astridmoise

Functional but boring, boring mudroom.

astridmoise
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
We have a very functional mudroom in our new home, but it is soooo boring. No personality whatsoever. I feel like when people walk in from the garage into our house, their only thought is "Next!". When you enter from the garage door, all you see are doors, doors, doors, and doors with very little wall in between. The pic shows the widest walls. Door #1 to your left is the laundry room, Door#2 is the closet door, then a wall with a mirror, Door #3 goes to the rest of the house, another wall with a mirror and hooks, stairs to upstairs, followed by Door#4 to the bathroom. Not a lot of wall space to do much with. Placing a table or bench is not practical as the walls are very narrow and compromises door opening. Hubby does not want to change the antique white paint currently in the mudroom as it is continuous with the walls through the upstairs hall. Have a few ideas, but really would love to hear from the community. Thoughts PLEAASE?!

Comments (40)

• PRO
    ct design studio
    11 years ago
    Well when I first started reading my first thought was paint the walls. If that's out some other thoughts: a more decorative coat rack for kiddos, the wall mirror is so small, how about something taller? Either a full length mirror to check yourself going out the door or an interesting wire piece. I would group the circle mirrors, which are really cute, rather than 3 in a row, colorful rugs (with rubber backing so no tripping), if you are into this look, maybe some decals above the door you see coming in?
    http://www.uppercaseliving.com/
    A little bit will go a long way here. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Total Kitchen Store by Kelly
    11 years ago
    Since you don't have many furniture options, I would say the best you can do is paint. But, I agree with your husband. The paint can stop at the bottom of the stairs just make sure that it compliments the existing paint color that you have. Make it a wow color, but not an over the top color; such as a sage color or blue (as shown in my photo). I would remove the 3 small mirrors and put a larger mirror there. To the left of your door is your most available space and I'd say that's your only place to showcase. Perhaps a small table or chest and then you can decorate that whole wall with a small photo montage of family photos or memorabilia. I'm attaching a photo for inspiration.
  • Related Discussions

Make my room more family friendly

Q

Comments (42)
    Hi Janis Unfortunately I am not in the Boston area - I live in Ireland! Yes there are red items in 3 of the main rooms, the kitchen, sitting room and tv room (library) - although we have pared those back now and it's not as overwhelming. thanks for all your help everyone, i really feel like it's made a big difference and am excited to finish the tv room and then refresh the play room. do you think I should move the piano to the sitting room? and would the jazz painting work in the tv room? speak later, thanks!
    ...See More

Make my room more impressive

Q

Comments (127)
    Lots of ideas....couldn't resist adding my two cents. i copied your photos and did a little cut and paste- it's messy, but hopefully gets the main idea across. i'd put your sofa in front of the large book case, chair by the fireplace, tv on the stand on the wall opposite the fireplace - so you can either look at the fire or the tv. Someone suggested using frames of one color for your photos - an inexpensive way to do that would be to spray paint them all a dark color-black goes with everything. Since your shelves are a medium tone wood, display things that are dark or light so that they contrast against the wood. Limiting your display items pallette to a few values usually helps to unify things. (I think that's why so many people want to paint the shelves or put inserts in the back to help your nice things read more clearly...some get lost). If you want to "splurge" -you may consider having a carpenter make a few solid tall cabinet doors to provide a visual break in the shelving. I'm showing 3 doors - 1 on the right side of the fireplace and 2 on the left to leave two open vertical shelves for display on each side - with things arranged to frame the fireplace as the focal point. To add some height to your big vases, consider stacking some books beneath them. Enjoy experimenting untill you get something you're happy with - good luck!
    ...See More

Utility

Q

Comments (5)
    That is a very nice laundry room that just needs a little texture and color to give it personality. I would paint the walls something like sage green, add some pottery to the open shelves and artwork to the right of the closet or on the wall we cannot see. With your lovely large dog you probably don't want to add a rug, but tile above the counter and a basket or two above or below the cabinets could add additional interest. A green plant on the window ledge would also bring life into the room.
    ...See More

New kitchen grey or cream?

Q

Comments (18)
    I would still do an island. You have the space. I hate having my stove against the wall. You get boxed in and forget about two people working at once. How about stove in island, fridge all the way down to the right? You don't want the fridge to interrupt work space. You will end up w two too-small spaces instead of one nice functional one. We had an island with a downdraft Jenn-air stove-worked quite well for most needs.
    ...See More
  • astridmoise
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow. Both great ideas. Was thinking of an abstract design on a vinyl wall sticker to place directly on the closet door. Will look through the website you suggested to see if I find one I like. Love that blue Kelly, will show it to hubby. Hopefully he can be swayed. Was planning to switch out the simple brass dome to either of these. Both semi-flush mount. Is a small chandelier overkill in this space?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Not overkill, there is always room for a chandelier. I love them! You also appear to have high enough ceilings in there. So as long as all the doors clear below the chandelier, go for it!
  • heidon
    11 years ago
    I really like the photo montage, and the blue paint. Any idea what color that blue is? Also love the chandelier? Where did you get those images?
  • bwenk
    11 years ago
    I was thinking using a design on the walls as well. Keep the existing paint and use a stencil with a lighter color to add texture also like the idea of using the chandelier that u posted (on right). Maybe you could even add bee board on lower half, keep paint color on upper and then group mirrors as someone earlier posted and I agree that a wire look on that larger wall would look nice.maybe even a coat rack or long winding iron rod that runs the wall and holds coats.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Heidon, that photo is from Pottery Barn: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/oversized-wood-gallery-frames/?pkey=caccessories-ledges-shelves. Sherwin William's "St. Bart's" or "Mediterranean" would be equivalent. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family//. You could also bring the photo in and see if they can color match it.
  • smarty88
    11 years ago
    How about a collection of items on the walls and you can add to it as you find interesting pieces? You could do colorfully framed mirrors, clocks, letters, plates, whatever suits your style... hang them everywhere there is wall space in the mudroom- will attach pictures in a moment for examples. That way you can leave the walls the same color, maybe add a colorful rug in the middle (what are the dimensions of the floor space?) and an interesting light fixture from the ceiling. If you want to achieve visual interest, I think this would do it.
  • smarty88
    11 years ago
    examples of what to put on the walls, but more up and down than these pictures since you have long, narrow spaces.
  • smarty88
    11 years ago
    You could hang anything really
  • smarty88
    11 years ago
    I like that idea Carolyn- if the goal is to achieve personality, and get rid of the boring, that would certainly do it. :)
  • PRO
    KSID Studio, LLC
    11 years ago
    I believe the right accessories could help you achieve personality.
    An indoor outdoor rug would add color and texture. Since all of the doors chopping up the space you should add a large scale piece of art next to the door. (tall and narrow) or a series of three smaller pieces in a column. A wonderful frame can add architectural personality here. This will draw your eye to some thing great instead of all of the doors. Can you find beautiful hooks instead of the white ones? Ballard Design has some fun message boards that are hung with ribbon to add some fun. They also have a wicker umbrella stand that would add texture and warm things up. With just a little TLC you will see a big difference.
  • lyvia
    11 years ago
    I would paint a couple of large graphic sheaves of wheat on the walls, impressionistic fashion, meaning interrupted by the white millwork, but spilling up onto the ceiling. Then an area rug with a black and tan pattern, maybe an animal print, and an "outdoor" looking wrought iron light overhead.
  • PRO
    Sage Lane Realty
    11 years ago
    Carolyn, I thought of that too! If you can't paint the walls, then paint the doors! Make the mud room playful.
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    Paint all the doors black!
    This is the perfect spot to add some drama!
    Wider view of hall with black doors · More Info

Front Entry with Black Doors · More Info
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    If I entered your mud room, I'd be thinking it was the cleanest, most well kept, beautiful mud room I'd ever seen. I love it just the way it is. I would take down the mirror with wood as it doesn't add anything to the room & is distracting. The white wood with hooks under the mirrors, I'd paint black, to repeat the black mirror frames.
  • astridmoise
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the suggestions. Got permission from hubby to paint doors. Since he is pretty conservative with his design choices, was thinking a mocha. Also since i have two small kids, age 4 and 2. I can only paint at night with a fast drying paint so that it is dry by the time they are ready to go in the AM. For that reason, plan on just painting the panels on the door. Something quick and easy which will give some impact. Going to change the lighting fixture - already ordered from amazon. question now are the walls. original pics just showed u two of the three wall spaces i had - those walls are as you are coming into the house. This additional picture is the wall adjacent to the garage door. Garage door is in the center Bathroom to the left and laundry rm to the right. Still not sure which to make the focal wall. Would love to keep the mirrors as well as the mirror/mail and key collector. Which wall to put them on?
  • astridmoise
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Love the black, but hubby would hate it. Also, we inherited this house painted with true pottery barn colors - taupes and beiges. I think the black would be a bit out of sync with the rest of the house. See my previous submission about the mocha.
    j222b - thanks for the compliment. Makes me feel better. Sigh...I just dont know what to do about the wooded mirror. I bought that piece in 2000 and have been trying to work it into every place i have lived in since then and it never works. its useful for key storage and mail storage, but it never works - no place to put it, clashes with other pieces, etc. maybe its time to retire it.
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    A dark mocha colour on the doors would look fabulous! Go for it, though I would advise painting the whole door, not just the panels, as that would make a really busy looking space, in my opinion. (I am assuming by panels you mean that you planned to paint just the raised panel portion on each door, as opposed to the whole door)
    Keep the trim colour as is, it will work just fine with a dark mocha!
    And as for that quirky little piece you can't find a home for, maybe it is time it found a new home! Yes, retire it.
  • astridmoise
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The whole door, huh? Maybe I can paint one each evening until they are all done. This is a new door hook i found which i think will complement the space better.
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    Yep, the whole door! Count up all those little panels....what do you think will be easier, taping each of them off so you get perfectly straight lines, or painting the whole door and just making sure you don't get paint on the floor? (though ideally, I'd pop the doors off one by one and paint them in the garage, so you don't mess up the hinges and the existing trim)
    :0)
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    Painting the entire door is definitely the way to go. But leave the inside of the doors white.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    astroidmoise. The black on the wood is a good match for the black frames, the hooks however should be gold like the door knobs or black like the frames (the hooks here look silver tone). I hope you leave the doors classic and classy white...you have a beautiful new home...hope it's not ruined by tacky paint jobs.
  • PRO
    Interiors Unleashed
    11 years ago
    You are already headed in the right direction, your mirror choice and your hooks are fine. You could paint as you could use it to warm up the space and make it inviting when you enter.

A nice coat stand where you have the wall mirror with the planter/shelf would add interest and be functional. An umbrella stand would not take up much space. A rug would help bring color and texture to the area. A plant or two would be nice, if you have enough light, even if they sit at the edge of the steps or on the steps.

If you add more to the walls, try to find things that help bring texture and work with the colors you already have. Pictures or paintings that have depth will make the space seem larger. Always be aware of what you reflect when you hang a mirror, especially what you will see in it when you enter the space from outside or come down the steps.
  • TanCalGal
    11 years ago
    Just read your question about what wall should be a focal point. Any wall that you see when you enter a room is technically a focal point for that person. So the areas across from: coming out of the bathroom, coming out of the laundry area, coming out of the garage, coming out of the house, coming down the stairs are all important areas. However, I think your floor tiles and doors (& new light fixture) are gorgeous enough. The wood key holder will be very cute somewhere...don't retire it, keep trying it various places.
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    Paint the doors. Great idea.
    Classic Coastal Colonial Renovation - the Mudroom · More Info

Steven Gambrel Time and Place · More Info
  • sharleeg
    11 years ago
    Ok, well, hmm. I don't agree with painting out the doors in a dark color myself. Yes, that would be different than what is there now and maybe less "boring" but you've got a room full of dark doors! I think you will soon be tired of that!
    What area of the country do you live in? The reason I ask is to understand what you might do in the mudroom and what might be hanging in the closet.If you live in northern climes i imagine it would be helpful to have a chair or bench to put off and on heavier winter boots and shoes and you would have heavier jackets and hats, gloves, etc in that closet?
    Depending what's actually in the closet... here's an out of the box idea. It may or may not work for you but an idea to consider.Take the doors off the closet and build a bench or place one in there. Build cubbies all above and below to store items, such as shoes, hats, boots, light jackets.Then in that one corner you have, put a tall coat rack to hang coats.
    Keep your mirrors or add a larger one. Consider framing out an area to use chalkboard paint. Use this for messages for family or reminders about events, shopping items, etc.
    Use a colorful, sturdy rug to get your color punch.
    Enjoy!
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    Certainly painting the doors in one dark color was not what I had in mind when I suggested painting them. I envisioned them in turquoise and orange and yellow and fuschia or in subtle colors, but multiple colors, one per door.
  • smarty88
    11 years ago
    I vote for the black doors... my husband has always been a fan of black things in the house and I've always fought him on it- probably because the black washer and dryer we purchased 7 years ago always looks dusty. :) Black definitely brings the drama and it will make those 3 mirrors really pop. Maybe one Red door? It will make people wonder why that one is Red.
  • ana474
    11 years ago
    I would not paint the doors dark unless you planned on painting all the doors in the house, just my opinion of course. I tend to think doors and casings in a home should all match from the outside of the door. Visually to me, if I walk from one room with dark doors then to the rest of the home with light doors I would think it looked like some doors were not painted yet to match. Maybe I am the odd one here I don't know. I would add some interest with a rug you fall in love with, a nicer coat rack, maybe a small colorful stool or very small ottoman of some kind under the coat rack if you have space and I like the lighting fixture on the right that you chose. Just add interest with accessories instead of painting doors.
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    I Liked Charmean's and Carolyn's view, I feel having something Mocha or Black wont look good , should be some fun colours as in images attached by Charmean , paint the white walls and doors and leave the main door White like this .
  • Judy Benson
    11 years ago
    I know you want to keep the wooden mirror so you could group all of the mirrors on one small wall to make a bigger impact. I think alone they are just kind of wimpy.
  • PRO
    ct design studio
    11 years ago
    I like the new hooks you chose and of the 2 lighting fixtures, definitely the drum. As fun as chandeliers are, I wouldn't do one in this space. The multi colored door idea is also a cute idea, but I get the feeling it's not jiving for you. I think painting the walls mocha would give you the change you need and would be easier for you than painting the doors. You could just paint 1 wall an evening. Please don't paint the doors black, as classic as it is, I think the grouping of doors you have, all in black would create an Alice in Wonderland/black hole effect. If you like the little wooden piece with the mirror, don't get rid of it. It just needs to be grouped somehow instead of hanging by itself. Pair it with a coat rack, umbrella stand, message center. Ballard designs has great items as does One Kings Lane. Create a little drop zone, place to hang coats, stash boots, place to leave a little message that you ran out to the store or tell your kids to have a great day at school.
  • astridmoise
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I've been giving some thought to sharleeg's idea of just removing the doors from the main closet and placing a bench some hooks and cubbies in that space. This would break up the door overload we have there and save us from yet another paint job. I would go ahead and switch out the light fixtures, the hooks, add the umbrella stand underneath the wood mirror, and add a rug - already have a super cute and colorful one in mind. Thanks for all your suggestions. This has been great, I look forward to sending the after pictures in the next 30 days or so.
  • lauriels
    11 years ago
    I also have 4 doors in my mudroom ! I just started to re do mine. I am painting the walls a blue grey, ( benjamin moore ,rushing river) and the trim and doors a creamy white, putting in oak hardwood floors, a really cute light fixture from pottery barn, decorative switch plate covers, and decorative hooks from etsy. They have alot of nice things and inexpensive. I am using as my accent colors red and some yellow. You can get a cute bench pretty inexpensive with a cushion. You could put a nice mosaic mirror on the wall. or get some crates and spray paint them and hang them on the wall and use them as storage. Home goods stores have cool baskets for storage also, and a colorful area rug. Have fun with it. I cant wait til mine is finished. good luck
  • camillealbert
    11 years ago
    I agree with taking the door off the closets and putting up pretty shelves. Also you could take off the door to the house. We did that in our mud room and it made it seem much bigger and more part of the. House. Depends on what it opens to though. Ours is to a hallway to the kitchen.
  • camillealbert
    11 years ago
    I agree with taking the door off the closets and putting up pretty shelves. Also you could take off the door to the house. We did that in our mud room and it made it seem much bigger and more part of the. House. Depends on what it opens to though. Ours is to a hallway to the kitchen.
  • PRO
    Laura of Pembroke
    7 years ago

Check out these lights we used in a recent mud room project... they are awesome! Here's the link to view:

https://www.lauraofpembroke.com/collections/memmer-model-home/products/hanging-globe-3-light-chrome-pendant?variant=22550592772

the color in this mud room are SW Alabaster for the shiplap walls.

Shiplap Mud Room · More Info

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.