maryrb

Suggestions on how to fix this disaster?

maryrb
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I posted this earlier and accidently deleted it before reading your thoughtful suggestions. I recovered my favorite chair and ottoman with fabric suggested by designer. Oh, no! A very expensive design disaster. Competing patterns and color are terrible. Where should I start? Toss the chair, ottoman, rug? Paint walls?

Comments (77)

• myrns
    10 years ago
    Agree with yarkerr that the chair & ottoman should change places with the rocking chair. With a floor lamp behind or beside it would be a nice reading corner by the window. I like the chair fabric and the style. It looks very English to me. English sitting rooms mix Persian carpets with plaid & flowered upholstery quite freely. The rocking chair is more suitable in a bedroom but if you keep it in that spot, I would add a large green plant to the corner. Good luck getting rid of the lazy boy. I bet it's the alpha male's favourite! If you want to keep the red/beige chair in its current location for TV viewing, could you remove the coffee table (which looks quite small) and use the ottoman with a tray on top instead?
    maryrb thanked myrns
  • maryrb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LOL! This has been wonderful. Thank you all. I feel much better about my chair. I really DO love it. Am going to move furniture around as suggested and repost. THANK YOU!
  • Related Discussions

Please help. I need suggestions for exterior redesign of house.

Q

Comments (15)
    hello bonnielynn75 and THANK YOU! your comment put a smile on my face re the red on the interior side of the door. It IS red on the inside as well, he insisted on that when we purchased it. no one here has it red on the inside and I wanted it to be white on the inside. do you see my dilemma?;) I agree with everything you are saying, I suppose this is the reason why so far I was not 100% sure about the black for the door either, although I like black...Agree, there is too much wall and I find the house to be looking a bit 'bland' and would like to change that. I LOVE shutters, but read somewhere that you never put shutters on wide windows, so got unsure about that, too...but perhaps just the one as I stated earlier. Would the color on that shutter be the same as the door (if I ever settle on a door color)? Unfortunately window boxes are not an option as we have quite a few cats and they may be used as litter boxes;) please don't tell me to get rid of the cats;)... Regarding the stoop (entrance) : we need to add another step (made of cement) on top of the existing step: it was removed when the new door was fitted. We were thinking of putting slate tiles or something dark to match the roof, if that makes any sense.... It is porous cement so unsuitable for painting, I think. What place in Ireland did you visit, we are close to the Irish Sea in the country surrounded by sheep;)...
    ...See More

How should I finish my fireplace?

Q

Comments (15)
    I'd definitely put some kind of stone on the walls, all the way to the ceiling. I think the gas fireplace that you have is really cute, but might look at a stone slab on the floor instead of the mat that is there now. I'd take stone inside of that alcove as well, whether matching or contrasting. You can still hang art above, on top of the stone. It would really make the room!
    ...See More

New house - fixings blended!

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks Judy. I know oak doors and skirting boards will still have to be cleaned but I think there is a bit of leeway with dusting them - dust doesn't show quite so quickly! My windows havnt been finalised yet at all so I have plenty time, i just don't want to feel like im in a timber showroom with oak window frames, skirting, doors and floors when in my living room plus when standing in the hallway there will be the stairs (paint and oak steps), banisters, handrails, and the skirting and surrounds of four doorways. Any other way of getting around it? Must I have skirting boards??!
    ...See More

need some kitchen design help!

Q

Comments (11)
    I love the tall units but you need to go straight to the ceiling to prevent dust and dirt settling on the top. I would put a row of small up and over cupboards along the very top as an option. Very handy for unsightly bulky items. I don't like the end open shelves by sink very dated but what you could do is a long double shelf all the way along the island with a wine racking either side for balance vertically. I think shelving each side of the sink would be better. You have a lot of cupboards but no deep drawers which are highly valued these days. Good selling point. I Like your colour suggestions... The little Greene paint company have a lovely grey so does farrow and ball. Where are you sourcing your Quartz and what flooring? Do your ovens have easy open shelf doors ..handy as they retract so don't get in the way as you take food out..Neff offer best ones. If you want a better balance of tall you could always do fridge freezer one side and pull out pantry on the other with racking. Then on sink side don't go all the way along the wall just have it as centred space so you can pull out larder doors. On your island you will need your bin as this'll be prep area? What is the room opposite tall cupboards? Need the island to look good from that side as that is what you will see. Hope of help. I'm embarking on the same thing and have spent hours and hours researching!
    ...See More
  • myrns
    10 years ago
    Looking forward to pics with furniture moved around. Have fun!
    maryrb thanked myrns
  • maryrb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok. Moved furniture around. Grabbed chair from another room. Moved paintings. Large gap on one wall though. Psyched to paint room grey. Any specific colors of grey? Will start looking for fabric for couch. I love you!!!
  • maryrb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Not loving picture on left. Too much red?
  • maryrb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    will keep trying. Thank you everyone! I'm not as over whelmed. It is NOT a disaster. It is a work in progress!
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    Ok here goes my take; I don't need everything to match perfectly and I love your stuff. I like the picture on the fireplace, I like your rug, new chair and sofa. However I would have the sofa face the fireplace with a sofa table behind it. I would wall mount the television to the left of the fireplace (less glare) and you would have better access to what appears to be a sliding door. Low shelves on either side of fireplace would be nice The designer chair could be angled on the right side of the fireplace. In order to tie things in a little better I would paint the walls a creamy white and add creamy pillows to the sofa possibly braided in the colour taken from the designer chair. I agree recliner should go and you will need a coffee table as well as more substantial looking lamps. Since your windows lack moldings it would be nice to add simple rods (mounted as high as possible) with some plain ready made drapes from somewhere like Restoration Hardware. Great Room!
    maryrb thanked User
  • trish nelson
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of moving the couch facing the fireplace too. Sofa table behind. Two chairs stay on the sides of the fireplace and good size coffee table, square maybe to equal it all out. TV can stay where it is that way the conversation circle can see the FP, look out and walk out those doors or watch tv. The talk of patterns, the brick on the FP seems like it is also competing, maybe paint that out? I like pictures moved too. Looks great. Good luck!
    maryrb thanked trish nelson
  • trish nelson
    10 years ago
    Also, some curtains on that big window to soften it and to close when the light hits the tv. And maybe even a desk behind the sofa. That way you can pull around the chair when an extra seat is needed.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I would maybe move the giant red lady pic to a hall....move the sofa facing the fireplace. Work from there.
    maryrb thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • PRO
    Divine' Interiors
    10 years ago
    Add panels ceiling to floor, larger lamps, throw pillows with a solid throw. Add paint on your ceiling not sure of wall color that will help with it not choping the room down if budget allows.
    maryrb thanked Divine' Interiors
  • marniejo
    10 years ago
    I love the artwork to the right of the sofa. You could try swapping that one with the painting of girl. That would help bring red over to that side of the room.
    maryrb thanked marniejo
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    This will be a fun and popular discussion:) You'll get lots and lots of varying opinions, so hang in there with us and consider all suggestions, trying the ones you like. Also, these design dilemmas can hurt your feelings a bit too, so try to not let that happen. When you're all done, I bet you'll be very happy you went through the process.
    I think the TV is in a good spot and I'm guessing you like having the sofa facing it even though the best place for the sofa might be facing the fireplace with a sofa table behind it. If you want the sofa where it is, how about moving the new chair directly opposite where it is now (sort of where the rocker now is, but closer to the TV credenza), angled into the room. Then, I see you added a nice wing chair. I'd pull it into the room a bit more and turn it more the same direction as the fireplace faces. Assuming you plan to get a new rug at some point, I'd just remove the current rug altogether for now - it's just fighting with everything. I kind of liked the lady art propped on the fireplace as before without the new art. Now, if you try that furniture arrangement and it doesn't work, another idea might be to leave the sofa where it is but slightly angle the sofa toward the fireplace, less than 45 degrees and place a sofa table behind it. You could angle it by taking the far back corner back toward the sliding door a bit. That would widen the furniture arrangement a bit. Then, I'd leave the new chair where it is and pair it with the ottoman. With the sofa angled, the new chair and ottoman would really show and not be kind of hidden as they are now. With the angled sofa, I'd move the wing chair to the left side of the TV, just barely angled into the room. Once again, I'd remove the rug altogether. I think I'd also remove the rocker from the area - it's just too small. As far as spending money, after you figure out the best furniture arrangement, I'd recover the sofa first. The room will be fine without a rug for now.
    maryrb thanked Ann
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Sorry for being so long winded:) By the way, I think the wing chair has great possibilities in the room and the stripes are nice with the new chair fabric.
  • mkenny1
    10 years ago
    The new chair and ottoman are beautiful! I agree that the rug should go -- and a solid one should replace it. The wall color should be more of a putty color, picking up a tone from the new chair. If the rug and walls are more of a neutral putty color, you shouldn't have to recover the couch at all. The neutral colors would hold the room together. I also agree that the painting is charming and very lovely! An off-white or white fireplace brick would really set it off and be a beautiful focal point!
    maryrb thanked mkenny1
  • mkenny1
    10 years ago
    PS -- good luck getting rid of the "man chair" recliner! Yes, the room would look better without it.
    maryrb thanked mkenny1
  • myrns
    10 years ago
    Congrats on getting the recliner moved out! I like your new furniture & art work placement. It really pulls one into the room and looks so comfortable. I would switch the chairs so the striped one is on the same side of the room as the patterned sofa. As it is, there are two similar but different swirly patterns side by side. By doing that you would have to switch the art work too. Your fireplace appears to be wood burning. If it is, It is not a good idea to put a valuable or valued piece of art above it. Over time the heat from the chimney can damage it. I bet you have some glasswear and/or candles elsewhere in the house that would look good on the mantle.
    maryrb thanked myrns
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    I'm thinking the two large pix need to flank the slider if the spaces there are larger than the ones either side of the FP. Put the little donkey/zebra guy over the FP mantel. Wall mount TV to left or right of FP (your preference) or put it on a smaller credenza that will fill the space. Turn the rug the other way, sofa facing the FP, hassock 18" from it and the two chairs facing each other and flanking the sofa. This would eliminate the large piece of TV furniture which I'd sell on Craig's List and use the $$ for a sofa table behind the sofa and some new lamps. This chart should guide you in purchasing them. You may be able to use your current tables - tall one by the wing chair and shorter one with the other one - away from the sofa side of each chair. Check the measurements with the chair arms and then get lamps that will fit within the 58-64" range total. Get a tray for the hassock so the sofa guests will have a place to put down their glass, etc.
    maryrb thanked decoenthusiaste
  • ssmay56
    10 years ago
    I would paint the fireplace. Look at the picture posted earlier today under designs. The woman showed before and after. Se used yellow. I think an off white would soften your room
    maryrb thanked ssmay56
  • marniejo
    10 years ago
    For paint, since you are considering grey, look for a grey with warm undertones. Many would be too cold for the room, but there are great options that border on being taupe or beige. BM revere pewter is a beautiful example, but might still be a little dark for your room, worth looking at though.

You really do have some beautiful pieces, it will be fun to see the transformation.

I saw this picture and though of your desire to have book cases flanking the fireplace. You could have the fireplace covered with wood/trim to tie in.
    Urban Townhome Living Room · More Info
    maryrb thanked marniejo
  • weatherwife
    10 years ago
    This is throwing a wrench into things:) but is that the TV on the piece of furniture opposite the couch? I would love to see your couch on that side (not in front of the window) possibly with 2 chairs flanking a small table in front of the window where the couch was. That way, you would not only have great seating arrangement with the chairs facing for couch, but it would increase the light in the room. The couch blocks light. The chairs would create a lovely place to sit and look out.
    Mount the TV over the fireplace. I love the art work, and there is some negativity associated with televisions over fireplaces..but that would concentrate the focal points to one place, and viewing would be enhanced. My TV is over my fireplace and we love it!
    maryrb thanked weatherwife
  • weatherwife
    10 years ago
    Forgot to add that I would definitely have built in cabinetry installed on either side of the fireplace. Include shelves and storage at the bottom with doors. Family photos on the shelves, other things hidden away behind the doors. It would fill those corners and be gorgeous and functional.
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I hope we haven't scared maryrb away - this is a good discussion!
    maryrb thanked Ann
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    New arrangement better. Here's more 2 cents (you're gonna be rich!) I like all suggestions in Marci4's "missive." No offense, but the fireplace does make the room look old and tired, so painting and adding built-ins would give it some class and add value to your home.

As for suggestion of placing TV to the right or left and facing the sofa to the frplc wall, that woudl be my instinct too. But is there enough space in this particular room? Still, I'd add built-ins and live with the giant screen, like most of us have to these days. (big sigh.....)

Re: artwork, you know the old adage "good art doesn't match the sofa" so go with what you like, placing it where it attracts YOUR eye.

RE: GREY. It seems de regueur these days. I can't seem to read one Houzz discussion without someone suggesting grey somewhere. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but seriously Houzzers? Let maryrb choose her new sofa fabric, rug and other items first. In two years, it will be another color.

BTW - LOVE the chair/ottoman and new fabric!
    maryrb thanked km kane
  • maryrb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kind friends...played with the ideas I could act on immediately.
    Couch facing fireplace doesn't work. The family room area has an 8" drop down from center hall. Room is 13'x19'. Sliding glass door to patio does not work( it was painted shut in a previous hiccup). It is an eastern exposure and does not get direct sun light. Direct sun exposure comes from two western windows behind cabinet with TV. This is just some background info.

3 Alpha males (ages 16,17 and 58) insist TV stays where it is and that couch centered on sliding glass window is only way it looks ok. Did try angling couch, but it is very large and looked terrible when you approached from other areas of house. It was a great idea!!!
    So here are today's pictures
    Attached are pictures of various angles. As you can see I have eclectic art "collection" heavily laden with cat images.
    Trying to work with stuff I have around house.
    Anyway, I just wanted to update all you wonderful thoughtful people who have been so kind to offer advice and encouragement. Thank you Houzz family.
  • maryrb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No, I wasn't scared away! Been working on everyone's ideas and trying to figure out how to post pictures accurately picturing the room. I am overwhelmed by the support from this community.
  • trish nelson
    10 years ago
    I got one of those at home.... the adamant 'couch to tv relationship' men. We ended up with a sectional :)
  • trish nelson
    10 years ago
    You know you could keep the couch and the tv where they are. Flank the tv with the two comfy chairs. Put the rocking chair next to the couch, fp side. Put in the bookcases, and paint the fp to match...... good luck!
  • mrdesignguy
    10 years ago
    Great potential here. Remove all furniture. Paint walls light grayish neutral. For fireplace, recover in stone tile, lose mantel, hearth and screen. Mount tv on fireplace and arrange new furniture accordingly. Choose sofas with cleaner lines and solid fabrics and small to medium scale accent chairs and tables. A solid rug will help ground your furniture. Pick window coverings and accent pillows to add bling.
    maryrb thanked mrdesignguy
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    I like the art you hung over the new chair. OK, so sofa and TV stay where they are - I figured that would be the case and I think that can work out fine:) Can the rug be rolled up and removed? I love the wing chair in the room but I don't like it used as a "pair" with the new chair due to the style and height difference so I'm trying to figure out a way they can each occupy the room as "singles". The way they are currently flanking the fireplace treats them like a pair. That's why I wondered how it would look to bring the new chair down next to the TV angled into the room, on the side of the TV credenza that is furthest from the fireplace. It looks like that chair has an attractive back so I think it would look nice angled like that and that spot would really "show it off". Then maybe the wing chair could go where the new chair currently is so those two chairs are no longer a pair flanking anything in the room but are opposite one another. I sure liked the lady art on the mantel as she originally was.
    maryrb thanked Ann
  • maryrb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Working hard on limited budget. These are all fabulous ideas! Really appreciate the emotional support offered here. Alpha males at home have been very hard on me:)
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    Do you, by any chance, have a mate for the wing chair living in the house somewhere? A matching pair of those at the fireplace would be pretty awesome:)
    maryrb thanked Ann
  • maryrb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ann-I can remove the rug once it gets a little warmer here. Room is a weird extension off the back of a traditional custom built center hall colonial. It is drafty and the propane fireplace does not produce much heat. We have never understood why the room was designed with a drop down floor. House was built in 1985. Perhaps it was the beginning of the mini-mansion 10-11' ceiling faze? IDK:) Will try chairs as suggested.
  • myrns
    10 years ago
    I love your colorful carpet and can see what looks like another persian style one on your hallway raised floor. I would be very reluctant to part with either or both. To me these carpets have character and make a room interesting.
    maryrb thanked myrns
  • maryrb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    myrns-My house is filled with lots of great stuff. But, it all needs to be pulled together. It's like a garden...never seems to be finished.
  • maryrb
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Alpha male assumes position for Beatles 50th! Still moving furniture around.
  • lucille1951
    10 years ago
    I love the painting over the fireplave...I have the same one....and I like your newly covered chair and ottoman. My fireplace brick is similar to yours and I have toyed with the idea of whitewashing the brick to lighten things up but may end up staining the brick in a shade of brown. I recently painted my walls Behr earthnut. my sofa and chairs are in the brown family and I have added some teal accents. I like the pop of red from the picture. ...it gives you something to think about. I like in some of the photos that other upholstered cairs have been added. it provides some additional weight that I think your room needs.
    maryrb thanked lucille1951
  • Ann
    10 years ago
    That's great for TV viewing, but you might need to convince those guys that a line of tables on one side of the room and a line of seating on the other might not be the best arrangement:)
    maryrb thanked Ann
  • weatherwife
    10 years ago
    Wonderful new arrangement!! When I suggested your moving the sofa to the other side I did not realize that you had 2 windows on that wall. Your arrangement is much better than what I had suggested. You are on your way to the perfect room. It is already beautiful.
  • myrns
    10 years ago
    maryrb - Reading your comment about your room being drafty and seeing the snow outside your patio door makes me wonder if insulated window coverings may warm it up a bit. There can be a lot of heat loss through glass. You may not need blinds or drapes for privacy but they would make the room feel cozier at night instead of having big black spaces on two walls.
    maryrb thanked myrns
  • PRO
    HomeScapes Home Staging San Diego
    10 years ago
    I still think there is too much going on with all the patterns in the room - I like the art but I'd pick one or two of the patterns and not have the rest - replace whatever you can take out or recover with a solid color and just use texture to add dimension - maybe another fabric on the sofa and a new rug - honestly, the only thing that I'm really not a fan of in the room is the chair and ottoman but maybe they could look completely different with the couch recovered - good luck, can't wait to see what you end up doing!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Maybe you should designate this as the 'man cave' and focus your decorating changes on the rest of the house. Painting and arranging the art you love would be the only effort I'd expend here where the guys are content.
  • stuntchick
    10 years ago
    just slipcover the couch in a nuetral . It's the couch that doesn't match. Paint the fireplace . drapes with rod to the ceiling. Queen size flat sheets make wonderful curtains on a budget and already hem on one side, you just have to make a rod pocket. easy diy.
    maryrb thanked stuntchick
  • cindyguent
    10 years ago
    I also love mixing patterns and do love your carpet. Agree that all tables lined up is not a great look. You have a lot of interesting art and the good basics already. I think the two main things here would be slipcover sofa in a cream color to stop the competing patterns and choose a nice warm, lighter wall color. See where you stand then and how everything goes. Carpet can be swapped out later for solid if still too much pattern. Keep accessories (pillows, throws) more solid but add pops of color to tie in. Then you can address fireplace if needed (maybe not), window coverings, lamps and art arrangements.
  • janragna
    10 years ago
    Hi Maryb,
    I like your rug and agree the simplest thing is to put a solid slip cover on the couch. Pull the color from the rug. Leave your other pattern chairs alone.
    Don't even consider painting the room in grey! Look at the snow outside. Keep your warm wall color. I also like your chairs by the fireplace. Nice look and you can have a quiet conversation there when the TV monster is out of the room
    maryrb thanked janragna
  • simplicitythyme
    10 years ago
    If you do end up putting the tv over the fireplace, maybe you could use the tv stand as a sofa table, to save the expense of buying one. We have a sectional because I also live in a houseful of men who want to recline, lol.
  • PRO
    Angela Todd Studios | Portland, OR
    10 years ago
    Why not let the designer finish the room for you? I like what she started.
    maryrb thanked Angela Todd Studios | Portland, OR
  • Linda Parides
    10 years ago
    No keep the chair, change the rug and Sofia , and work with the colors of the chair!
  • Linda Parides
    10 years ago
    Lighten the color of the walls to paint the fire place to up date it.
    maryrb thanked Linda Parides
  • Sarah Renee
    10 years ago
    I would suggest a rug with simple designs such as chevron, stripes or even plain. I think plain would be too....plain but would be a better option than the current rug. Also, a solid couch would help tons if you absolutely love the chair and ottoman! Hope this helps
    maryrb thanked Sarah Renee
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.