jessiemulfaul

contractors and architect

jessiemulfaul
5 years ago

Hi all,

I currently have an architects plan for a new rear extension. The architect has put it to tender with two builders. The first figure came in at €80,000. This outlined every single cost in a detailed report. Unfortunately it’s way above the budget i specified to the architect (€60,000).

The second builder has come back with €60,000. I asked the architect for a price breakdown as before but his response was:

“The contractor has agreed to do the revised works as per my tender drawings. He maintains that this is still very tight from his perspective. The figure therefore is a lump sum to cover all works.”

My concern is that

a) The job will go over budget

b) the job won’t be completed to good quality.

My question is how can I be guaranteed any of the above? I asked for a reference but I feel like the architect might just want this project closed and finished as we started discussions about this last year. Any advice or opinion is much appreciated.

Comment

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.