2helphrey

How do I fire my contractor?

2helphrey
10 years ago
I am midway through a bathroom remodel and have paid for all work as it was completed. But the contractor's work thus far raised several red flags and his explanations and dismissals only made me more uneasy. So I paid a structural engineer to review the work remaining and to specify what needed to be done to insure it will meet code before proceeding with the next phase (drain installation, hot mopping, tiling.) I sent the report to the contractor with a request to meet with the person who would be doing the work to be sure he understood. Unfortunately, the plumber he brought refused to read the engineer's drawings or notes, insisting I explain them all to him and saying it didn't make sense.
I persisted until he said he understood, but still didn't want to do it this way because it was "unnecessary."
So, today I told my contractor I did not want to proceed as I have lost confidence in his work. I have downloaded an Unconditional Waiver from the CSLB, but now the contractor refuses to "waste anymore time" speaking to me in person and is threatening me with legal action unless I pay him an additional $6000 to walk away. He says he hasn't paid all his guys yet for work done more than two weeks ago, even though I have paid him every installment due to date.
I have remained cordial throughout, but need to terminate this relationship. Suggestions?

Comments (16)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.