping. A professional finisher would be a better choice to work with rather than your standard house painter. Find a professional who's painted cabinets and can artfully work with glazing and other techniques to give your cabinets a special look.
  • Leslie Haney
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Rebecca, it sounds like your inclination is to do a near re-do of the kitchen. Two pieces of advise I've learned. 1) Live with the kitchen for a bit to find out what works and doesn't work with the flow etc. 2) Hire a professional kitchen planner!
    At first blush, it looks as though your dishwasher should be moved to either the other side of the sink or move the oven placement (maybe next to the fridge). You have the space to put in a 36" cooktop (5-6 burner) and move the micro so it's not over head the stove.
    You look to have a full sized pantry (behind door?) and also a desk area across from the table that could be incorporated into the kitchen. The desk could be a furniture type built-in buffet with upper shelves etc. (lighting please). The island is screaming to be a coordinating color (darker wood) and counter top enlarged to include a seating area.
    Do you use the trash compactor? Maybe that space can be better used? Also, look into lighting. Drop pendants over the island might be nicer than the high 'canned' lighting. Remember under-counter lighting for tasks.
    I'd say go for the different woods you have in mind - you certainly don't want to be too matchy-match. It makes a great opportunity for a great space to look too vanilla (or designed by a contractor).
    You have a great space and I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job. Go with your instincts.
  • Heidi Kruger
    11 years ago
    I have to say that Leslie has hit it right on. I would live with your kitchen for a while. Decide what you love and what has to change/go... and hire an professional to help. This kitchen has great potential! I have remodeled a few kitchens, my favorite kitchen was the most recent remodel (the hubs and I did most of the work) but we hired a professional and she had SO many great ideas that I'd never thought of and really helped with the lighting. One thing I loved, we put our electrical outlets under the cabinets and not into the backsplash... it was a seamless, beautiful look that I would do all over again. Good Luck, congrats on your new space.
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Nice cabinets. Look like they are very well made. I would paint them White first to see if I like it. Then go from there. Add some brushed nickel knobs and pulls to see how you like it.
  • descimaw58
    11 years ago
    I have seen painted cabinets that really looked great but I'd agree with another respondent that you need to find someone with good experience in doing it, otherwise you won't be happy. New appliances, solid surfaces and some new hardware, and new floor will really give things a lift. Painting would also give it some interest. I'd wait a little on the cabinets unless you are thinking you want to do a total remodel all at once. under-cabinet lighting is a big plus. I used quartz in my kitchen and prefer it over granite. I chose neutral tile with a subtle linen-embossed finish for the floor (my husband didn't want wood or cork) and am using two styles of glass/composite tiles for the backsplash re-do. I know you want things to look great, so just think about it for a little while before jumping in. good luck!
  • PRO
    Clare White - Clockwise Design
    11 years ago
    Lots of comments here. Your head must be spinning. Refacing or painting can be a waste of money or lots of time. It gets back to the basic of what does the inside of the cabinets look like? New everything with low standard cabinet interiors is a waste of money and it shows big time 1 month down the road.
  • yvonnecmartin
    11 years ago
    I second the opinion to live with the kitchen as it is for a while--at least six months including one big dinner party at least. You need to know how the kitchen functions. Looks are second and can work with any configuration.
  • PRO
    Brush Strokes Inc.
    11 years ago
    We paint cabinets all the time. We always change out the hinges for Euro hinges and use hardware and often put glass in a couple of doors to add variety. If we need to make alterations we have any new pieces made up in paint grade wood and paint it in with the rest of the kitchen. However, if you make major changes to the layout and have the budget I would recommend new cabinets.
  • defever
    11 years ago
    Speaking from personal experience, we purchased 11 salvaged kitchen cabinets, supplemented with box store cabinets and painted everything white (that is a very tedious process). We just finished building our house -- it took 3 years and all our money, so the kitchen of our dreams remains in our dreams. However, we were able to lay the kitchen out pretty much like how we envisioned our dream kitchen would be. We've been in the house 2 mos now and already we are discovering that things aren't flowing like we thought they would. So my words of advice to you would be to live with your kitchen for a bit, and don't make any changes until you know what you want and can afford your dream kitchen. Best wishes in your new home!
  • Maggie Chandler
    11 years ago
    get new ones. if you have the budget do all the renos when you first move in, otherwise, you get accustomed to the "look" and dont renovate at a later date
  • alohasas06
    11 years ago
    I love painted white cabinets. We painted ours and they came out great. They are making a come back and then you can splurge on counter tops and I would do a gas stove. Love my LG one.
  • rebecca105
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    If there is one thing I heard from this string, it is to be patient and live in the house for a while. Great input everyone! Thanks so much!
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.